Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can we ditch Yma o hyd as a try tune

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 11:39am
Who let the dogs out?
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:18pm
I think when Peter Horne scores, the DJ gets creative.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:48pm
Interesting article on the subject - Sound of Silence

There is an alternative. Last year the commercial team at the New York Knicks NBL basketball team came up with a radical idea. They decided their game against the Golden State Warriors at Madison Square Gardens would be played in silence. No soundtrack, no video. It was such a bold idea they only felt brave enough to do it for the first half.

The big screens ran the message that “today’s game will be presented without music, video, or in-game entertainment, so you can experience the game in it’s purest form”.

And so the half played out to a soundtrack of shuffling, squeaking sneakers, the thump and swish of the ball, the buzz of conversation and the cries and shouts and cheers of the fans. All the noises you heard when you first fell in love with the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/13/sound-of-silence-live-music-sport-cricket-rugby-nba
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I just wish that I could understand a word that the announcer is saying. Acoustics are dreadful.
I second this. I can rarely make out what's actually being said.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

There is an alternative. Last year the commercial team at the New York Knicks NBL basketball team came up with a radical idea. They decided their game against the Golden State Warriors at Madison Square Gardens would be played in silence. No soundtrack, no video. It was such a bold idea they only felt brave enough to do it for the first half.

The big screens ran the message that “today’s game will be presented without music, video, or in-game entertainment, so you can experience the game in it’s purest form”.

And so the half played out to a soundtrack of shuffling, squeaking sneakers, the thump and swish of the ball, the buzz of conversation and the cries and shouts and cheers of the fans. All the noises you heard when you first fell in love with the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/13/sound-of-silence-live-music-sport-cricket-rugby-nba

If any rugby team in Europe should be bold enough to try this, it should be the Scarlets.

Our canon of songs and chants should be enough to accompany any action in the game, and, as a set of fans, we're not exactly backwards at coming forwards with vocal contributions. Perhaps the only exception is during a prolonged break for injury treatment, but no other moment in the game really needs music blasting over the top of the noise of the fans.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:49pm

Whilst not exactly the same thing, I will say that I have been to Murrayfield & when, during the anthems, the band stop playing & you hear the latter parts of "Oh flower of Scotland" being sung with no music is did give me goosebumps.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Yma o Hyd is fine, but the music in general needs to be cut. Its too much and the crowd get drowned out to the point of giving up.

I think that's very sensible - at the Os game, the North enclosure made a good fist of singing quite a few Scarlets or Welsh songs - but too often such efforts get drowned out. Whoever is in charge of the PA system needs to know when to shut it off (fans singing) or put something on (long injury break, maybe).
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

If any rugby team in Europe should be bold enough to try this, it should be the Scarlets.

Our canon of songs and chants should be enough to accompany any action in the game, and, as a set of fans, we're not exactly backwards at coming forwards with vocal contributions. Perhaps the only exception is during a prolonged break for injury treatment, but no other moment in the game really needs music blasting over the top of the noise of the fans.

I would love Crys 16 to present this to the board as the wish of the fans. I love us being radical and innovative. Unique. Its what i fell in love with as a Scarlets fan. 

Please let this happen.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Whilst not exactly the same thing, I will say that I have been to Murrayfield & when, during the anthems, the band stop playing & you hear the latter parts of "Oh flower of Scotland" being sung with no music is did give me goosebumps.

Liverpool FC do it to the end of YNWA, and thats always the best bit.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:51pm
The soccer fans (including me) sing Mae hen wlad fy nhadau unaccompanied at Cardiff City Stadium. 

It is so wonderful

Rubrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 4:42pm
I support the ideas I've picked up from this thread of:
1. Cutting down the 'music' volume.  Where I sit it's just a noise that stops all conversation.
2. Reducing the volume when music is played, so that it is not just so LOUD.
3. Getting the person who runs the music trained in crowd sympathy.  To do this they should sit in the crown and manage the noise, sorry, music, and not hide in a control box behind glass and probably weraring headphones.
4. As for when we score - crowd noise should be enough - I know I cheer loudly, as does everyone around me!
5. And the choice of noise, sorry, I'll try to remember it is supposed to be music, is generally dire.  Absolutely, truly awful.  I'd sooner do without, or at least played very quietly.
Please!
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 5:37pm
I just don't think the music adds anything.  Somewhere along the line someone has decided loud music creates atmosphere. The same can be said for pubs. It doesn't. What it does is kill conversation. which is what rugby supporters engage in during breaks in the game. For me, it's a change for the worse.
What's going on?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 5:55pm
In which, if any, of these moments do you think piped in music/noise/SFX is OK?

Pre-match empty stadium.
Pre-match players warming up.
Pre-match players head back to changing rooms.
Pre-match players in changing room.
Pre-match players running out of tunnel.
In-game break as ball off for line-out.
In-game break before setting up a scrum. 
In-game pause for injury.
In-game pause for substitution.
In-game penalty kick/drop goal scored.
In-game try scored.
In-game conversion attempt.
Half-time players running off.
Half-time generally.
Half-time players come back out.
Post-match immediately after victory.
Post-match immediately after loss.
Post-match as fans leaving stadium. 

To some "sports DJ" it's worth separating the different parts out as I'm sure some players like warming up with music/atmosphere, the European Rugby has their own 'anthem' that i'm sure stadia are required to play, plus as some members on here have mentioned they like Yma o hyd after a try or after a win.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:46pm
Back at Stradey we would have had a chant, and booed until the blessed thing was stopped.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 7:55pm
I don't know what the average age of posters on here is, but I suspect the music is popular with younger fans. My kids aren't rock fans but they do like most of the music.

I quite like hearing AC/DC in the warm up myself and I think music is fine at half-time, but to be honest I'd rather it was switched off altogether during play. It may feel a bit quiet at first but I'm sure the fans will soon switch on. 

This is one area where I am jealous of soccer fans, like my son who is a CCFC ST holder. The noise from fans is usually non-stop!

I would like to hear the odd choir before KO and at half time too. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

This is one area where I am jealous of soccer fans, like my son who is a CCFC ST holder. The noise from fans is usually non-stop!

Bath away in Jan we we're like a bunch of soccer fans - in a good way - felt like football in the 70s!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic