Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

We need another bruising second row for when Jake is unavailable and a number 8 who's big and strong and hard hitting for those games in the wet and wind.

Owen Williams would be a good signing, he can over 10, 12 and 13. 

Having had a look at the Scarlets song sheet on the forum it looks like Werner Kruger, Tom Price, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Prydie, Tom Phillips are out of contract.

I'd like to keep Johnny McNicholl and Tom Prydie for sure. As much as Werner has given us he's 33 or 34 years old now so maybe we need to look at a tighthead or hope Javan Sebastien comes through.
Yes. I think Rob Evans, Paul Asquith, David Bulbring, Steff Evans and Dan Jones are also out of contract
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

townboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Are we giving up on Dan Jones?

I don't think we are giving up on Dan,he has proved a good back up to Patch over the last 2 seasons and has played his part with us in winning the Pro12 and reaching the last 4 of Europe.This season he has only started 3 games the win against Leinster,agree he didn't go well against Benetton think he was carrying a injury and i thought he had a solid game on Friday...Owen Williams i don't think would come back to play 2nd fiddle to Patch and it would be a huge pay cut for him to take to..Sam Davies IMHO just wouldn't suit our way of playing kicks to much ball away,which proved 2nd half against us a few weeks ago..
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We need another bruising second row for when Jake is unavailable and a number 8 who's big and strong and hard hitting for those games in the wet and wind.

Owen Williams would be a good signing, he can over 10, 12 and 13. 

Having had a look at the Scarlets song sheet on the forum it looks like Werner Kruger, Tom Price, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Prydie, Tom Phillips are out of contract.

I'd like to keep Johnny McNicholl and Tom Prydie for sure. As much as Werner has given us he's 33 or 34 years old now so maybe we need to look at a tighthead or hope Javan Sebastien comes through.
Yes. I think Rob Evans, Paul Asquith, David Bulbring, Steff Evans and Dan Jones are also out of contract
I wouldn't blame asquith for going given the scant game time he gets,
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:20pm
Rob Evans will no doubt be on a dual contract and Steff Evans as well I'd imagine. Just hopefully Steff will stay despite not having played much so far this season, I hope he remains with us. 

David Bulbring has said he wants to play for Wales so I'd imagine he would stay. Dan Jones has been great for us and I hope he stays and Paul Asquith has a big role to play, also next season he'll see more game time given the fact its World Cup year and Hadleigh Parkes and Jonathan Davies will be with Wales.

So from those going out of contract I hope Rob Evans, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Prydie, Steff Evans, Paul Asquith, David Bulbring and Dan Jones stay. 
eds
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:22pm
Just noticed Josh McCloud and Will Boyde could also be out of contract. We need to keep them both
eds
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:45pm

Rob Evans will no doubt be on a dual contract and Steff Evans as well I'd imagine. Just hopefully Steff will stay despite not having played much so far this season, I hope he remains with us. 

David Bulbring has said he wants to play for Wales so I'd imagine he would stay. Dan Jones has been great for us and I hope he stays and Paul Asquith has a big role to play, also next season he'll see more game time given the fact its World Cup year and Hadleigh Parkes and Jonathan Davies will be with Wales.

So from those going out of contract I hope Rob Evans, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Prydie, Steff Evans, Paul Asquith, David Bulbring and Dan Jones stay. 
Dual contracts are on the way out
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:46pm
Pretty sure dual contacts, at least in their current format, will be phased out in the not too distant future..

I’d like to see us look at 3 year deals for home grown players, it’s a significant challenge to successfully negotiate th3 future with half your squad each season.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:14pm
I understand why we have this thread, but I also think it's been driven a little bit by the two disappointing results in Europe.

FWIW, I do think those results were significantly affected by the large number of injuries to key players, rather than any inherent weakness in the squad. I hope those players mentioned as being out of contract can be retained - not one of them is a poor player (IMO) but of course, if the coaches can identify and, crucially, afford an upgrade then fair enough. The Scarlets are never going to be in the position - financially - to have two equally strong 23-man squads. 

Lastly - I didn't know that dual contracts are on the way out. Will the cash spent on those be given directly to the regions, and if so will the number of players from each region in the Wales squad be a factor in the calculation? So long as we get fair remuneration for the contribution made to Wales, and can spend the money as we want, then fair enough. If it's an equal split, then that's hardly fair.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:43pm
Our 4/7/10/14 are very fragile regardless of how good they are, over the last couple of years we've missed these players for large parts of the season. I would say these positions need to be added to with quality and not fill the squad from the bottom up.

I'd be surprised if McNichol stays.
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:01pm
A lock, 2 back row,, 1 genuine 7 and wing with pace
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 6:46pm
Dan Davis is a very promising 7 and we also have MacLeod and Boyde as cover for Cubby at 7.      
  I think we've got to give Blade, Kennedy and Cassiem time to settle in the back row but we definitely need another 10 and a big, carrying lock.  Other than at 10 what we're looking for is physicality, power and determination so that we can compete with the increasing number of sides coming at us with only those traits on offer.
 I love watching Patch attack but we need a back-up whose decision making regarding  when to run or kick for position is one of his strongest assets, along with perhaps the confidence to overrule coaching guidelines when they don't suit a particular situation.

Edited by Ffidel Bennett - 21 October 2018 at 6:48pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 8:52am
In line with my earlier comment I would like to see us replace Kruger, Bulbring & Price with upgrades. Werne has been very good but is getting on now. Bulbring & Price have had their chances but aren't up to it as Friday showed. 

I also agree that we need another quality 10. This requirement could well become urgent if Rhys is sidelined long term. I think long term only one of Dan or Angus is likely to stay. 
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

In line with my earlier comment I would like to see us replace Kruger, Bulbring & Price with upgrades. Werne has been very good but is getting on now. Bulbring & Price have had their chances but aren't up to it as Friday showed. 

I also agree that we need another quality 10. This requirement could well become urgent if Rhys is sidelined long term. I think long term only one of Dan or Angus is likely to stay. 

I'd keep Kruger and in fairness Price is our 3rd choice. Bulbring I agree with. We don't have a replacement for Ball and even if Cummins steps up I'm not sure he'll even be that kind of second row.

I'd love to be proved wrong and he's still very young but I don't think Dan Jones will ever be HEC material, I can't see a single part of his game that is outstanding. Which is worrying given Patchell's injuries and concussion issues.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 10:14am
I think Dan Jones may well be the 10 to make way if his contract expires this season. Sam Davies being heavily linked to a move away from Ospreys. Not being selected for the opening game will have left its mark no doubt & the opportunity ( may be ) to work with Stevo could tempt him to us. It appears we are being heavily linked with Sam & Josh Adams. 
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I'd keep Kruger and in fairness Price is our 3rd choice. Bulbring I agree with. We don't have a replacement for Ball and even if Cummins steps up I'm not sure he'll even be that kind of second row.

I'd love to be proved wrong and he's still very young but I don't think Dan Jones will ever be HEC material, I can't see a single part of his game that is outstanding. Which is worrying given Patchell's injuries and concussion issues.

A lot depends on contracts and the amount of negotiating that can be done. Ultimately we have a budget that I presume cannot match a lot of other teams. We therefore have to be prudent and if it means retaining some players who are not ideally suited, on a salary reduced contract then so be it. I agree that we are carrying some players.
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 11:18am
How many sides have a better stable of 10’s than Patchell, Dan and O’Brien? Not many. I can possibly see the call for temporary cover with the injury crisis (if things are looking bad behind the scenes), but other than that, people are not valuing the quality that we have there, forgetting that an injury crisis will hit any team and casting blame in the wrong places. We already spend a disproportionate amount on backs compared to forwards. I still question the logic in signing SHC. How much is he on? He’s been underwhelming since signing and if he does improve will be off with Scotland.
Also can’t fathom people bagging Kruger. He’s been one of our best signings and is still producing his best. Our front row is the one area of our pack that is properly covered and funded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic