Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

How many sides have a better stable of 10’s than Patchell, Dan and O’Brien? Not many. I can possibly see the call for temporary cover with the injury crisis (if things are looking bad behind the scenes), but other than that, people are not valuing the quality that we have there, forgetting that an injury crisis will hit any team and casting blame in the wrong places. We already spend a disproportionate amount on backs compared to forwards. I still question the logic in signing SHC. How much is he on? He’s been underwhelming since signing and if he does improve will be off with Scotland.
Also can’t fathom people bagging Kruger. He’s been one of our best signings and is still producing his best. Our front row is the one area of our pack that is properly covered and funded.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying. I do think we are a little weak at 10. SHC is a class act & will prove his worth over the International windows. Our current dilemma at 10 revolves around Rhys. If Gatland's comments are reliable then we certainly need a short term - ( end of season) solution. Owen Williams seems an obvious candidate. His availability has been helped by the omission of Cipriani; whether he feels that the pursuit of Welsh caps is worth a large cut in salary remains to be seen. He can cover 10/12, is a proven big game goal kicker & is a good defender for a 10.

With regard to Kruger I certainly don't undervalue him. My only concern is his age. If he is motivated to sign another year that is great news. Our back 5 in the scrum needs looking at as we appear underpowered carrying wise and inefficient at lineout time - not a great combination. Casseim is yet to have the opportunity to prove his worth, Kennedy has huge promise, Blade is class but we still yearn for the ball carrying 8 of our dreams. 
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 11:55am

How many sides have a better stable of 10’s than Patchell, Dan and O’Brien? Not many. I can possibly see the call for temporary cover with the injury crisis (if things are looking bad behind the scenes), but other than that, people are not valuing the quality that we have there, forgetting that an injury crisis will hit any team and casting blame in the wrong places. We already spend a disproportionate amount on backs compared to forwards. I still question the logic in signing SHC. How much is he on? He’s been underwhelming since signing and if he does improve will be off with Scotland.
Also can’t fathom people bagging Kruger. He’s been one of our best signings and is still producing his best. Our front row is the one area of our pack that is properly covered and funded.
More nonsense. You have no idea how much is spent in each area of the squad.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 12:19pm
As far as Krugger is concerned, he has the sort of build that would make a good carrying 8. We have Samson,Gardiner and Sebastian as tight heads. Has anyone ever thought of giving Krugger 15 minutes   the 8 position at the end of a less demanding match. The Blues' Nick Williams is hardly much more mobile, and he can be pretty useful near the opposition line even if he rarely plays 80 minutes any more.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 12:44pm
I do agree with the comment from The King about the stable of 10's we have. It's pretty good, and the envy of many.

When you actually look at the ages...Patchell the old timer at 25 ( same age as Sam Davies incidentally), with O'Brien just turned 24 and Dan only 22.

Los of scope for the 3 of them to develop.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:11pm
How come bulbring is being slated? Very rarely lets us down. Our pack held its own apart from cole being allowed to constantly drop his bind and bore in. I've not seen us struggle against anybpack over the last few seasons tbh . Defence has been poor though this season, that is where we need to knuckle down and hope the injured boys are fit soon enough
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

It doesn’t take a genius to work it out, moron.
We pretty much have world class names from 9-15 with a lot of top quality backups. Our back 5 in the pack isn’t in the same league. Not one world class name. It’s debatable whether we even have 1 first choice international.

Edited by TheKing - 22 October 2018 at 1:30pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

How come bulbring is being slated? Very rarely lets us down. Our pack held its own apart from cole being allowed to constantly drop his bind and bore in. I've not seen us struggle against anybpack over the last few seasons tbh . Defence has been poor though this season, that is where we need to knuckle down and hope the injured boys are fit soon enough

You haven't seen us struggling against any pack these last couple of seasons????? What about both games against Leinster last season when we were totally blown away. What about the 3rd round of last seasons Heineken against a 7 man Benetton pack. This season we have only turned in one 80 minute performance against Leinster, in all other games we have been 2nd best in the first half, rescuing some games in the 2nd but not Ulster or Connacht. Bulbring & Price are not good enough - we really need to upgrade. 
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:33pm
It has been absolutely proven that a quality big pack can stick it up their jumper and we have no answer.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:38pm

It has been absolutely proven that a quality big pack can stick it up their jumper and we have no answer.

I agree. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I do agree with the comment from The King about the stable of 10's we have. It's pretty good, and the envy of many.

When you actually look at the ages...Patchell the old timer at 25 ( same age as Sam Davies incidentally), with O'Brien just turned 24 and Dan only 22.

Los of scope for the 3 of them to develop.
I’m pretty certain a 10 will be coming in
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 2:52pm
Bulbring created one of the tries on Friday and has been up there in terms of being our top tackler. There is a issue of depth when Ball is away. I rate Cummins but another player would be useful. Price defo isn’t the answer or Helps who’s been around for ages
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:09pm

We pretty much have world class names from 9-15 with a lot of top quality backups. Our back 5 in the pack isn’t in the same league. Not one world class name. It’s debatable whether we even have 1 first choice international.

I get what you're saying, and I think you may be right to a certain extent, but Thomson, Shingler, Ball and Cubby are international class regardless if they're starters or not.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Couldn't agree more.  Very rarely plays badly, does a lot of the hard graft and has a really good work rate.  Re-sign him.
Joshua24:15
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

I get what you're saying, and I think you may be right to a certain extent, but Thomson, Shingler, Ball and Cubby are international class regardless if they're starters or not.

Correct. And 3 out of those 4 being injured, the rest back 5 players (Cummins, Kennedy, Boyde, McLeod...) are either not up to it at the top end (HEC/international level) or still have a long way to go to get there yet.

Our defence has been very poor since the season started, hugely missing Cubby/Barclay/Beirne at the breakdown, Jake's grunt and Shingler's line speed (and lineout work)
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Bulbring created one of the tries on Friday and has been up there in terms of being our top tackler. There is a issue of depth when Ball is away. I rate Cummins but another player would be useful. Price defo isn’t the answer or Helps who’s been around for ages

This is where we really missing Tadhg Beirne this season. Cry
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 4:20pm

the only moron here is you. There’s a big drop off between Patchell and the other 10’s. The back 5 definitely needs strengthening the Scarlets are badly in need of depth at 10. Looks like it’s going to be addressed as well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic