Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ken Owens Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ken Owens Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 12 January 2019 at 11:39pm
The Sheriff is phenomenal. Discuss:
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:18am
Imo 2 man of match performances at 8 . Should it continue ? He has been a revelation at 8. Discuss!🤔
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:24am
The thing is, we don't lose anything when the Sheriff plays at 8. He's as much of a presence as he would be when starting as hooker. Of course, when Blade returns, he will be at the back at the scrum - but what a job Ken is doing!
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 12:58am
I think we could continue playing Ken at 8 if we were able to bulk up around him. Tonight’s performance showed that Ken’s build, engine and pride in the Scarlets badge is good enough against average sides, but we didn’t dominate the scrums due to our lack of bulk/size around him. If we were up against a huge pack of forwards, like a Leinster, Munster or Saracens, I believe Ken would struggle to be as effective as he has in the past 2 weeks.
The plus from Ken’s performance tonight is the fact that we now know that he can do a job there, if required.
Da iawn Ken, diolch.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 4:31am
I don’t think the position he played in should overshadow his heart, huge commitment and leadership by example.

I would say that being at 8 does mean you have the ball a little more, and in slightly wide channels, with those things, well, he didn’t disappoint.
onlyturkinthevillage View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlyturkinthevillage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 6:28am
Ken has fitted into the shirt while we have needed him. The bloke is 100% scarlet every game, whatever position. I enjoyed watching ken and Ryan Elias on the pitch at the same time. Ryan is a quality back up to ken.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by onlyturkinthevillage onlyturkinthevillage wrote:

Ken has fitted into the shirt while we have needed him. The bloke is 100% scarlet every game, whatever position. I enjoyed watching ken and Ryan Elias on the pitch at the same time. Ryan is a quality back up to ken.

The two best forward ball carriers we have. Ken is a true great of the club up there with the best. His achievements will only be properly appreciated when he retires.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 8:44am
agree ken has been superb out of position and perhaps when Winston has finished roasting Gloucester players on their forum for being smashed by munster he can acknowledge how well ken has played.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 9:35am

Scarlets Legend his Ken !
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:13am
Absolute hero. A very special Scarlet!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

agree ken has been superb out of position and perhaps when Winston has finished roasting Gloucester players on their forum for being smashed by munster he can acknowledge how well ken has played.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:03am
Turned down kickeable penalties to go for the corner mind. Smile

I'll get my coat. Embarrassed
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Thought Dan Jones was the water boy and we were playing an out of form centre at 10. Confused
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Thought Dan Jones was the water boy and we were playing an out of form centre at 10. Confused
Pardon! Dan Jones was 10 yesterday wasn't he and his kicking to the corners was immaculate, as ever, which gave us field position and helped us build a scoreline that couldnt be caught.  Seemed I tried to demonstrate through humour (and failed miserably) that sometimes it's ok to kick to the corners.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 13 January 2019 at 11:24am
Winston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:23am
Winston has been in bed sick for a week and missed the match last night.   To put the record straight I don’t believe that I criticised Ken as a player. I criticised the decision making. That was then made clear that it was the coaches that made those decisions and I apologised to ken for my comments. But please don’t allow the truth to get in the way of a good story
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

Winston has been in bed sick for a week and missed the match last night.   To put the record straight I don’t believe that I criticised Ken as a player. I criticised the decision making. That was then made clear that it was the coaches that made those decisions and I apologised to ken for my comments. But please don’t allow the truth to get in the way of a good story
Get well soon Winston.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic