Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

shes clearly bitter and accuses starmer of hypocrisy as she claims he voted down her so so called better deal
The key area it seems up in the air is the deal on services? can anyone cast light on this pls?
Yes, the EU wants to wait to find out how far the UK intends to deviate from EU regulations before deciding on a trade agreement for services.  This is huge. If we depart too far from EU regulations, we will have to pay for it or at least our services sector will have to pay for it.  

So we've taken back control then ????? As long as we don't trade with the EU of course !

Edited by ap sior - 30 December 2020 at 6:32pm
Sponsored Links

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

shes clearly bitter and accuses starmer of hypocrisy as she claims he voted down her so so called better deal
The key area it seems up in the air is the deal on services? can anyone cast light on this pls?
Yes, the EU wants to wait to find out how far the UK intends to deviate from EU regulations before deciding on a trade agreement for services.  This is huge. If we depart too far from EU regulations, we will have to pay for it or at least our services sector will have to pay for it.  

So we've taken back control then ????? As long as we don't trade with the EU of course !
It's our sovereign choice mun. 

Fact is, Brexit isn't really done.  Boris left out the really difficult deals in order to get something through before the end of the year.  The difficult areas will be left for another day.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 30 December 2020 at 7:20pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2020 at 10:47pm

Oh Dear, Terresa May has just told the House of Commons that her deal was better than Boris' deal. Embarrassed

Yes, I chuckled at that. Her deal was disastrous, virtually nobody thought that it was a good deal, on either side of the debate. Most Brexiteers saw it as Brexit in name only, had that gone through this Brexit row would have rumbled on for years and years to come (although admittedly it still might!).
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 7:54am
Well it really does amuse me reading opinions on this deal from posters who in all probability haven't seen the text. As for the relevant merits of May's deal & Boris' what strikes me is the fact that the very influential & anti Europe ERG group threw out May's deal while welcoming Boris'. Suggests to me that she may be wrong.

As for financial services - you know the people those corrupt greedy bankers and city traders, many of whom should have been doing porridge post 2008 - don't fret too much about their financial futures. The City of London is recognised the World over as one of the leading financial centres in the World and that won't be changing anytime soon. In all honesty, for the sake of Boris' levelling up agenda, it would be a blessing if their sphere of influence/corruption was curtailed somewhat. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 9:14am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 9:19am

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/mcdonalds-warns-customers-menu-items-19537902

Pretty much a non story. Would improve the nations health immediately if they had to close permanently. 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/mcdonalds-warns-customers-menu-items-19537902

Pretty much a non story. Would improve the nations health immediately if they had to close permanently. 

Good answer. Well thought through.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 10:11am

[QUOTE=ap sior]https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/mcdonalds-warns-customers-menu-items-19537902

[/QUOTE

Edited by ap sior - 31 December 2020 at 10:12am
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 10:43am

Well it really does amuse me reading opinions on this deal from posters who in all probability haven't seen the text. As for the relevant merits of May's deal & Boris' what strikes me is the fact that the very influential & anti Europe ERG group threw out May's deal while welcoming Boris'. Suggests to me that she may be wrong.

As for financial services - you know the people those corrupt greedy bankers and city traders, many of whom should have been doing porridge post 2008 - don't fret too much about their financial futures. The City of London is recognised the World over as one of the leading financial centres in the World and that won't be changing anytime soon. In all honesty, for the sake of Boris' levelling up agenda, it would be a blessing if their sphere of influence/corruption was curtailed somewhat. 
But it’s not just financial services, it’s all services. The services sector which accounts for 80% of the UK economy was largely left out of the Brexit deal.  All thats been agreed is to eliminate tariffs and quotas on goods, so that Boris could stand up and say there are no tariffs (...but he forgot to add that it's only been agreed for 20% of our economy).
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:04am

But it’s not just financial services, it’s all services. The services sector which accounts for 80% of the UK economy was largely left out of the Brexit deal.  All thats been agreed is to eliminate tariffs and quotas on goods, so that Boris could stand up and say there are no tariffs (...but he forgot to add that it's only been agreed for 20% of our economy).

80% really? I'm a bit thick with economics but what is within the services sector again? If that includes bankers and the City I can believe that, but their salaries are grossly inflated and their positive contribution to the UK I suspect is overestimated. And what sort of percentage of our economy is our manufacturing sector then?

I agree the City of London is a leading financial centre and all that comes with that: tax-dodging, corruption, greed, wealth inequality, lack of responsibility, no accountability, no interest in improving the country only making more money for themselves and their shareholders. This, essentially, is the basis of the current Conservative Party as well, or should I say their backers who prop up the politicians. All I want is it to be regulated, people to pay their taxes, and some sort of accountability for their actions. I dread to think of the international money "passing through" London or invested in property by rich British/Internationals.
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

80% really? I'm a bit thick with economics but what is within the services sector again? If that includes bankers and the City I can believe that, but their salaries are grossly inflated and their positive contribution to the UK I suspect is overestimated. And what sort of percentage of our economy is our manufacturing sector then?

I agree the City of London is a leading financial centre and all that comes with that: tax-dodging, corruption, greed, wealth inequality, lack of responsibility, no accountability, no interest in improving the country only making more money for themselves and their shareholders. This, essentially, is the basis of the current Conservative Party as well, or should I say their backers who prop up the politicians. All I want is it to be regulated, people to pay their taxes, and some sort of accountability for their actions. I dread to think of the international money "passing through" London or invested in property by rich British/Internationals.
The service industries include retail, the financial, the public sector, business administration, leisure and cultural activities. All professional services like Engineering consultancies etc.

Manufacturing is around 17% of our economy.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 31 December 2020 at 11:12am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:14am

The service industries include retail, the financial, the public sector, business administration, leisure and cultural activities. All professional services like Engineering consultancies etc.

Thanks. How does that compare to Germany and France out of curiosity?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:17am

I doubt that Brexit will do anything to resolve the issues you mention above. If anything it will make matters worse if you have a party that is financed by such backers. In fact perhaps the ECJ would have been a way of holding these sorts to account.
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:19am

Working me hard this morning Doc. Smile

Services sector in France and Germany is around 70%

German Manufacturing 20%
France manufactruring 10%
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:27am

I doubt that Brexit will do anything to resolve the issues you mention above. If anything it will make matters worse if you have a party that is financed by such backers. In fact perhaps the ECJ would have been a way of holding these sorts to account.

This was my view on Brexit as well for this issue, however, it has happened and it's not getting us anywhere blaming Brexit now. I would update your post to "I doubt that the current Conservative party will do anything to resolve the issues" as a future government (yes, even Conservative) with a different opinion still could. But yes, I suspect Brexit will provide the opportunity for things to get worse but that is unknown yet. I do think we have to break the influence of the rich in funding both the Conservative Party and also majority of the media somehow. Not enough people care or understand this, unfortunately, which is why I really think education needs to be improved as we are all manipulated too easily.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 11:33am

Working me hard this morning Doc. Smile

Services sector in France and Germany is around 70%

German Manufacturing 20%
France manufactruring 10%

Sorry! 

France is as low as 10%?! I suppose their tourism (services) is massive as it is the most-visited country in the world, apparently. If Germany is 20% then we're not actually that bad... We must be at the point where most (all?) of Western Europe is heavily dependent on Asia, mainly China, for manufacturing now. I read that China will overtake the US as the world's largest economy in 2028... most definitely we are witnessing the changing of the guard, although having a massive military is always useful for world influence. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 160>
  Share Topic