Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fonotia 3 week ban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I’ve not seen a rugby player at any level feign an incident or injury to amplify an issue or get a player in trouble

I have

I'm actually quite disappointed in both the need to trawl to find an example to disprove a genuine comment, and then to come up with this as an example.
Had his legs taken late, landed on a shoulder, and whiplashed his neck on landing, he also has a history of head trauma ( including months out of the game), but you think he's considered to be feigning injury.

Fair enough if you think that, hope you don't mind I don't.

I’m convinced you’ve got a referenced encyclopaedia of referee mess up gifs Kid A.
there was also that Leinster player that stayed down when Steff received the red card in the final. Even Stuart Barnes and commentators said that. he was about to get up, but Gibson park possibly, told the player to stay down. II think it was that fixture.
happens pretty often.

That was Gary Ringrose, and I thought exactly the same when I was watching live.

For what it's worth, I also thought Sexton milked it in the final last season. Scott tackled him and as he did so, Sexton slipped down and Scott ended up a little high. Cubby then came in and also tackled him. Didn't think that there was anything in Scott's tackle but I felt that Sexton made sure that it was reviewed. 

Sexton was soon back on his feet and kicked to the corner where Cronin then scored. Didn't Moriarty also accuse Sexton of milking it after Moriarty saw Yellow for a tackle a week or two ago ?

Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 6:13pm
Famous Habana dive off Owen Farrell in HC final

He also used to exaggerate tip tackles on himself to get other players reds/yellows. Happened in a game v france once and was successful!
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

He also used to exaggerate tip tackles on himself to get other players reds/yellows. Happened in a game v france once and was successful!

There have been a fair few dives at the top end of the game. And it will only get worse if players are cited on an outcome based process

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:49pm
It's all a bit odd and unsatisfactory... the Blues' Jason Harries took out the Dragons' Dafydd Howells in the air at the weekend - he was tipped up and fell on his head/neck area. Now, the ref may have been right to play an advantage - from memory, the Dragons either scored a try or came close - but he should have come back to the incident and given either a YC or a RC - but nothing.

(FWIW, I would think it deserved yellow as I don't think there was intent, BUT I'm not sure how it was any less serious than the incident when Steff got a red, so... who knows?)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

It's all a bit odd and unsatisfactory... the Blues' Jason Harries took out the Dragons' Dafydd Howells in the air at the weekend - he was tipped up and fell on his head/neck area. Now, the ref may have been right to play an advantage - from memory, the Dragons either scored a try or came close - but he should have come back to the incident and given either a YC or a RC - but nothing.

(FWIW, I would think it deserved yellow as I don't think there was intent, BUT I'm not sure how it was any less serious than the incident when Steff got a red, so... who knows?)

I dont think there needs to be intent, just the final outcome of the incident i.e. where the player lands
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 8:36pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

There have been a fair few dives at the top end of the game. And it will only get worse if players are cited on an outcome based process

Cubby went down like a sack of spuds that time Skelton slapped him too.

I think we’re going to start seeing more and more football-style exaggerations to what is now considered foul play.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

This happened right in front of me and I feared for Fonotia when I saw it. Yes he acts on instinct as North is about to smash him, however it ended up as a forearm / elbow to the throat. North appeared to be really struggling for a while. I was surprised and thankful at the time that the TMO didn't come in, as I thought it was a minimum yellow. I've seen a few if these given as reds, especially in the English Prem.

I don't agree with the length of the ban though, when you compare with some of the other more lenient bans given for worse offences.

Fortunately we have some quality in centre and some additional depth to handle this ban. Hopefully foxy is back fit and firing and Parkes can build on his second half performance.

Great post.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:20pm

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Entirely laughable. What was he supposed to do? Tickle him with a feather? For goodnessakes! I'm all for protecting players from serious injury, particularly in a professional era where players are far bulkier and collisions far greater than in the amateur past, but this is just pathetic. It's a fend, it's nothing more than. I note that the Beeb have reported Fonotia as having "[admitted] his actions warranted a red card." Really? The old git in me says sod it, give them the bird and tell the press what you really think. This kind of nonsense is very detrimental to the game. Exasperating!

Whatever is thought about the citing and punishment, North didn’t feign injury. He needed medical intervention after about 20 seconds of not being able to breathe. Medical support was excellent by all reports.

I’ve not seen a rugby player at any level feign an incident or injury to amplify an issue or get a player in trouble( although I’ve used my dodgy shoulder to try and escape playing for my Uni team with a massive hangover once).

Blood gate
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:14pm
It makes much sense to take intent into account.

If you did, you’d get a vastly increased ban on those examples quoted earlier, like Bastareaud and Robertson-McCoy of Connacht.

Also, you will get people that try to injure an opponent but miss through luck or incompetence.

The law judges people often in relation to the actions of a reasonable person.

The disciplinary process has so much room for improvement and the above would help greatly, imo
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Llanelliman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:19pm
Before long every tackle will be considered worthy of citing !!!!!!!!!!! Common sense died a long, long time ago. The world is becoming too sterile. All for safety of every player, but the game is going to be hijacked by too many constraints. It will soon be a game for the history books  . . . . 
Made in Seaside, Llanelli
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:47pm
Well it seems the referees in the Champion's Cup this year have been told to have a no tolerance attitude to any high tackle, whether intentionally or accidentally inflicted. They are concerned not so much on players welfare reasons, rather a fear of compensation claims against teams and governing bodies as is a growing problem in the NFL in America.
So we can expect a record number of red cards and fittings in the next couple of weeks.🤔
Keep the faith
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:48pm
Citings!
Keep the faith
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 1:14am

I’ve not seen a rugby player at any level feign an incident or injury to amplify an issue or get a player in trouble

I have

I'm actually quite disappointed in both the need to trawl to find an example to disprove a genuine comment, and then to come up with this as an example.
Had his legs taken late, landed on a shoulder, and whiplashed his neck on landing, he also has a history of head trauma ( including months out of the game), but you think he's considered to be feigning injury.

Fair enough if you think that, hope you don't mind I don't.

Stuart Hogg in the RWC springs to mind.

One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Citings!
The competition is exciting, for sure, rather than X citings where X could be a Roman numeral or simplify signifies a multiplication factor over historic citing levels.

Let’s hope balance and sense prevails.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 9:03am
Ulster an area got 4 weeks for his red card.

Interestingly, he did not accept it was an act worthy of a red card.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/10/10/disciplinary-hearing-decision-rea/

He still got a 50% discount!!!

Edited by Eastern outpost - 11 October 2018 at 9:06am
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Ulster an area got 4 weeks for his red card.

Interestingly, he did not accept it was an act worthy of a red card.

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/10/10/disciplinary-hearing-decision-rea/

He still got a 50% discount!!!

That is quite unbelievable.

What on earth is the point in asking the player if he feels it was a red card then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic