Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales 20 SA 11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales 20 SA 11
    Posted: 24 November 2018 at 7:44pm
Wales keep on rolling on - 4 out of 4 in the AIs, 9 wins on the bounce. Two very good tries, some class penalty kicking by Biggar and a determined defence (as always) see Wales over the line.

Some pretty rugby, some ugly stuff - a mixture, really. I'm still not convinced by Anscombe - he mossed 2 (or was it 3?) penalties for touch, wasting excellent chances to put pressure on SA - just the sort of thing that used to get some baying for Priestland's head, BTW... OK, he put Liam over for a try, but it was a set move off the training pitch - I reckon Biggar and Patch could have easily delivered that pass as well.

Still - a win is a win is a win, and the squad is developing some serious depth, especially when injured players come back in - though it's too much to expect that they'll all be fit at the same time - Ellis Jenkins (MoM) was carried off on a stretcher at the end.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 7:52pm
Pity about Ellis, it was like JD's injury a couple of years ago..
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 7:59pm
Maybe we were lucky Lydiate cried off on the day, because I couldn't really imagine Lydiate making that run and passing to Francis or getting under that ball preventing a certain Springbok try.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 8:21pm
Ellis Jenkins was superb today, thoroughly deserved his man of the match award. Just so sad to see him leaving the pitch under such sad circumstances.
Diolch Ellis and hoping for a speedy recovery.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2018 at 11:50pm
Solid performance. Bit underwhelming second half. North needs to actually challenge for the ball in the air. It's all well and good tapping it back once or twice a match, but if you do it every time they'll figure that out, which they did.

Anscombe was a mixed bag. Poor kicking from hand, decent defensively and decent passing but nothing special. Still feel patch brings a lot more to the table, however they haven't given him much gametime at international level which is a shame.

Having Liam at FB makes us look so much more threatening. For the world cup I'd be looking at starting him there with maybe Halfpenny on one wing or bench.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Pity about Ellis, it was like JD's injury a couple of years ago..

Was it? I didn't see what happened to him - pity, he played really well - setting up one try, and preventing another - as well as some class work at the breakdown (one turnover penalty won as well as some good work slowing their ball down).

A word for the ref - overall, did a good job, and I liked the way he used low key language to defuse the handbags which broke out from time to time. Didn't seem to get much wrong - my main queries would be about turnovers won - it certainly did not look as if Marks was supporting his own weight for one (maybe two) of SA's penalties, and I'm not convinced Ellis was, either - so I suppose he was consistent, at least. I did like the way he didn't insist on a reset if the ball was coming, even if it was getting messy - they had a slight edge, but were probably pushing at an angle for one of the penalties... couldn't see the far side where the ref was for that one, so who knows?

The S4C commentators reckoned Tomos W should have been penalised before one of Biggar's penalties - true, he did sort of flop over their player on the ground, but was that a tackle? They are probably right, but I'll back the ref on that one!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:11am
Tbh we beat poor oppisition. Aus are in limbo and england slautered them yesterday abd we narrowly beat them. We beat a SA in tansition who didnt look a shadow of the team in their championship. Well done to the boys but lets not get too cartied away. Two fully loaded teams would have put us to the sword this autumn.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:34am
A good Novembre for Wales..a lot of players in rotation and some good win, the only strange thing Is the choice of fly half..
Gareth Davies Is the man of this November series
gutted per Jenkins injury.

Edited by Mr Ian - 25 November 2018 at 8:40am
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 11:40am
Leading rugby story on the BBC is "England 37-18 Australia: Where do Eddie Jones' side stand 10 months from World Cup?". I can't wait until the ones about Wales, Scotland and Ireland from Chief Sports Writer Tom Fordyce.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 1:12pm
Fancy England to win it. Bags of power and pace throughout the team and a huge pool of talent fighting to get into the squad.
Keep the faith
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:00pm
And they don’t seem to be penalised when they cheat. Always helps
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 2:28pm
All winning teams cheat or push the rules to the limit. All blacks have refined it to perfection.😎. Farrell's luck will run out soon as he has got away with foul play twice this autumn. I'm sure South Africa me Australia will demand better refereeing next time round.
Keep the faith
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tbh we beat poor oppisition. Aus are in limbo and england slautered them yesterday abd we narrowly beat them. We beat a SA in tansition who didnt look a shadow of the team in their championship. Well done to the boys but lets not get too cartied away. Two fully loaded teams would have put us to the sword this autumn.

That's real glass half empty stuff!

Let's take a different look: 

Wales beat Australia - England beat them more easily, but they were demoralised by then and lacking Pocock.

Wales beat SA comfortably - England scraped home by 1 point, and SA beat Scotland and France.

TBH, the only two teams I worry about ATM are Ireland (so solid, experienced and powerful) and NZ ( always in the top 2 teams in the world, imaginative and potentially devastating). 

I rather fancy our chances against all the rest - including England.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

All winning teams cheat or push the rules to the limit. All blacks have refined it to perfection.😎. Farrell's luck will run out soon as he has got away with foul play twice this autumn. I'm sure South Africa me Australia will demand better refereeing next time round.

I had to laugh at Cheika complaining about Farrell's 'tackle' (an obvious no-arms effort which should have led to a penalty try and a YC)... I HONESTLY can't remember the same Mr Cheika calling for the head of a certain Mr Kerevi for attempting to remove Halfpenny's head with his shoulder... and yet, that led to a concussion and a lay-off from the game, unlike Farrell's powder-puff effort yesterday!
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Wales beat Australia - England beat them more easily, but they were demoralised by then and lacking Pocock.

Wales beat SA comfortably - England scraped home by 1 point, and SA beat Scotland and France.

TBH, the only two teams I worry about ATM are Ireland (so solid, experienced and powerful) and NZ ( always in the top 2 teams in the world, imaginative and potentially devastating). 

Quite agree with the comments in bold. England are overrated. 
Lost to an uncharacteristically poor performance by NZ.
SA were robbed and Farrell should have been off the pitch.
Australia were struck down with sickness bug a few days before the match and must have felt like bags of spuds, three of their best players missing at short notice (two for inappropriate behaviour), don't read too much into the handsome winning margin.
Against Japan they were poor, despite Eddie trying to latterly disguise his disparaging remarks about Japan as a way of playing a fired up opposition!!
Joshua24:15
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I respect your opinion but i see it as more a reslistic look at the glass. Im not saying half full or empty jyst, that the glass doesnt look as good as its made out to be.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic