Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glasgow v Scarlets match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Tom price got mom for rfc , sadly think that’s his level

Along with Bulbring & Rawlins!!!!!

I'm sorry that is crap Bullbring and Rawlins have been very good for us in last two seasons. Though they not the best carriers in world they are very solid and Rawlins one of best defenders up front we have.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Sponsored Links

gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:47pm
I like Bulbring and Rawlins. You need good honest hard working players in the squad. 

I think Tom Price may leave. I hope we continue to bring Josh Helps through and work on bulking him up. Josh has always impressed me when I've watched him.
eds
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Not wishing to make excuses, but do you think the pitch affected our players.  They took a beating there last season and may have been reluctant to go to ground.  Just asking - don't shoot the excuse carrier. 

It’s a fact that most players don’t like those surfaces, especially those who have had significant soft tissue damage in recent years, does it manifest itself in the game, possibly. I think it’s worth a score for the home side just from playing on it week in week out.
The bounce of the ball for Griggs’ try for example, that just wouldn’t happen on grass...their players knew it, ours caught a little by surprise by it.

But it would be churlish to say the pitch legitimized our struggles in the scrum, 17 penalties conceded, 2 yellows, our ordinary tackling ( particularly in the backs), being bullied up front, and countless handling and tactical errors.

Ultimately, we were thoroughly outplayed. Glasgow had over 70% territory and possession in the 2nd half. We pinched a couple well finished tries, but that was our only positive contribution really.
Thanks Wil; good insight.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 4:52pm
I must admit that while I thought that Barclay and Beirne would be impossible to replace, and the first 15/23 would be weaker this year, yet the overall squad would be stronger, with SA additions and others.

That has proven not to be the case, alas.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:07pm
Personally I miss the great Scottish Warrior JB more than anyone for his experience, skills , game management and on fiield guile. We now only have Ken as a leader /winner imo (as opposed to a number of very good players in the pack) .
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 5:18pm
Blade has been good for us, so good he has been called up for Scotland after just 2 months. Unfortunately he took a really heavy blow to the head against Edinburgh and hasn’t played since.
Casseim has had a few injury issues himself and got himself a 3 week ban (which was self inflicted and stupid), but is starting to show some kind of form. Fonotia has been very good so far this season, although he is still yet to play in a settled backline, so shouldn’t really be judged yet.
None of these players were ever going to be like for like replacements for Tadgh, JB and Scott. They are different players with different strengths and weaknesses.
Glasgow are a very good team, with a bigger playing budget and larger squad, who very rarely lose at home. Last night we again struggled against 14 men, we’ve done this many times before, Benetton in Europe last season springs to mind, and the Ospreys and Leinster failed to beat us last season and the season respectively when Steff was sent off in the first half of both games. Teams often raise their game in adversity, and the other team’s mindset must change to a “we’ve won this now” attitude, and take their foot off the pedal.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Glasgow are a very good team, with a bigger playing budget and larger squad, who very rarely lose at home. Last night we again struggled against 14 men, we’ve done this many times before, Benetton in Europe last season springs to mind, and the Ospreys and Leinster failed to beat us last season and the season respectively when Steff was sent off in the first half of both games. Teams often raise their game in adversity, and the other team’s mindset must change to a “we’ve won this now” attitude, and take their foot off the pedal.

This is how I felt re-watching today. Especially how they came out after half time “what have we got to lose” seemed their mentality. We were generally hesitant, almost like we were waiting for them to capitulate...
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Tom price got mom for rfc , sadly think that’s his level

Along with Bulbring & Rawlins!!!!!

I'm sorry that is crap Bullbring and Rawlins have been very good for us in last two seasons. Though they not the best carriers in world they are very solid and Rawlins one of best defenders up front we have.

If you want to disagree with my comment may I suggest you find a little more civil way to reflect this!!!!Bulbring & Rawlins have been very good servants of the club over the past few seasons. However if we are going to compete for the pro 14 & in Europe we need better in my opinion. The Glasgow game is not a one off - our front 5 have failed to deliver consistent, high intensity rugby all season and in many games last year. We lack carriers and power in attack and defence. If you are happy with the situation thats fine I am not. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 9:13am
In my opinion Bullbring & Cummins are similar, not a lot between them, each gives something different, but in reality neither are "bruisers" and we do need another "hard" second row.

But saying that I would keep the both, Price seems to develop and stop, develop a bit more, then stop not really taking off, and may be the one that goes.

Rawlings on the other hand was superb in the last few years with his defence and just shows how difficult it is for a coach does he forfeit the defence skills of Rawlings to get another hard game.

I think Glasgow game was won in the top 3" we were as strong as them on paper, but unfortunately not on plastic, and that is the great worry, how Glasgow upped their game and we couldn't.

Remember we did it 2 years ago in one of the hardest places to win---RDS----and Leinster could not up their game, they learned, now it is up to the squad and management to respond.

I honestly feel we are not that far away, but the last x% is always the hardest to achieve.  
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:09am
I think we realised that after the Glasgow red, the "ref" would give everything to Glasgow. Commentator Gwyn Jones guessed it immediately the card was shown. We reacted by showing less commitment at the breakdown etc (where he still managed to penalise us). It would have been better if we'd carried on as normal but kicked for the corners and made them work their way upfield with 14 men.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:07am
After the red we should have gone for 3pts. I suspect that had it been a straight penalty and no card, we'd have gone for the 3 pts. However with a man short in the pack we went for glory.

Haven't watched the game back, but from recollection the penalty was centre field, but to the left of the posts. However, Patchell kicked to the right hand side. A longer kick and therefore a greater margin of error.

Pardon me if I am wrong by the way.

Edited by ap sior - 03 December 2018 at 11:20am
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 2:19pm
I see WoL are up to their usual tricks. Undermining Pivac before he's even in the job.
They'll be desperate for Wales to fail just so they can blame former Scarlets coaches Pivac and Jones... I could write their headlines for them now.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 10:06pm
Along with a reminder that we were second best by a long way against 14 man Glasgow seconds the rest of the matches were no real boost.  Apart from Leinster and to a certain extent the games in S Africa everyone's game plan seems to be kick to the corner for the driving maul from the lineout.  If that doesn't work spend 20+ phases of pick and go and one up runners.  It as like watching the second half from last week against Ulster all over again in every game, time after time.

The game was changing at the start of last season and the end of the one before with sides looking to be more expansive.  This season has been pretty poor entertainment.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic