Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Owens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

Does that matter? He had no chance of the interception.

Usually John, if the palm is facing up then the player is deemed to have been trying to catch the ball. However you don't catch a ball when the palm is facing down. 

If therefore the palm was facing down he deliberately knocked on, hence YC, and as he was the last man penalty try.

Players started "playing the game" on that one. The fact is he had no chance of catching the ball whichever way the palm was. His body position and momentum were all wrong for catching a ball knocked up in the air.
Sponsored Links

Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 8:00pm

Usually John, if the palm is facing up then the player is deemed to have been trying to catch the ball. However you don't catch a ball when the palm is facing down. 

If therefore the palm was facing down he deliberately knocked on, hence YC, and as he was the last man penalty try.

Players started "playing the game" on that one. The fact is he had no chance of catching the ball whichever way the palm was. His body position and momentum were all wrong for catching a ball knocked up in the air.

This. He was well positioned but off balance when he went for the ball.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 9:04pm
I've just watched a recording of the game at home.  Two out-and-out Ospreys in the commentary box (Shane and Sean) were absolutely dumbfounded by Owens refereeing.  Not just slightly questioning him, but unashamedly laughing at him. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 9:21pm
They were both dumbfounded by his leniency. It was a rare spineless performanxe by Nigel Owens. Embarrassing.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:01pm
It's time he gave up now
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:27pm

should have been a yellow but you can catch the ball with one hand
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:34pm
It was a lunge with one hand, no chance of catching it. Yellow all day.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:52pm
One arm was down by his side when trying to deliberately knock on the ball, yellow and penalty try all dat long!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 11:31pm
Almost as bad as final warning Clive Norling!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:06am
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Ospreys are complaining about Owens, questioning his decisions in penalising them too much... I kid you not...

17 pens, should have been at least 20, but no cards. Has that happened before in a game?
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:06am
Oh and where is Postcode now with his drivel?

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Oh and where is Postcode now with his drivel?

he's been very quiet on social media as well
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:10am
Nigel must have left all his cards at home, that can be the only explanation for that display.

How many "final warnings" constitute a "final warning" ?
Give Blood, Play Rugby
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:42am
Nigel was his usual derby self, utter garbage and biased towards the Ospreys.

I will ask if they gave away 17 penalties and I'd imagine the majority of those in their own half why didn't we just kick everything. We really don't take advantage of 1/2p and Patchells kicking abilities.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:23am
I have been a staunch supporter of Nigels over the years but I cannot agree with his versions of events yesterday. Forget the North try his handling of the continued Ospreys infringements in the red zone was laughable. Luc Morgans episode was right in front of me and it was clearly a yellow & penalty try. Very bade day at the office Nigel - perhaps you should excuse yourself from these games in future. 
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:40am
We all know that referees will get things wrong from time to time even with the extra assistance they get and we have to allow for that. Over time, errors for and against teams should even out-I am sure this is verifiable statistically. However, what concerns me is that when you look at Owens' record over several years officiating us and the ospreys the errors are mounted up against one side. 
For example, the deliberate knock-on. I am sure every other referee in the Pro 14 would not have hesitated to give a yellow card. Owens' hesitates, prevaricates and looks as if he is trying to find a reason not to give the YC. Contrast that with a few seasons ago at the Liberty when he was dishing out cards like smarties - all, of course, against us so that at one stage we only had 11 or 12 players on the pitch.
The examples of apparent bias against one team multiply if analysed carefully. I think it tells a story.
I have seen Owens officiate very competently in other games, but in my view he should ask to be excused from refereeing games involving us and the ospreys if he wants to keep any reputation intact.
Yesterday, the ospreys had him worked out, did a number on him and got away with the negative, spoiling game they brought to the Parc. I do give them credit for finishing off clinically the chances they did have.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic