Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ken Owens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:00pm
Agree with winston stupid decision to not take the points. There is definitely tension going on between players and coaches it’s bloody obvious! We had all the stats apart from turnovers couldn’t score for anything. I believe this will not be a pretty end to the season and we’ll do well to beat the dragons with these current performances.
Sponsored Links

Rainbow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:16pm
Hi, I sit in the south stand and the message from the side of the field was very clear kick to the corner.
Dai Flanigan was very vocal and pointed to the corner! I don’t understand this either as the score early on in the second half could have been 11-10! Totally different game if they had kicked the points.
Snowflake
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:21pm
Thanks E. Spot on.

These sorts of key calls will nearly always originate from the coaches.

They were rank poor calls however.

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

I’m amazed by the negativity on this forum

If we followed the “if you ain’t got nothing nice to say, don’t say nothing at all” dictum the servers would sleep very well tonight
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:35pm
Dai Flanigan is not part of Scarlets 1sts  coaching team. He must have been allocated that responsibility tonight.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

During a game when Ken was in the commentary box last season, I clearly remember him saying he always goes for the 3 points when on offer. So maybe the opening post is barking up the wrong tree.

On one of the calls Cawdor was quite animated - whether he wanted the 3 points or not I’m not sure. Ken is a warrior and none of this is his fault. He probably needs a break though. Seemed very frustrated.
Rainbow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:58pm
Day Flanigan is always on the side shouting orders out. I have seen him there more than one occasion.
Snowflake
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 12:06am
It's definitely the Coaches call when penalty kicks are turned down probably 30-40 points lost this season and three defeats,but we will never learn no other Welsh Region would be so wasteful ..

Edited by 157cb - 30 December 2018 at 12:10am
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 1:12am
It may have escaped some's notice but we didn't actually start the game with a recognised goal kicker, just a long range 'hit and hope' type kicker.  Right or wrong, coach or captain, we didn't have a goal kicker on the field until injury forced it to happen.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 6:32am
Regardless of who called the plays, they were poor calls.

5-10 down...we’d made no progress in the first period of the 2nd half. Points on offer. Kick for the corner. I’m staggered really.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 6:55am
Ken is a quality player but to turn down these nailed on 9 points was madness....Poor old Ken had a shocker tonight , he spilled a load of ball too
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 6:56am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

It may have escaped some's notice but we didn't actually start the game with a recognised goal kicker, just a long range 'hit and hope' type kicker.  Right or wrong, coach or captain, we didn't have a goal kicker on the field until injury forced it to happen.

selecting parkes at 10 and no kicker was madness....then we actually turned down the 9 easy points when dan WAS on the field and there was no wind either? Just bizarre
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 7:04am
Ken is a true Scarlets lover and some decisions are obfuscated by his love for shirt, region and team...maybe it s the case to think to search an other capt...in a team every player have to be captain of himself and one to take lucid choices..
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 9:25am
Kicking for the corners was not Ken’s call.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

During a game when Ken was in the commentary box last season, I clearly remember him saying he always goes for the 3 points when on offer. So maybe the opening post is barking up the wrong tree.

On one of the calls Cawdor was quite animated - whether he wanted the 3 points or not I’m not sure. Ken is a warrior and none of this is his fault. He probably needs a break though. Seemed very frustrated.
What I was alluding to, as others have said - it wasn't his call.  Cawdor took a tap penalty in a kickeable position and we went to the corner at least twice - thats 9 points, but none were Ken's calls it seems.

Where I am concerned with our leadership is that our opinions don't seem to carry weight with the officials. Our Nige should have been made to ask the TMO to look at Turnbull's hand in the ruck before the first try.  Cawdor and Ken tried to influence him but were swoted away. You just know that AWJ, Tipuric and Biggar would have got him to look at that incident.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2018 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

Haha. I did blame my wife tonight. I said Scarlets had won every match before she started coming.   Should have beaten Racing. No idea how they came to within a point of Ulster.   Tonight was dreadful. Can’t tackle for toffee. What I have observed is that the diehard supporters always mention Gloucester instead of looking closer to home. Night good sir. Time to retire

exactly how I felt last week, 3 times i have watched us at the liberty, 3 times we have lost......won't be going again LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic