Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Priestland leaving Bath at end of season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

He's 32 today actually ( penblwydd hapus).

I'm a fan of having healthy competition in every shirt from 1-15...Rhys would present that to Rhys Patch, where maybe Dan is a shade lower in comparison ( might well come through though).

Having said that I'm also not a great fan of 'going back to your roots' either...in many cases the axis of the decision is often warped by sentiment (both player and club) or a sort of siege mentality that distorts it from being the right decision.

Yes, going back doesn't normally seem to work out.

He should go and enjoy himself behind a massive pack in France whilst earning some big bucks.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:58pm
Yes, I think we know how you feel.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

He's 32 today actually ( penblwydd hapus).

I'm a fan of having healthy competition in every shirt from 1-15...Rhys would present that to Rhys Patch, where maybe Dan is a shade lower in comparison ( might well come through though).

Having said that I'm also not a great fan of 'going back to your roots' either...in many cases the axis of the decision is often warped by sentiment (both player and club) or a sort of siege mentality that distorts it from being the right decision.

Yes, going back doesn't normally seem to work out.

He should go and enjoy himself behind a massive pack in France whilst earning some big bucks.

Worked for Foxy, Stevo, SQ, Dai Hodges. There may be others that I can't think of at present.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 4:42pm
Yep. Not sure we got their best years 2nd time around though?
And that's my point really.
Would they have had the same chance, remuneration etc at another club at that point in their career?

...I'm always concerned when I read the tag 'he's one of ours--bring him home sort of thing'...no such phrase should be uttered in a pro sport board room.

Putting any sentiment aside, looking at our 10 profile (and 15 cover) too, all in all I think Rhys, with the right terms, is a real value add for us.

The guy is a class operator.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:18pm

Yep. Not sure we got their best years 2nd time around though?
And that's my point really.
Would they have had the same chance, remuneration etc at another club at that point in their career?

...I'm always concerned when I read the tag 'he's one of ours--bring him home sort of thing'...no such phrase should be uttered in a pro sport board room.

Putting any sentiment aside, looking at our 10 profile (and 15 cover) too, all in all I think Rhys, with the right terms, is a real value add for us.

The guy is a class operator.

I'd say yes with SQ and Dai Hodges. SQ was very young when he left for Wigan.

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 5:24pm
He would be a great solid squad operator at 10 and 15 with no Wales distractions as well. If any combination of Jonny Mc and/or Dan leave and heaven forbid Leigh is off long term, then the case for a Rhys  is pretty compelling I think.
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:04pm
Good player been injured a lot this year mind.
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:22pm
Would love to see Rhys back playing at PYS.
Is there a possibility of some sort of agreement towards joining the coaching team in the future?
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:26pm
I think he will command a big wage, if so, at 32 will not be money well spent. A younger 10 would be a better option long term, and obviovously the pack needs reinforcing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 6:48pm
Having both Rhys’s here would be some coup. However, I can’t see either of them being second fiddle to the other or even having equal game time on rotation at this stage of their careers.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Having both Rhys’s here would be some coup. However, I can’t see either of them being second fiddle to the other or even having equal game time on rotation at this stage of their careers.

I'm a big fan if both but Rhys junior has now moved comfortably ahead of Rhys Snr in my opinion. Rhys would know he'd be back here as 2nd choice and I think he'd be happy with that and to come back on a salary that wouldn't be that big and less than he'd get elsewhere.

Be great to have him back
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic