Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Brexit bonus...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 160>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 12:46pm
https://www.indy100.com/news/brexit-leave-eu-deal-regret-b1780258

Wow !!! Did this guy really vote to jeopardise his business, or perhaps he didn't fully realise what he was voting for ???

Well done sir.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

https://www.indy100.com/news/brexit-leave-eu-deal-regret-b1780258

Wow !!! Did this guy really vote to jeopardise his business, or perhaps he didn't fully realise what he was voting for ???

Well done sir.

Yet another non story. Well done that man for being so eagle eyed. So customers who would have originally bought from this businessman I assume because of cost, quality etc are suddenly going to buy an inferior product because, wait for it, they have to fill in some forms. Stroll on!!!!!!
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 3:14pm
Leave.EU, a pro-Brexit campaign bankrolled by UKIP backer Arron Banks, has moved its registered office for its website to Ireland so that it can retain its ‘.eu’ internet address. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Leave.EU, a pro-Brexit campaign bankrolled by UKIP backer Arron Banks, has moved its registered office for its website to Ireland so that it can retain its ‘.eu’ internet address. Smile
Another one to file under “couldn’t make it up”.
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Another one to file under “couldn’t make it up”.
LOL
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 11:07am
Interesting post on the HGV driver shortage. 

https://www.ft.com/content/5f832d86-827e-4596-999d-e0618364dbe3

Obviously Brexit is a big factor in why there’s a shortage of drivers, and possibly Covid too, but the piece makes a more rounded point about how unsustainable that industry is.

Supplemented by foreign labour for years, an ageing workforce and wages not much better than stacking the supermarket shelves means the supply of drivers is only going down while the demand goes up and up.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Interesting post on the HGV driver shortage. 

https://www.ft.com/content/5f832d86-827e-4596-999d-e0618364dbe3

Obviously Brexit is a big factor in why there’s a shortage of drivers, and possibly Covid too, but the piece makes a more rounded point about how unsustainable that industry is.

Supplemented by foreign labour for years, an ageing workforce and wages not much better than stacking the supermarket shelves means the supply of drivers is only going down while the demand goes up and up.

Good time for driverless vehicles to come along then.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 2:14pm
Two obvious answera are to my simple mind anyhow a Pay higher wages b) train up those not in work to do the job. Hgv driving must be better than being on the dole?  Bring back cbs to that helps! 10/4 good buddySmile

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 2:21pm
Sounds to me as if wages have been kept artificially lower due to the availaibility of Eastern European labour willing to work for less. Time for the transport industry to pay realistic wages for skilled labour. All part of levelling up which any socially conscious citizen should support. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2021 at 6:26pm
Issue is training for HGV drivers take 3 years (so I’ve heard) so the idea of pushing up wages doesn’t quite work because the shortage is live (and partially due to Covid).

But yes the overwhelming impression I get from the article is being in the EU allowed us access to cheap labour, lowering prices in the shops.

I’d count that as a downside of Brexit, but then supermarkets having artificially low prices due to abundance foreign labour also disadvantages alternative, more local shops.

Edited by dyniol53 - 26 August 2021 at 6:28pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 7:45am

Issue is training for HGV drivers take 3 years (so I’ve heard) so the idea of pushing up wages doesn’t quite work because the shortage is live (and partially due to Covid).

But yes the overwhelming impression I get from the article is being in the EU allowed us access to cheap labour, lowering prices in the shops.

I’d count that as a downside of Brexit, but then supermarkets having artificially low prices due to abundance foreign labour also disadvantages alternative, more local shops.

Levelling up earnings in the Uk should surely be deemed to be a positive. Therefore I see it as a positive due to Brexit. Why should a job which takes 3 years to qualify for be paid a similar rate as stacking shelves? If paying individuals a fair rate for the job equates to higher supermarket prices then that is a price I am personally prepared to pay. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 8:04am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Levelling up earnings in the Uk should surely be deemed to be a positive. Therefore I see it as a positive due to Brexit. Why should a job which takes 3 years to qualify for be paid a similar rate as stacking shelves? If paying individuals a fair rate for the job equates to higher supermarket prices then that is a price I am personally prepared to pay. 
I do see your point and somewhat agree with you however what I find despicable is that as these basic items are becoming more expensive the government is taking away £20 a week from the poorest families - plunging hundreds of thousands into poverty. This so that they’re relying on their own hard work and not “welfare” (in the words of the man who got someone else to pay for his home decorations, his childcare and his food!)
bills burr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bills burr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 1:54pm
despite the infinite flaws with the free market capitalist society , do you know anyone who has ever decided to leave such a country in the west to enjoy the fruits of a communist country?Ermm I can only think of sam from foel chinese take away , but he went back to his mother country due to family issues ...
B BURR
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

I do see your point and somewhat agree with you however what I find despicable is that as these basic items are becoming more expensive the government is taking away £20 a week from the poorest families - plunging hundreds of thousands into poverty. This so that they’re relying on their own hard work and not “welfare” (in the words of the man who got someone else to pay for his home decorations, his childcare and his food!)

Totally agree with you Jones2004. Government seem to think that poverty is somehow a life choice. For every benefit cheat there are a 1000 genuine hard working people struggling. We should, as a society & part of one of the richest countries on the planet, be ashamed at the numbers we have in poverty. 
bills burr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bills burr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Totally agree with you Jones2004. Government seem to think that poverty is somehow a life choice. For every benefit cheat there are a 1000 genuine hard working people struggling. We should, as a society & part of one of the richest countries on the planet, be ashamed at the numbers we have in poverty. 

Can you back up that 1000 to 1 ratio?
The drugs related crime figures of the UK have long been amongst the worst in the world yet rarely discussed...The knock on effect on everything from the violence to others, theft, unemployment, benefits system, council houses, home rentals , which in turn hits the rest of society and landlords and council properties are destroyed enmasse. 

B BURR
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2021 at 6:29pm
The answer of course is to pay drivers more but this has a knock on effect everywehere else, from the cost of busing kids to school (that will make a dent in the education budget) through to the cost of delivering petrol to the pump and everything in between.  Another great Brexit bonus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 160>
  Share Topic