Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes Rob you're right. Hope you and your family are keeping safe & well. 
Yes thanks GPR, family all ok and safe.  Hope the same is true for you and yours.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 3:54pm
I was a tad curious about how boris could promise 3 million hong kong citizens they could move here if things don't go their way in hong kong,where would they go?
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 5:22pm
The younger ones who are doing the protesting will not be eligible according to Boris/Dom's plan. They were the ones originally protesting about the Chinese government's plan to have an extradition treaty with the mainland. Hong Kong has extradition treaties with the UK and USA but not with it's mother land!! China gave way on that, so the protestors decided to demand full "democracy", - ironic, since they'd never had it as a British colony and had never protested about it's absence!!
What is rarely mentioned by our totally unbiased media is how distant Hong Kong became a British colony in the first place. It was taken by military conquest through superior technology after the defeat of China in the fist Opium War. This came about after China tried to confiscate a cargo of this powerful addictive drug which the Empire was going to make a killing selling to the Chinese people. It's a bit like the Colombian's using hypersonic missiles to win a war against the UK because we tried to stop them making a killing selling cocaine on English streets, and taking the Isle of Wight as a prize for their noble efforts.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The younger ones who are doing the protesting will not be eligible according to Boris/Dom's plan. They were the ones originally protesting about the Chinese government's plan to have an extradition treaty with the mainland. Hong Kong has extradition treaties with the UK and USA but not with it's mother land!! China gave way on that, so the protestors decided to demand full "democracy", - ironic, since they'd never had it as a British colony and had never protested about it's absence!!
What is rarely mentioned by our totally unbiased media is how distant Hong Kong became a British colony in the first place. It was taken by military conquest through superior technology after the defeat of China in the fist Opium War. This came about after China tried to confiscate a cargo of this powerful addictive drug which the Empire was going to make a killing selling to the Chinese people. It's a bit like the Colombian's using hypersonic missiles to win a war against the UK because we tried to stop them making a killing selling cocaine on English streets, and taking the Isle of Wight as a prize for their noble efforts.

come on now FB   your letting the side down a bit here according the people of hong kong  china is no more hong kongs mother land than the people of republic of  Ireland  see England as Irelands mother land

Your a man who believes in freedom of choice and freedom of governance for native peoples of the world and the people of hong kong do not want to be governed by china

You cannot support the people of  Catalonia ,Scotland  etc  wanted their own freedom  but not the people of Hong Kong

So they should be granted independence  and we and the rest of the world should support their choice

On a side note for a nation of such a large population china has a  pretty rubbish military record , the Mongols over ran them, we hammered them and the Japanese walked all over them

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 1:06pm
What side is that RR1972? Are you now campaigning for the long over-due re-unification of Ireland, made a nightmare by "Perfidious Albion's" policy of divide and conquer (by plantation of immigrants, or/and promoting a class of people, then given favoured status, so that they then fight desperately to keep).
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 1:17pm
Me? Im all for a united ireland doesn’t seem much appetite down south for it these days. What they going to do with the loyalists. Not a problem they want or need tbh

For the record I was a professional soldier who signed up to get paid and see the world not because I am a staunch advocate of empire or to extend Britain's imperial power Wink

BTW I'm fully aware of the history of Ireland from the ulster plantation , to the statutes of Kilkenny  to the siege of Drogheda to the anglo irish war and  upto the current "troubles" very interesting if bloody topic

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2020 at 2:16pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 6:25pm
RR1972, I'm glad that you can see that the "troubles" in Ireland and many other parts of the world have arisen as a result of imperialist, expansion, plunder and exploitation. Did you realise this before you became a hired gun for the English empire or did that experience gradually enlighten you?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2020 at 7:44pm
No i knew before ive got irish relatives.i wasn’t drafted i knew What i signed up for I was proud to serve i stiill am proud of my service.👍👍.  I’ m pretty thick so it takes a lot to enlighten me on anything😂

Edited by RR1972 - 05 June 2020 at 11:40pm
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 7:44pm
Tell you what, Theresa May's deal may be looking a lot more attractive to many right now.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 10:00am
"A deal is oven-ready. Let’s get Brexit done and take this country forward" - Boris Johnson, 5th November 2019.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/05/deal-oven-ready-get-brexit-done-take-country-forward/

22nd of July, 2020:

"The UK government and the EU will fail to sign a post-Brexit trade deal, with only a few days left before Boris Johnson’s July deadline, due to deadlock on a number of key issues, a report has said.

Ministers are working on the assumption that there will not be a deal, although it may be possible for a “basic” agreement to be reached if the EU gives ground in the autumn, The Daily Telegraph has reported, citing government sources."

So I guess the question is, if the deal was oven-ready, did anyone ask the oven?

I am starting (hoping?) to think that Johnson's "optimistic rhetoric" (code for utter bullpoo) is starting to bite him back and there is criticism growing in the usually loyal Telegraph and Daily Mail over this, the handling of coronavirus and also now alleged Russian interference. And this is me reading articles from those papers to exit my own self-confessed bubble before that criticism is levelled.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 2:03pm
anyone watching the rise of the murdoch dynasty on bbc , scary stuff 

Edited by roy munster - 22 July 2020 at 2:03pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Not quite sure I'm in the right frame of mind as I'm currently thinking about just how much Russian, Chinese and US money is in our country and who actually owns what in it, plus just who exactly is donating to the Conservative party. Then our politicians are doing stuff like this:

Let's face it, we're a stinking mass of corruption centred around the City and Westminster. And hardly anyone really cares.

PS The really funny thing is Johnson is saying Corbyn is the one in the Russian's pockets. I mean good grief, he himself is literally taking their money and refuses to investigate when a report concludes Russian interference represents a substantial threat to democracy in the UK. I am beyond despair of the current situation and the utter lies and contempt our political leaders within the Conservative party have for the country. They will make themselves and their funders much richer at the expense of all of us. They are destroying this country.

PPS It's no coincidence we're seeing Labour antisemitism headlines to cover this story, either. It's already gone from the BBC's front pages.

We're corrupt.

Edited by dr_martinov - 22 July 2020 at 6:48pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 7:43am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Yes Roy it is really scary. The fawning & grovelling of politicians, both Labour & Tory certainly gives credence to my old sparring partner Ffidel's comments with regard to the bloated role played by the press in the UK. Murdoch's I am an old and frail man act in front of the select committee's cross examination was worthy of an Oscar. 

Quite why any country should allow any one organisation to own so large a % of the press/news outlets is beyond me and makes a total mockery of the premise of free speech. Next week's final episode should be entertaining featuring as it does that bastion of common sense & think before you speak - Donald, did I really say that, Trump
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 8:43am
I think the question of in just whos interests are our political parties acting is relevant.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:02am
I'm still a bit shocked over all this. So rich Russians are donating millions into the Conservative party, own a few of our papers, and then an investigation into Russian interference in our democracy finds the Government and MI5 and MI6 were simply unwilling to even look into it and are essentially just accepting Russian interference? 

Come on people, they can't just cover this up with some crap story smearing "the other guys". Of course big countries interfere and influence each others democracies - I'm not naive - but it's the fact nobody in the UK is even trying to prevent it, according to this report. All the Government came out with was a pathetic "ooo stop trying to take away our Bwexit" crap like a bunch of children. 

It's negligence at best, corruption at worse and I don't understand why the people of the UK accept it.

Edited by dr_martinov - 27 July 2020 at 10:03am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I'm still a bit shocked over all this. So rich Russians are donating millions into the Conservative party, own a few of our papers, and then an investigation into Russian interference in our democracy finds the Government and MI5 and MI6 were simply unwilling to even look into it and are essentially just accepting Russian interference? 

Come on people, they can't just cover this up with some crap story smearing "the other guys". Of course big countries interfere and influence each others democracies - I'm not naive - but it's the fact nobody in the UK is even trying to prevent it, according to this report. All the Government came out with was a pathetic "ooo stop trying to take away our Bwexit" crap like a bunch of children. 

It's negligence at best, corruption at worse and I don't understand why the people of the UK accept it.

Agree 100%.

The idea that rich Russians who have very likely got their roubles by very dubious means than then they can:

1. buy British citizenship, as wealthy Russians and others have done over recent years, and 
2. on that basis, fund British political parties and movements

just stinks to high heaven.

I'm not sure if this Private Eye report covers that issue, but it sure does show how Russian money and the City of London have a 'cosy' relationship:

Edited by aber-fan - 27 July 2020 at 1:54pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 160>
  Share Topic