Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can we ditch Yma o hyd as a try tune

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can we ditch Yma o hyd as a try tune
    Posted: 09 October 2018 at 1:59pm
I say this as there is a great risk (in fact it has probably happened already) that this great song is being over-used and therefore losing its potency and freshness. I'm not a fan of try music at all to be honest (feel it reduces crowd noise rather than encourages it) but if we have to have it I suggest we avoid Yma o hyd - and Sosban Fach for that matter. If you want an analogy from another sport,would Liverpool FC play Never walk alone after each goal (if they played music); especially if they often scored 4 or 5 a game? No they wouldn't
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 2:32pm
Let's have  "Cerddwn Ymlaen" then. Please don't let Thommo choose it. I already leave going to my seat till the last minute so that I don't have to put up with the monotonous overloud "music" that he plays and which makes it impossible for our supporters to start singing.  Ridiculously you could hear the strains of Sospan Fach being sung on the telly from Galway but would have been drowned out at home.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 2:50pm
Absolutely Ffidel!!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 2:55pm
Scrap all music, we go to games to sing our songs, not listen to them on the pa.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 2:56pm
Its why our away support is better than our home support.

Just test it and see how better it is. Make us different. Show the world how unique the scarlets fans are.

Stop trying to copy plastic teams.
PatchAttax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatchAttax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:25pm
Fair point mate. But we must make sure Yma o Hyd remains a part of our identity. 
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Let's have  "Cerddwn Ymlaen" then. Please don't let Thommo choose it. I already leave going to my seat till the last minute so that I don't have to put up with the monotonous overloud "music" that he plays and which makes it impossible for our supporters to start singing.  Ridiculously you could hear the strains of Sospan Fach being sung on the telly from Galway but would have been drowned out at home.

Do you think that Tommo is responsible for playing the music? 
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by PatchAttax PatchAttax wrote:

Fair point mate. But we must make sure Yma o Hyd remains a part of our identity. 

Absolutely but the over-use of it in this way will, IMO, cause it to become part of a plastic, commercial cliche identity rather than what we saw last year at those Euro matches. IF Liverpool played You'll Never Walk alone after each goal then I bet it would not be long till their fans stopped singing it.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 3:49pm
I'm sorry but don't agree with you as Yma O Hyd is part and tradition of the Scarlets and love to hear after tries are scored as all around us stand and join in with singing Yma O Hyd!! Thumbs Up
"YMA O HYD"
saundersfootscarlets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saundersfootscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Scarletstarch Scarletstarch wrote:

I'm sorry but don't agree with you as Yma O Hyd is part and tradition of the Scarlets and love to hear after tries are scored as all around us stand and join in with singing Yma O Hyd!! Thumbs Up

I can see your point but I think it is a good way of getting the crowd going , and it is a fantastic tune.
saundersfoot scarlets
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:23pm
What they need to scrap is the sudden insistence in playing loud rock music 5 minutes before the teams run out.

Why ???????

We have always been seen as the 'Welsh' region, so why not some proper Welsh based music and not this heavy metal rubbish !!!!

Also it is blasted out from two big speakers right in front of us and you cant hear yourself think.Thumbs Down
Page the oracle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

I say this as there is a great risk (in fact it has probably happened already) that this great song is being over-used and therefore losing its potency and freshness. I'm not a fan of try music at all to be honest (feel it reduces crowd noise rather than encourages it) but if we have to have it I suggest we avoid Yma o hyd - and Sosban Fach for that matter. If you want an analogy from another sport,would Liverpool FC play Never walk alone after each goal (if they played music); especially if they often scored 4 or 5 a game? No they wouldn't

I'd rather keep it personally.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Its why our away support is better than our home support.

Just test it and see how better it is. Make us different. Show the world how unique the scarlets fans are.

Stop trying to copy plastic teams.
I think the away support is more vocal because it is 300-600 hardcore fans. I don't often go to away games but it certainly is a better experience usually, because of that. At home there are 6500 regulars who aren't quite so vocal

Also I think when we go to England or France the Welsh songs become that bit more important.

Bath in January was one of the best nights ever. Will live with me for a long time, right up there with Munster 07

Edited by Wasp - 09 October 2018 at 10:20pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

What they need to scrap is the sudden insistence in playing loud rock music 5 minutes before the teams run out.

Why ???????

We have always been seen as the 'Welsh' region, so why not some proper Welsh based music and not this heavy metal rubbish !!!!

Also it is blasted out from two big speakers right in front of us and you cant hear yourself think.Thumbs Down

How very dare you! Heavy Metal is not rubbish Shocked ... it's a way of life man!

Party on dude!

Wink
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 11:05pm
Far from rubbish is heavy metal but music is subjective. You'll see loads of people looking confused and moan what's this racket then they hear the chorus or a riff they've heard before and boom oh yea I like this song. Much prefer it than if they were to play steps lol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Far from rubbish is heavy metal but music is subjective. You'll see loads of people looking confused and moan what's this racket then they hear the chorus or a riff they've heard before and boom oh yea I like this song. Much prefer it than if they were to play steps lol

Yes, as I well recall from my time in school. I was one of a handful of metalheads in my year in Strade. Very aware how subjective it all is ...

... but, dude, Steps!?!

Could be worse - my best mate was an Aqua fan! Shocked

I can remember him playing Barbie girl in his Mini Metro on road trips! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic