Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets & Ospreys to play home matches on JD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

How much money do the Blues and Dragons make on this event each year?  A quick calculation - say 50k tickets sold at £10 each.  That's £500k split 80% goes East and 20% goes West.

So Blues and Dragons each get £200k per year (which is enough to fund a quality experienced player) and Scarlets /Ospreys each get £50k per year.

It's a no brainer, we had to do it - plus we all get to sit together and create a Scarlets atmosphere at the PS.  

The WRU also take a cut, I thought it was 1/3 of the gate, plus they keep the bar takings

At present the profit from Judgement Day is split between the drags and blues as they give up their home fixture and us and Os get nothing. Under the new deal whoever has their 'home' fixture at judgement day that year will get 80% profit and the 'away' team gets 20% profit.

I can hardly ever go to judgement day as it clashes with my club rugby commitments. If we had a home kick off at 5.30 in PYS i can make it but up in Cardiff I got no chance I think I've attended 2. I don't like the thought of losing a home game against one of our rivals who do attract the bigger crowds. Blues and Ospreys do always tend to attract over 10k to PYS it's only the Dragons which varies between 7k-9k so surely we would be better off keeping it as it is.

It is what it is however and aslong as they don't expect to put the cost of season tickets up when we have less games in our season ticket package I won't complain to much
My point was that the profit is not the same as the gate money. WRU take a sizeable cut currently.

So if there are 50000 tickets sold (on top of ST holders) at £10, that's around £8 excluding VAT, so £400k to split between WRU and the 2 "home teams" as it currently stands. 

So it's a nice chunk. Maybe £130k each?

For comparison if we sold 7000 tickets (on top of ST holders) for our game with Cardiff, average £12 after VAT, that's £84,000 in tickets plus the profit on food and drink for the day, hospitality etc. I guess we'd hope to clear £100,000 for a Derby? 

I don't think it's game changing financially, but I have taken a very simplistic view here, admittedly

I think it is game changing.  What about Sponsorship (much greater exposure for sponsors on JD), Hospitality (huge opportunity for businesses to entertain) food and drink, programmes and merchandise sales etc at the JD event.  

Will we be entitled to this cash though ? Opening the stadium for an event does incur costs which mus be covered, and we may have to bear those for our 'home' game. I suspect that the costs of opening the PS for a match day far exceeds opening PyS.
It's a bit like Brexit isn't it.  Nobody quite knows what figures to count so difficult to make a judgement.  I'm reasonably confident that we wouldn't have agreed to this new deal unless it made good business sense.

As for those who are not happy and want to keep this game at PYS, it reminds me a bit of a few years ago when I went into my local on a Saturday night and there were a few guys there playing darts in an almost empty bar.  I said guys, you should be going into town, living it up and finding some bad women.  The reply I got was 'if they want us, they know where to find us'. Confused Smile

Just like the lads playing darts in he pub, we could stay at PYS for this one game and totally miss a great opportunity to grow our support, improve our cash flow and try out a totally new JD where we are the home team, fans all sat together and raising the roof (unless its already open).

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 29 November 2018 at 8:25am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 11:03pm
I dislike Judgment day with a passion.    Absolute no atmosphere;   watched by a lot of people who woudnt know the difference between a knock on or a forward pass.   As they say in Welsh. Diwedd y gan yw'r geinog.

Edited by LLANDRE - 30 November 2018 at 11:02am
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I dislike Judgment with a passion.    Absolute no atmosphere    watched by a lot of people who woudnt know the difference between a knock out or a forward pass.   As they say in Welsh. Diwedd y gan yw'r geinog.

I'm pro judgement day. I agree the atmosphere is pretty awful. I just think it attracts a lot of people who wouldn't usually watch regional rugby and that's a good thing. It's not some elite club reserved for the hardcore and informed. If you can convert a small percentage of those especially the kids in to match day attendance at PyS, The Liberty, CAP or Dave Parade then its a success whilst being moderately financially beneficial to the regions. 

It also allows a lot of fans (such as me) to take the wife and all the kids to the stadium which at £65 a pop on international days is not going to happen, and the kids really enjoy it, and they enjoy seeing the boys play at the stadium. And yes my wife probably doesn't know the complexities of the rules (she does know the difference between a knock on and a forward pass) and I cringe at some of the things that she and others shout but I think there is a bigger picture here!
Sant View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 11:43am
As far as I can see this is generally bad news for the Scarlet supporter. There is increased travelling, poor atmosphere, increased costs. The additional attendance mainly come from the Cardiff and Newport Region who will generally support the Blues and Dragons. If you decide to watch the game in the pub instead of making the trip (as I will) then the economic benefit of purchasing a season ticket is reduced.  

I hope it works out for the Scarlets but personally I'm disappointed in the decision.
Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Within its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 4:46pm
Has anyone bought tickets yet for this year's game? If so where from and which part of the ground?
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 4:50pm
I think I need to catch up. So when is it one of our home games. This season or next?
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I think I need to catch up. So when is it one of our home games. This season or next?
Most likely the season after next, as next year we’re back down to 10 home league games.

If the P14 fixtures follow the same pattern as last 2 years!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:18pm
Ah ok. Thanks for that. So it’s 10 home one year and 11 the next?   Plus 3 European?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 6:34pm

I like Judgement Day  its the atmosphere that's poor, with  regards this season we need us as Scarlets supporters to organise  and purchase a block together to create our unique atmosphere .
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 7:01pm
Personally I'm really shocked by how this has been taken by the majority of our fans.

Do people not remember the Roger Lewis years? We campaigned in our beautiful stadium to protest against the very things like this - home games being taken away from us and the lack of our destiny being in our own hands. Maybe I'm out of touch these days.

It's a slippery slope.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 10:48pm
I'm in agreement with you Kid A
We have a lovely stadium which we need to utilise as much as possible. The knock on advantages to the local economy are a big bonus   when we have home games with good attendances. Cardiff is a booming city anyway . Let's make our own home flourish   before we start   having time shares in Cardiff.

Edited by LLANDRE - 30 November 2018 at 10:49pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:57pm
Lets put this into perspective, we are talking about moving one Blues home game to the PS once every four years and moving one Dragons home game to the PS once every four years. Thats it.  In return we will receive much needed revenue, well in excess of what we would have received had we played the game at PYS. That alone is a fair deal in my humble opinion, but there will be so many other positive spin offs that we really can't afford not to do this. 

And the extra revenue will help us build a squad that will enable us to compete to win knock out games in Europe and the Pro14, so in fact we will be trading one home game for the potential to win one, two maybe even three home games in the knock out stages in future.  The 'stay as we are' option is not an option in my opinion, not unless supporters want to pay a lot more for their match day experience at PYS, or be content with being 'also rans'.

We are not the ones responsible for building a top flight team and also having the responsibility of paying the bills every month. If we were, then I doubt any of us would complain about this deal.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 02 December 2018 at 4:04pm
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:07pm
I have no problem with that analysis as long as the ST is discounted to recognise one fewer home game
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I have no problem with that analysis as long as the ST is discounted to recognise one fewer home game
You have inadvertently highlighted the problem there Winston, People want a Rolls Royce but don't want to pay Rolls Royce prices.

I have no problem with the ST prices staying as they are, they are already cheap as chips.  This is why we need to go to the PS - it allows the club to keep selling the STs at bargain bucket prices to our loyal fans. They are trying to buy a Rolls Royce whilst not expecting the fans to pay Rolls Royce prices.

Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:41pm
Sadly the Pro14 with some notable exceptions do not have the money of the eng prem or French 14. That’s why we lose welsh players. STs are twice as much in England. And even then clubs are heamorrhaging money
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:44pm
Next season will be, by far, the best funded squad in Wales. 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic