Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 3:35pm
Economic oppression of the masses of working class people has always been the status quo....But the elites use the ever successful divide and conquer, previously done through wealth land and the battlefield. Nowadays its done through the media. So instead of uniting the working classes to fight the power, they allow the elites to split them up and argue amongst themselves...On grounds of race religion gender age sexual orientation. The REAL war is between the 99% and the 1%

Edited by roy munster - 13 April 2019 at 3:37pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:21pm
Another bonus - Calsonic to cut 95 jobs in Llanelli...

Lest anyone think, or claim, that this is nothing to do with Brexit, here are a few quotes for you to stick in your pipes and smoke:

The company was offered a £4.4m grant by the Welsh Government in December in order to create 88 jobs.

Economy Minister Ken Skates blamed "serious instability" around Brexit. 

Llanelli AM Lee Waters, who is also deputy economy minister, told BBC Radio Wales it was "very troubling news".

A company spokesman said: "The added pressures of market instability caused by the political and economic conditions have affected our customers' volumes and, consequently, Calsonic Kansei's sales have seen a significant drop

"The company intends to do everything reasonably possible to reduce the impact of this proposal on its employees."

The Unite union blamed the cuts on the UK government's "failure to have a manufacturing strategy".

"We are seeing the automotive industry closing factories, we are seeing the automotive industry moving their work abroad, which is then having an impact on the supply chain in the UK," said Paul Evans.

Mr Skates described the news as "incredibly disappointing" and blamed it on serious instability caused by the UK government's Brexit negotiations.

Mr Waters said the Welsh Government's grant was still on the table to create jobs in the electrical automotive sector, but had not been taken up by the company.

"Their business model has been so affected by Brexit that two major customers have said to them that because of Brexit, they are no longer coming to Llanelli," he added.

The automotive industry is facing turbulent times - pressures include the drive for electric vehicles and a drop in car sales in the UK.

There is also the uncertainty of Brexit in an industry that relies heavily on moving products across EU borders without tariffs, additional regulation and paperwork.

I did especially 'enjoy' this quote from Alun Cairns:

"Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns, a member of the UK government cabinet, said "all politicians" had a part to play in the ongoing Brexit uncertainty.

He called Calsonic's decision "disappointing", adding: "Jaguar Land Rover are a significant customer, they've not been getting the greatest success of sales in recent months.

"Naturally, there's a knock-on effect to the component suppliers."

Translation: "Brexit is a disaster for jobs, we all know that, but Labour are just as much to blame as the Tories."

An interesting take on the situation from a Tory loyalist.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 3:08pm
220 Schaeffler jobs gone.

95 Calsonic jobs gone.

Countless small business folding or struggling.

Dropping of £1.3bn Tidal Lagoon in Swansea.

61% of Welsh exports to the EU in 2018 (worth £16.9bn) face uncertain future.

EU funding to Wales (worth about £620 per person in 2014) set to end in 2020.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 8:27am
Aber & Sospan - I totally respect your views and they are always well presented. While any loss of jobs anywhere in the Uk is bad news the picture as a whole is the final judgement. After all we, as the UK, voted to leave. Most widely accepted economic indicators recently show the UK economy is doing pretty well despite the doom & gloom forecast when we voted to leave. Employment is at record levels, unemployment levels continue to fall, quarterly growth statistics continue to confound predictions, wages continue to increase faster than inflation, FTSE keeps urging upwards.

These are hardly signs of an economy in freefall & all this despite the bungling efforts of our elected MP's at negotiating an orderly exit from the EU. We haven't even got round to discussing the main issue yet namely the future economic relationship. 

P.S. Sospan - as far as I am aware the Tidal lagoon project was dropped by UK government as the final energy price was way too expensive. I also understand that it is being looked at by private investors which means if it stacks up financially it may well get the go-ahead.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 8:46am
GPR - you may or may not be aware of this comment by a well-known Brexiteer:

David Davis quote: "If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy." http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-mp-delivers-speech-on-the-opportunities-for-a-referendum-on-europe/ 

How true - can we have a second vote, now that everybody can see how things are going?

Some of the brightest and best on the Brexit side have already had second thoughts - this is from Peter Oborne (former chief political commentator of The Daily Telegraph, so hardly a pinko like some of us):

It’s nearly three years since I, along with 17. 4 million other Britons, voted for Brexit. Today I have to admit that the Brexit project has gone sour.

Brexit has paralysed the system. It has turned Britain into a laughing stock. And it is certain to make us poorer and to lead to lower incomes and lost jobs.

We Brexiteers would be wise to acknowledge all this. It’s past time we did. We need to acknowledge, too, that that we will never be forgiven if and when Brexit goes wrong. Future generations will look back at what we did and damn us.

So I argue, as a Brexiteer, that we need to take a long deep breath. We need to swallow our pride, and think again. Maybe it means rethinking the Brexit decision altogether.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

Politically, I rarely agree with Oborne even though he argues his cases well - but on this occasion, he's spot on.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Aber & Sospan - I totally respect your views and they are always well presented. While any loss of jobs anywhere in the Uk is bad news the picture as a whole is the final judgement. After all we, as the UK, voted to leave. Most widely accepted economic indicators recently show the UK economy is doing pretty well despite the doom & gloom forecast when we voted to leave. Employment is at record levels, unemployment levels continue to fall, quarterly growth statistics continue to confound predictions, wages continue to increase faster than inflation, FTSE keeps urging upwards.

These are hardly signs of an economy in freefall & all this despite the bungling efforts of our elected MP's at negotiating an orderly exit from the EU. We haven't even got round to discussing the main issue yet namely the future economic relationship. 

P.S. Sospan - as far as I am aware the Tidal lagoon project was dropped by UK government as the final energy price was way too expensive. I also understand that it is being looked at by private investors which means if it stacks up financially it may well get the go-ahead.

Not in Wales, they aren't:

Unemployment rose in Wales between December and February while in the UK as a whole it continued to fall. 

Between those three months 4.5% of over 16 year olds in Wales were unemployed, which is 6,000 more than in the previous three months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47947845

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 9:03am
Aber - you are missing my point. The Uk is the block of voters who voted for Brexit so therefore the statistics for the UK are the relevant ones. We could all target areas of the Uk to provide evidence of the good or bad. Of course it is sad when the area/country in which you reside does worse than the Uk as a whole but that is life.

Perhaps our anger should be addressed at the Welsh Assembly who, it seems, are not managing our resources as well as other areas of the Uk.

As for quotes from individual politicians/hacks - why would I be influenced one iota by what a failed Brexit member says or indeed by any political journalist. I made my own mind up on Brexit for the very same reasons that I would vote for Brexit tomorrow. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:07am
According to the westminster bubble the voters are clueless people who only voted based on the BS of cameron, boris, osbourne and others. Nothing could be further from the truth. The people I know made their own decisions based on their own knowledge and experience.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Aber - you are missing my point. The Uk is the block of voters who voted for Brexit so therefore the statistics for the UK are the relevant ones. We could all target areas of the Uk to provide evidence of the good or bad. Of course it is sad when the area/country in which you reside does worse than the Uk as a whole but that is life.

Perhaps our anger should be addressed at the Welsh Assembly who, it seems, are not managing our resources as well as other areas of the Uk.

As for quotes from individual politicians/hacks - why would I be influenced one iota by what a failed Brexit member says or indeed by any political journalist. I made my own mind up on Brexit for the very same reasons that I would vote for Brexit tomorrow. 

The UK government broke a promise to extend electrification of the railway to Swansea, preferring to spend a vast sum on HS2 which will save commuters 20min on a train ride from Birmingham to London (presumably, that will be the direction of travel).

A good use of resources? I think not.

(Meanwhile, councils across the UK - not just in Wales - are being starved of cash as central government keeps more for itself - and wastes it.)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:35am
hs2 is a shambles...no new tracks no new lines...just speed and just in england 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 9:01am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

hs2 is a shambles...no new tracks no new lines...just speed and just in england 

And that's before we even factor in the further shambles that is Crossrail - I know you guys suspect me with some justification of being a pinko, so here's a comment from the DAILY EXPRESS on that story:

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:27pm
Lest it be thought that we in Wales are the only ones being sold down the river by a government determined to waste billions on HS2, here is a comment from the Yorkshire Post (one of very many criticisms of HS2, including stories in the Express, Mail and Financial Times!):

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:29pm
And in the meantime, the brilliant Boris Johnson arranged for more than £50 million to be wasted on a 'garden bridge' where not a single brick was laid:

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 2:32pm
If anyone can find examples of the WAG wasting money on anything like this scale, then they may have a point in criticising their 'management of resources'.

IMHO, the WAG have made mistakes (as does any administration) but they pale into insignificance when compared to the serial cock-ups of the Westminster English Government!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2019 at 6:04am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

And in the meantime, the brilliant Boris Johnson arranged for more than £50 million to be wasted on a 'garden bridge' where not a single brick was laid:

Thanks for that link Clap I was unaware of this disgraceful project
£53 million should have been more than enough to see boris sacked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 160>
  Share Topic