Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project Reset Q&A evening with Nigel Short

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

A lot of project reset hasn't been finalised but the main things I can remember from tonight is that next season's budget hasn't been finalised. The new coach will arrive in July. Steff Evans will be a Scarlet player next season. Premier sport's are very happy with subscriptions. It's exceeded there expectation.

Great to hear that Steff has another year on his contract and is going nowhere,also got the feeling when asked at the meeting that Josh Adams and Rhys Priestland will not be joining us..
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:54am

CRYS16 
  Audience 
  with 
  Nigel 
  Short 
  & 
  Jon 
  Daniels 

January 
  15th, 
  @7pm 

Nigel  Short  began  by  explaining  that  despite  the  Scarlets  being  in  a  posi5on  to  meet  their  criteria  in  order  to  progress  with  Project  Reset  back  in  September,  they  were  s5ll  not  as  advanced  with  regards  to  finalising  everything  as  had  been  hoped.  

He  con5nued  to  explain  that  the  WRU’s  take  over  of  the  Dragons  Region  had  given  them  a  greater  understanding  of  the  pressures  of  running  a  Region  and  had  prompted  the  re-­‐organising  of  the  game  in  Wales  with  David  LoveI  appointed  to  oversee  the  most  radical  restructuring  the  game  has  seen  since  it  became  professional.  

Some  changes  have  already  been  implemented  –  

• The  WRU  Governing  Body  has  been  reduced  from  20  members  to  12.  

• The  Community  Board  will  be  responsible  for  the  Community  Game,  with  funding  ringfenced.  

• The  Professional  Rugby  Board  will  be  responsible  for  the  Professional  game,  including  the  running  of  the  Principality  Stadium,  the  Regions,  Sponsorship  etc.  

• The  Professional  Rugby  Board  will  contain  5  en55es  –  the  four  regions,  plus  the  WRU  –  these  en55es  will  remain  independent,  there  is  no  new  funding,  but  all  funding  will  come  from  the  one  pot.  

Nigel  Short  stressed  that  it  was  the  ‘end  of  the  beginning’  –  that  would  not  make  a  big  difference  overnight  and  it  would  possibly  be  4-­‐5  years  before  we  see  any  huge  advances.  

A  major  factor  going  forward  is  the  involvement  of  a  large  Private  Equity  Company  called  CVC  that  has  bought  the  commercial  rights  of  the  PRL  and  it  is  an5cipated  that  the  Pro14  which  involves  4  Unions,  including  S.A.  Rugby  would  be  an  aIrac5ve  investment  for  them  in  the  future.  

Due  to  this,  Nigel  Short  believes  that  despite  being  unable  to  expect  a  Welsh  Region  to  consistently  compete  in  Europe  on  current  budgets,  along  with  the  affordability  of  4  Regions,  4  Regions  will  remain.  

He  added  that  the  whole  structure  of  the  European  compe55on  is  up  for  renewal  in  2021  as  it  has  been  accepted  that  the  current  structure  is  not  working.  

Player 
  Bandings 
  / 
  Recruitment 

This  has  been  extensively  discussed  with  the  players,  with  a  posi5ve  reac5on.  Currently  the  banding  does  not  include  Non-­‐Welsh  Qualified  players.    

The  banding  starts  at  Academy  Level,  through  to  New  Professional  –  Regional  Professional  –  New  Interna5onal.  

Currently  no  regions  have  a  finalised  budget  which  is  affec5ng  recruitment  and  reten5on,  this  could  risk  players  going  out  of  Wales  to  play  their  rugby.  

With  the  banding  replacing  the  Na5onal  Dual  Contracts,  Nigel  Short  confirmed  that  it  will  make  no  difference  as  the  Regions  will  s5ll  get  the  60%  contribu5on  to  player  wages,  but  it  will  be  from  the  central  pot  instead.  

This  banding  will  also  discourage  inter-­‐Regional  player  transfers  as  another  region  will  be  unable  to  en5ce  a  player  outside  of  their  banding.  On  the  other  hand  they  won’t  be  able  to  undercut  a  player’s  value  once  they  have  been  placed  in  a  banding  either.  Sanc5ons  will  be  in  place  for  those  who  don’t  adhere.  

There  will  be  some  flexibility  as  it  is  recognised  that  some  players  are  worth  more  to  a  region  than  their  banding.    

There  will  be  a  Regional  Marquee  Banding  with  allows  a  player  to  be  paid  above  their  banding,  but  this  cost  is  met  by  the  Region.  

Jon  Daniels  confirmed  that  some  significant  reten5on  has  already  been  done  for  next  season,  with  others  having  been  told  that  they  want  to  be  kept  despite  not  being  in  a  posi5on  at  present  to  complete  these  contracts.  Very  few  players  have  been  released  and  discussions  are  on-­‐going  with  Brad  Mooar  with  regards  to  where  we  need  to  recruit  for  next  season.  Even  without  recruitments,  with  young  players  coming  through,  we  already  have  a  good  squad  in  place  for  next  season.  

With  Josh  Adams  and  Rhys  Priestland  out  of  contract  and  looking  to  make  a  return  to  Wales,  Jon  Daniels  admiIed  that  both  are  quality  players  at  different  ends  of  their  careers.  All  four  regions  should  be  interested  but  at  the  Scarlets,  they  have  to  ensure  the  dynamics  are  right  with  the  players  already  here.  No  decision  has  been  either  way  with  regards  to  Adams  as  a  lot  of  factors  have  to  be  taken  into  considera5on  as  it  would  mean  bringing  in  another  Interna5onal  Player.  He  added  that  there  had  been  no  discussions  with  either  Priestland  or  his  agent.  

Funding 

It  was  stressed  that  there  is  no  new  funding,  but  the  Scarlets  will  not  receive  any  less  funding  that  in  previous  seasons    and  will  get  more  than  other  Regions,  mainly  due  to  recent  success  and  the  number  of  players  that  they  provide  for  the  Na5onal  team.  

League 

The  A  League  was  a  fantas5c  first  season  for  the  Scarlets,  however,  there  are  areas  that  can  be  improved.  Unfortunately,  next  season  will  be  disrup5ve  due  to  the  Rugby  World  Cup,  however,  the  IRFU  have  proposed  for  the  A  League  to  be  extended  in  the  future.  

Commercial 
  Performance 

A  successful  commercial  performance  is  a  cri5cal  factor.  Nigel  Short  commented,  “If  we  haven’t  got  the  business  right,  there  is  no  rugby.”  

He  revealed  that  the  Scarlets  go  into  this  project  with  a  posi5ve  balance  sheet  of  £4-­‐£5  million,  with  directors  wri5ng  off  their  debts  totally.  With  over  160  sponsors  in  the  Region,  the  Scarlets  are  head  and  shoulders  above  other  regions.    Addi5onally,  the  Scarlets  own  their  own  Stadium  and  are  not  compe5ng  with  football.    

He  admiIed  that  historically  next  year  could  be  a  tough  year  as  it  is  a  World  Cup  year,  however  the  

Scarlets’  commercial  sponsorship  is  stable  as  many  are  contracted  for  a  period  rather  than  annually.  

Brexit  could  also  have  an  impact  on  recrui5ng  Overseas  Players  due  to  the  fluctua5ng  strength  of  the  £.  World 
  Season 
  Structure 

It  was  confirmed  that  World  Rugby  is  looking  in  to  the  current  season  structure.  Next  season  the  Scarlets  will  play  9  league  games  during  the  Interna5onal  window.  

Whilst  the  ideal  would  be  to  have  the  Boxing  Day  fixture  back,  due  to  player  welfare  the  only  other  op5on  would  then  be  to  play  another  fixture  during  the  Interna5onal  window.  

There  has  been  an  alterna5ve  proposal  to  the  League  &  European  Cup  Structure  during  the  World  Cup,    these  will  be  discussed  in  a  mee5ng  on  January  17th,  but  it  could  mean  Europe  being  delayed  un5l  aier  the  WC  and  being  played  during  the  Interna5onal’s  rest  period.  

As  part  of  Project  Reset,  a  Business  Management  Board  has  been  set  up.  This  board  is  looking  at  

collec5vely  arranging  deals  that  will  benefit  all,  e.g.  insurances.    One  of  the  projects  they  are  looking  at  is  Judgement  Day  which  is  going  to  be  revamped  and  built  upon  to  become  a  bigger  and  beIer  product.  Coaching 
  Team 

Brad  Mooar  will  be  arriving  in  July.  He  came  over  before  Christmas  and  personally  met  all  the  players  and  staff  members.  Wayne  also  begins  his  job  with  the  WRU  in  July,  but  a  transi5on  period  has  already  begun.  

Jon  Daniels  confirmed  that  Ioan  Cunningham  is  staying  with  the  Scarlets.  Wayne  is  in  the  process  of  appoin5ng  his  Defence  Coach,  but  nothing  with  regards  to  Byron  Hayward  is  confirmed.  

No  other  members  of  Brad’s  Coaching  team  have  been  confirmed  yet,  but  both  Brad  and  Jon  Daniels  have  interviewed  several  prospec5ve  candidates.  

Llanelli 
  RFC 

The  Scarlets  are  commiIed  to  working  with  all  three  of  the  feeder  teams  with  the  aim  to  keep  them  all  in  the  Premiership.  When  the  decision  was  made  to  reduce  the  number  of  teams  to  12,  the  Region  fought  to  ensure  that  this  comprised  of  3  teams  from  each  region,  but  unfortunately  lost  the  vote.  

On  a  weekly  basis,  Jon  and  Kevin  George  meet  with  the  coaching  teams  of  Llanelli,  Carmarthen  Quins  and  

Llandovery  to  discuss  the  distribu5on  of  players,  taking  into  considera5on  a  number  of  factors.  

CRYS16’s 
  next 
  event 
  is 
  on 
  Tuesday, 
  March 
  12th, 
  – 
  An 
  Evening 
  with 
  Greg 
  Garner, 
  PRO14 
  Elite 

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 1:19pm
You don’t need to post this here on an open forum .Why don’t Supporters just join to gain this information direct!It’s free but obviously a donation is very welcome by the trustees 👍

Edited by reesytheexile - 07 February 2019 at 1:42pm
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 3:22pm
Why is ti deemed rude? Annoying
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 7:18pm
Mate I can put what I want on here when I want to. Hypocrite

Edited by turkishrebel - 07 February 2019 at 7:18pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Mate I can put what I want on here when I want to. Hypocrite

"Ouch" turkishrebel was this directed to me? If so, its  a bit  personal which isn't at all like you. You can of course, post as you wish  but on my post I think there is a misunderstanding here which is probably  due to the way I posted and if so, I apologise. All I was trying to literally say to you and really other members here, is that there  should be no need to post the Crys Members Minutes when Crys Members all get their own copy  direct. With us all being Scarlets supporters and with Crys membership being free I would have thought that the vast majority on SF would also be Crys Members but ,of course, I may be wrong there.

I also want to suggest, admittedly as a long standing Crys member and former Trustee/Crys Hon Secretary, is that everyone on the SF Forum strongly considers joining Crys16 to boost its impact. As  our sole collective fans voice why wouldn't people join with its benefits ? that may a separate debate in itself I suspect !

Anyway enough said. Please do  PM my if anything else bothers you.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 12:47pm
yes it was directed at you, did not appreciate the way you worded your reply. will take your apology and leave as is.
crys do an important job for us fans and I appreciate all the time yourself and other members of the board who put in so much work to help us.
I don't think there is a team out there that has such dedicated and hard working fans and I thank you all especially in the dark years during regionalisation and afterwards.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

yes it was directed at you, did not appreciate the way you worded your reply. will take your apology and leave as is.
crys do an important job for us fans and I appreciate all the time yourself and other members of the board who put in so much work to help us.
I don't think there is a team out there that has such dedicated and hard working fans and I thank you all especially in the dark years during regionalisation and afterwards.

👍
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 1:55pm
The advent of Project Reset means that PRW will effectively cease to exist, replaced by the WRU Professional Rugby Board (PRB) made up of the WRU, 4 Regions and independent directors.

Mark Davies, who steered Scarlets and latterly RRW/PRW through the WRU versus Welsh Rugby war, and worked with PRO14 to develop its commercial focus, will sadly no longer be involved in the game.

Edited by NobbySosban - 11 February 2019 at 1:56pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:39pm
Now that is a shame. Impressed me.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 4:01pm
Mark Davies we were   told in the Crys meeting, is still   heavily involved at the coalface of professional rugby, but I forget exactly what his   exact   role is.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:53pm
Well its Mark's business I guess and I am sure we all wish him well whatever happens. Always found him pretty approachable and nobody's fool !
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:30am
I think Nigel Short mentioned broadcaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic