Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Team to face Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:15pm
Hes not a 10. 15 hes outstanding. Another option would be a 12 as a second 10.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I dont care what anyone says but nicky smith is not an international standard prop and anscombe is not good enough as a 10. Wales look clueless in attack and are reverting to the good old days of brute force rugby. Against a second string scitland they are struggling
Anscombe was excellent today
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:31pm
Anscombe was very effective today. Dillon Lewis showed up well too. A solid performance all round.
What's going on?
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:58pm
I thought Andscome was poor. He lacks authority at ten. Kicked far too much ball. He seems to be flavour of the month at the moment though..All the pundits on S4C   thought he was poor too
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:17pm
The Scrum V pundits thought Anscombe did well as did I.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I’d prefer him to Biggar, if Patch isn’t playing.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:36pm
S4C people thought Anscombe was poor and thought Patchell would play next week, I hope he does but I think Bigger will play!!!I
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 6:50pm
Anscombe is a quality pkayer but hes a 15. Thats why he playz there week in week out for the blues.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I’d prefer him to Biggar, if Patch isn’t playing.
👍 Steve
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 10:24pm
It was a strange atmosphere there today in the south stand. Apart from the Scottish fans who were great, a lot of the Wales 'fans' didn't seem that interested in the game at all, they were more dressed for a night out than a rugby game and they just couldn't sit still. Never have I been to a game where so many people were on the move and up and down like yo-yo's. I couldn't understand why they couldn't just sit and watch the game. I sort of wished I was in the alcohol-free zone in the north. Sometimes I didn't see a single person on their feet in that stand. 

It was the same on the train on the way up. Full of lads and boyos and people calling each other butt. Not talking about the rugby, just out for a p*** up. Didn't feel like a rugby day. One of the p****d up passengers on the train in front pulled the cord and the train was stranded for an hour, which then delayed my train by 45 minutes outside Bridgend and the train behind was stuck in Pyle for nearly an hour. Shane Williams was on that train and he got fed up and walked to Pyle RFC and blagged his way onto a coach to Cardiff. 

Would be nice if these 60,000 people could split into 4 groups of 15000 every other week and go and see their local regions, think it would help the game a lot. 

Other than that, the game was okay. Not fussed on the ref. Expected more tries from both sides. It was nice to see Doddie and his family. Hope we managed to raise a fair bit for his cause. 

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 9:17am
I have not been the biggest fan of Anscombe but he did ok. He wasn't great but then nobody was. I still think Patchell fit is the best overall 10 we have. I would put Anscombe 2nd ahead of Biggar. A word for Dan Lydiate. Not so long ago I would have put money on him being finished at the top level but he was very solid yesterday - one of our better players. Very solid and aggressive and carrying a lot more. Also a mention for Ken - cannonball is very apt & he seems to have improved his breakdown play. 
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 11:05am
He did ok, if you look at the game back and analyse his kicking he is quite wasteful in possession. His up and unders are not long enough, his chip and chase is too far, he had a few grubber kicks go into touch off good front foot attacking ball. If we kick like that against better sides we won't come out victorious.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 11:34am
I thought Ken deserved M O M - he seemed far more involved and committed than Tipuric.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by joni_bach joni_bach wrote:

It was a strange atmosphere there today in the south stand. Apart from the Scottish fans who were great, a lot of the Wales 'fans' didn't seem that interested in the game at all, they were more dressed for a night out than a rugby game and they just couldn't sit still. Never have I been to a game where so many people were on the move and up and down like yo-yo's. I couldn't understand why they couldn't just sit and watch the game. I sort of wished I was in the alcohol-free zone in the north. Sometimes I didn't see a single person on their feet in that stand. 

It was the same on the train on the way up. Full of lads and boyos and people calling each other butt. Not talking about the rugby, just out for a p*** up. Didn't feel like a rugby day. One of the p****d up passengers on the train in front pulled the cord and the train was stranded for an hour, which then delayed my train by 45 minutes outside Bridgend and the train behind was stuck in Pyle for nearly an hour. Shane Williams was on that train and he got fed up and walked to Pyle RFC and blagged his way onto a coach to Cardiff. 

Would be nice if these 60,000 people could split into 4 groups of 15000 every other week and go and see their local regions, think it would help the game a lot. 

Other than that, the game was okay. Not fussed on the ref. Expected more tries from both sides. It was nice to see Doddie and his family. Hope we managed to raise a fair bit for his cause. 

When is the last time you went to see Wales play? It's like that all the time nowadays, unfortunately. It's one reason why I have stopped going to the AIs. At least the 6N games are part of a proper (and historical) tournament.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 2:03pm
OK - the game. First off, let's remember it was in support of Doddie Weir - a great player and person (by all accounts)... and the WRU and SRU were shamed into making a large contribution to his charity. Pity they weren't intending to do that all along.

Many have written about Anscombe... he had an odd game IMO. He was pretty good overall for 50 min or so, but then his kicking radar went completely off - cross-kicks weren't far enough forward, dinks over the top were going to the Scots (that happened all game, really)... it's odd, but his best performances have been at 15, not 10 - recently, anyway. I feel that he didn't do enough to keep the shirt. If we want to expand our game, Patch has to start. If it's a more conservative kicking approach, then Biggar. I thought this at the time, and was pleased to see the S4C pundits were of the same opinion.

Apart from that - Tipuric played well, but so did most of the forwards... I didn't see anything special to justify MoM for him... I'd have gone for Halfpenny... 3 penalties to put us 9-0 up, always fielded their high kicks safely, always well positioned in defence, willing to put in a few darting runs to keep their defence honest - and never turned over the ball (even at U-20 level, 1/2p was exceptional in that he never died with the ball - he either managed to smuggle it back after the tackle, or would put in an effective chip ahead). When they kicked long, he just rammed it back down their throats. I think the point is that he did everything he had to do superbly but without any flashiness. An excellent performance.

Apart form 1/2p I was impressed with many of the forwards - AWJ and Ken worked tirelessly and showed real grit; Lydiate was surprisingly effective, going for the jackal a few times and carrying as well - he's developed his game; Dillon Lewis was excellent at TH prop and even Smith was tidy (unlucky to be penalised - the ref himself said "I might have got this wrong, but..."). No-one was bad.

In the backs, Cawdor was his usual combative self, and made no errors... I have to assume that he kicks long according to instructions. North took his try well and got more involved than at times. Foxy had a good game and took his try really well. Hadeigh fell off a tackle or two, but made up for it at other times, linking well and recovering in defence. Poor Luke Morgan never saw the ball.

So - a good win, though the last 30 min was disappointing (it coincided with Anscombe losing the plot). Liam must come in for the next game. Patch or Biggar at 10. Is Moriarty fit? He seemed to pick up a stinger, and did well to finish. I think we need to pick our 'best' team for Australia and SA, and give the others a run out v Tonga.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
joni_bach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joni_bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by joni_bach joni_bach wrote:

When is the last time you went to see Wales play? It's like that all the time nowadays, unfortunately. It's one reason why I have stopped going to the AIs. At least the 6N games are part of a proper (and historical) tournament.

Last time was in the 6 Nations this year although I wasn't in the cheap seats like I was yesterday. I think maybe those who spend over £60 for their tickets want to get their money's worth. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic