Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Warren Gatland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warren Gatland
    Posted: 05 December 2018 at 9:46am
Now there’s a surprise. RFU are talking to Warren Gatland as a possible successor to Eddie Jones
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 9:53am
They would be silly not to have a conversation with him really.
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 9:55am
And they have always been desperate for Shaun Edwards
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 10:06am
Warren is a free agent come November 2019. If Eddie doesn't make the semis I have a feeling he may be one too!!!!! I would go with a combination of Lancaster & Baxter if I was Melville. Gats I think will have his eyes on the AB role if not 2019 but soon after. Once again the IRFU have shown the other Unions how its done by seamlessly announcing Farrell as the new coach. No drawn out Worldwide search boll...s played out in the full scrutiny of the media. Just good sensible honest behind the scenes planning. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 3:29pm
This is an odd statement to come from Melville and the RFU - first of all, it destabilises their own coach, Eddie Jones (unless he has said he's leaving)... secondly, and more productively from England's PoV, it may destabilise Wales and Gatland to some extent, unless Gats comes out soon and says he's not interested. 

I don't know what Gatland will make of this - he's always been pretty honest, has never walked away from a contract... but he will be free after the RWC. On the other hand, he may see it as a ruse by England and tell them 'no way'... there seems to be a sneaky bit of politics in all this.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 3:32pm
We all believe that he is after the AB role I’m sure. Baxter will no doubt be approached but would he take the poisened chalice I wonder
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

This is an odd statement to come from Melville and the RFU - first of all, it destabilises their own coach, Eddie Jones (unless he has said he's leaving)... secondly, and more productively from England's PoV, it may destabilise Wales and Gatland to some extent, unless Gats comes out soon and says he's not interested. 

I don't know what Gatland will make of this - he's always been pretty honest, has never walked away from a contract... but he will be free after the RWC. On the other hand, he may see it as a ruse by England and tell them 'no way'... there seems to be a sneaky bit of politics in all this.

Apparently Eddie is signed up to handing over to his eventual successor during 2020 with him due to leave in 2021 so he is aware that the search is on. Can't see Gatland requiring or indeed wanting his hand held by Eddie for a year. This idea came about when they were talking about appointing from within the Gallagher.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 4:08pm
If Jones is not leaving until 2021, I don't see Gatland signing up to be his second in command in the meantime.

It looks as if Schmidt is taking a break from rugby - otherwise, he'd have had the AB job on a plate, IMO - so there is every chance Gatland could get that, and he'd probably like to do it.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Warren is a free agent come November 2019. If Eddie doesn't make the semis I have a feeling he may be one too!!!!! I would go with a combination of Lancaster & Baxter if I was Melville. Gats I think will have his eyes on the AB role if not 2019 but soon after. Once again the IRFU have shown the other Unions how its done by seamlessly announcing Farrell as the new coach. No drawn out Worldwide search boll...s played out in the full scrutiny of the media. Just good sensible honest behind the scenes planning. 

If Wales would of done that, we'd of ended up with Howler! Thank god they looked elsewhere.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 11:53am
I wouldn't want Rob Howley as Wales coach as we need a change of the old guard but Gatland obviously has great faith in his abilities or he wouldn't have been with him so long. I don't get the personal abuse really which I think has just become gratuitous over time on our part akin to the Pantomine baddie for some reason. He seems a pretty decent man overall with a great playing record and a Welshman. All very odd I find personally. Give the guy a break folks.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 12:43pm
IMO he will be sticking around the Northern Hemisphere and will be the next Lions coach. first coach to have coached the three tours...and potentially, never lost one.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 2:57pm
Can they afford him? 
Will the clubs give him enough time with players?
Will he be able to bring together the backroom he wants? (Edwards likely back to league, Howley's ice cream van needing attending)

Non starter. But Gatland in charge of an England team that regularly churns out massive back rowers and backs would be terrifying for the rest of the NH.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 3:20pm
Well the richest RFU in the World should be able to afford him but recent financial performance suggests otherwise. I see McCall & Baxter have distanced themselves from the job so that leaves Deano and Lancaster as the English/Premiership options. Can't see the stuffed shirts at HQ allowing Deano to do the job so its over the New Zealand again or maybe they will talk to Jake White who feels he is the man to turn to in a crisis. This years 6 nations will be very informative and starts with a bang with England taking on Ireland. Lose that & also the game in Cardiff & Eddie may not even make the plane to Japan!!!!Cry
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Can they afford him? 
Will the clubs give him enough time with players?
Will he be able to bring together the backroom he wants? (Edwards likely back to league, Howley's ice cream van needing attending)

Non starter. But Gatland in charge of an England team that regularly churns out massive back rowers and backs would be terrifying for the rest of the NH.

not likely, its been confirmed. Wigan Warriors head coach after the world cup. that was made official a while back. He has also confirmed a fair few interest from union players expressing an interest to join Wigan.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

IMO he will be sticking around the Northern Hemisphere and will be the next Lions coach. first coach to have coached the three tours...and potentially, never lost one.

Gatland said he didn't want to do another one... he's stuck to his guns in the past, and I doubt this'll be any different.

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Gatland said he didn't want to do another one... he's stuck to his guns in the past, and I doubt this'll be any different.

cheers for that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic