Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 8:59pm
Our scrum improved on Saturday when Gardiner came on
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

Our scrum improved on Saturday when Gardiner came on

Gwir. In the absence of Samson I'd be tempted to start with Gardiner so that we put pressure on the opposition scrum at the start, maybe earn a few penalties,and then when the game opens up bring Werner on for his superior contribution in the loose and carrying in particular. He's one of the few Scarlet forwards that have the bulk, power and low body angle to crash through anyone but the best defenders.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:17pm
I would be inclined to agree with you Ffidel.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:08pm
But Kruger offers more for over an hour when he starts,  Gardiner is a 20 minute scrummager these days it seems.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

But Kruger offers more for over an hour when he starts,  Gardiner is a 20 minute scrummager these days it seems.
Absolute no brainer to start Kruger when Samson is injured.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:24pm
Gardiner is not fit enough, and while the scrum may be ok at the start of the game  we would suffer elsewhere, a risk I wouldn't want to take.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:43pm
Deffo give Kruger a year or two contract unless he wants to leave. I’ve seen Sebastian come on for gardnier in a rfc game and the scrum improved.
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 12:15am
You wouldn’t have seen Sebastian come on for Gardiner in an RFC game, he’s attached to Quins!
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Since Brad Mooar is coming from Crusaders as a potential back row option it would be great to have Jordan Taufua over. He's dynamic and powerful. I'd love to have Thomas Young here if he wants to improve his Welsh chances by playing in Wales.

I agree with many on here Owen Williams would make a great signing. I see him more as a 12 and if Asquith goes then we have great cover there. Asquith can cover wing so a winger is needed especially if McNicholl leaves as well. Any of Hallam Amos, Josh Adams or Jonah Holmes would do. Someone mentioned George Bridge from the Crusaders but he's recently been capped on the All Blacks end of season tour. Bridge scored two tries against Japan so I'm sure he's going to be slowly eased in now to the All Blacks team, especially since Ben Smith is rumoured to be off to France after the World Cup. 

Other options could be Israel Dagg from the Crusaders since he hasn't featured for the All Blacks in years or Nehe Milner Skudder who has also had limited game time for the All Blacks. Both I'd imagine would be expensive. 

A big second row is needed in the mould of RG Snyman who's been mentioned on the forum a few times. Luke Romano is with the Crusaders and he maybe an option since he's in the same boat as Skudder and Dagg with regards to All Black selection. Romano is 32 mind so maybe someone younger but equally as powerful would do. 

I feel Werner Kruger could leave so a tight head would be needed. I also feel that Tom Phillips and Declan Smith could leave given the quality we have in their positions. 

Position wise I think we need a back row possibly two back rowers, a centre/fly half, another wing/ fullback, a tight head and a second row.
Interested to see Dagg and Snyman are currently in Japan as are numerous other `stars`
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 8:43am
It seems there are a lot of players leaving Wasps at the end of the season.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

You wouldn’t have seen Sebastian come on for Gardiner in an RFC game, he’s attached to Quins!

'Scarlets A' I think he may have meant.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Jimmy Gopperth and Thomas Young wouldn't go a miss Haha!!
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Yeah if the rumours are true Wasps could be in the proper cach. I think Tom has a year left on his contract but you would hope if he was available we'd be having a chat. Superb player, people who don't watch the Aviva do not realise how good he is. If he was English he'd have 50 caps by now.

Gopparth will be 36 before the start of next season so may be a bit long in the tooth for us. Great player though!

I think Scarlets released a statement a few weeks/months ago saying retention was nearly complete. Does anyone have an inkling who is staying and who is going?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Yeah if the rumours are true Wasps could be in the proper cach. I think Tom has a year left on his contract but you would hope if he was available we'd be having a chat. Superb player, people who don't watch the Aviva do not realise how good he is. If he was English he'd have 50 caps by now.

Gopparth will be 36 before the start of next season so may be a bit long in the tooth for us. Great player though!

I think Scarlets released a statement a few weeks/months ago saying retention was nearly complete. Does anyone have an inkling who is staying and who is going?

What rumours are there about Wasps - thought they were one of the better run clubs. I know there is talk about Daly & Hughes leaving for pastures new at the end of the season but thats life. Don't see why Thomas Young would want to join us to play 2nd fiddle to Cubby. Excellent player tho. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:07pm
Lets all remember how high the salaries are in the Wasps.

Money problems are such that Hughes/Daley etc are leaving for a lot more money, allegedly £500K, I bet they are on £300/400k now, so compared to the Scarlets very high earners.

The rest of the squad are also on high salaries (allegedly) so they have decided to start developing their own players, a business model which we started a few years ago.

We can not compete with these clubs, and in all honesty regardless of how good they are we need players in other positions first. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 3:10pm
GPR, the owners of Wasps are in dispute with a few people, including Coventry City I believe, and also they have to repay short term loans from patrons they had when they moved to Coventry.

They are not as solvent as many think, but aren't we all !!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>
  Share Topic