Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wage inflation in rugby !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

Think we are being a bit hard on ourselves here. Ireland won 2 out of last 5 matches vs Wales, and we have half their population. They are above Wales in the world rankings and there is a lot to admire (ie steal!) in the way they do things but this isn't the 90s, Wales are not dreadful these days and we are not SA Oz or France languishing at a level far lower than we belong.
During the 2000s Ireland won 7/10 but we have won more head to head since 2010.
We can't be getting it THAT wrong can we, even if we are behind Ireland
Of course there is always room for improvement; but let's not get too carried away.

No I'm certainly not getting carried away Gwyn but I am looking at the development side of the Irish & Welsh players not the one off matches once they have been developed. I struggle to understand where the IRFU get their funds from to fund 4 top regions keeping most/all their top players in Ireland & seemingly bring on under 20's players in their droves through to Region and International standard. One revenue source i.e. home Internationals every season we should be well ahead of them - my calculation is around £2 million per home game thats £12 million a season which is a sizeable chunk of overall turnover. 

Look at the annual reports, and look at how much the WRU and IRFU each spend on

1) The pro game
2 The community game.

If you have them, can you enlighten us on these figures please Kid ?

The WRU spent £42m on the entire game last year (that includes the competition money owed to the 4 regions, estimated at about £11m I think)

The IRFU spent 42m Euros on the professional game only last year. (And I don't think that includes the competition money owed to their 4, the prize money won by leinster or the 5m prize for winning the 6 nations)

That also doesn't include an "Elite player development" cost of 10m Euros. Whatever that is.

So you're looking at IRFU spending 52m Euros - concentrated on the very best rugby players across Ireland, while the WRU spends £42m on the whole of rugby, possibly minus approx £11m for compeition owed money.

Thanks for that information Kid A. Do you happen to know what the IRFU total turnover was? I believe the WRU was around £90 million. 

Around £76m
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:02pm
Kid A has clearly outlined that the IRFU spend more money on their regions than the WRU. My dilemma is still where they get all their money from bearing in mind that they should be around £12 million down per season on the WRU from Aviva games. I appreciate that some of our cash generated goes to pay off loans etc which I don't think the IRFU have.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:06pm
Ignoring exchange rates for the moment, the IRFU spend over 55% of their income on the elite game, whilst the WRU only spend 47% ?

Surely the stadium loan repayments don't amount to 14 million per annum ?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:06pm

Kid A has clearly outlined that the IRFU spend more money on their regions than the WRU. My dilemma is still where they get all their money from bearing in mind that they should be around £12 million down per season on the WRU from Aviva games. I appreciate that some of our cash generated goes to pay off loans etc which I don't think the IRFU have.

They're a little vague on this but it's as follows:

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:09pm
How does their sponsorship income compare to ours ?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:13pm

Ignoring exchange rates for the moment, the IRFU spend over 55% of their income on the elite game, whilst the WRU only spend 47% ?

Surely the stadium loan repayments don't amount to 14 million per annum ?

Bear in mind, this expenditure was from last year's turnover of £74m

It's mostly all in the annual report:

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:17pm

How does their sponsorship income compare to ours ?

Not sure. IRFU don't seem to break it down. Their shirt sponsor is 15m Euros over 4 years though. WRU didn't announce the value of their shirt sponsor.
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:20pm
I thought that it was PR that was in debt not the RFU. The two bodies don’t mix
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:22pm
The Aviva holds large gigs. Perhaps that money goes to the IRFU ? The PS is a separate legal entity, so perhaps the cash does not make its way to the WRU ?

Last summer Ed Sheeran and The Stones played the PS so this must have brought in a fair amount of cash ?

Edited by ap sior - 03 December 2018 at 3:22pm
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I thought that it was PR that was in debt not the RFU. The two bodies don’t mix

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/26/rfu-accounts-reveal-loss-and-redundancy-of-54-staff-members

Seems as though the RFU also made a loss of nearly 31 million.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2018 at 3:47pm
Well it does seem that the IRFU manage to spend more on their professional teams than the WRU do despite the fact that they turnover around £20 million per year less. Perhaps the WRU need to have a good look at their non rugby cost base for starters!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 3:50pm
I think it’s merited to also say that the IRFU cleverly managed its income streams from competitions and tv deals to, lets say, be the majority beneficiaries. The WRU were locked in their own intransigence about the club game and solely focused on boosting income around the national game ( 4th AI etc) and ensuring that revenue from Europe flowed their books before being distributed...to hell with the naughty regions.

The IRFU helped build at least 2 of the Top 5 teams in Europe, and again, cleverly made the Aviva the ‘go to’ venue for big games...income from Leinster’s success last season alone is estimated to swell the IRFU’s coffers by something in the realms of £2m .. clean profit..and re-investable.

This doesn’t stem wage inflation of course, but it helps fund the market forces.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think it’s merited to also say that the IRFU cleverly managed its income streams from competitions and tv deals to, lets say, be the majority beneficiaries. The WRU were locked in their own intransigence about the club game and solely focused on boosting income around the national game ( 4th AI etc) and ensuring that revenue from Europe flowed their books before being distributed...to hell with the naughty regions.

The IRFU helped build at least 2 of the Top 5 teams in Europe, and again, cleverly made the Aviva the ‘go to’ venue for big games...income from Leinster’s success last season alone is estimated to swell the IRFU’s coffers by something in the realms of £2m .. clean profit..and re-investable.

This doesn’t stem wage inflation of course, but it helps fund the market forces.

Lots of what the IRFU do is highly commendable. Most of it. I for one am hugely envious of Leinster fans and their settled heart rates at matches.

The problem I have with their structure is that they are allowed to manipulate 4 teams over the competitions. For the good of their national team.

If I won the Euro lottery I wouldn't be allowed to own both the Scarlets and Gloucester. For obvious reasons. Yet the IRFU owns and operates 4 teams and swaps players between them for the good of all 4 and the national team? How on earth can that be right?
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 4:35pm
Wow. Is that right!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 5:59pm

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Lots of what the IRFU do is highly commendable. Most of it. I for one am hugely envious of Leinster fans and their settled heart rates at matches.

The problem I have with their structure is that they are allowed to manipulate 4 teams over the competitions. For the good of their national team.

If I won the Euro lottery I wouldn't be allowed to own both the Scarlets and Gloucester. For obvious reasons. Yet the IRFU owns and operates 4 teams and swaps players between them for the good of all 4 and the national team? How on earth can that be right?
yes but you would have chips in the shed and the parc,good luck Friday.LOL
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 6:04pm
Who tried to buy Gloucester and wasn’t allowed because he owned Montpellier.   We’re going to get there early and get chips in the retail park 🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic