Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade
    Posted: 16 January 2019 at 3:39pm
Was injured in Nov 4th.

I know Pivac wanted to rest him but as he is not in the Scotland squad, surely he will be back for the Pro 14 games we have during the Six Nations.?

He will have had nearly 3 months recovery so should be ready to go.

We could have a tasty back row with him and Cubby and even Josh at 8 ?

We need the cavalry from now on to ensure Pro 14 security and CC place.
Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 4:13pm
There is no date set for his return. He is still suffering concussion symptoms.

I wouldn’t expect him to be back on the field soon.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:13pm
It was a nasty blow. He was out cold too wasn’t he.
Fair few weeks again I’d have thought. His blow was just before halfpennys but the instant result was far more severe when you compare halfpenny walked off but still having symptoms. Wouldnt be surprised if Blade was not back until at least after the 6N.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:28pm
No date set for Blade unfortunately. I'm hoping for the post 6N run in.
He was water boy on Saturday

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 7:00pm
[QUOTE=Wasp]No date set for Blade unfortunately. I'm hoping for the post 6N run in.

[/QUOTTE

I think he was water boy for the Dragons match too. Good to know he's involved with the squad.

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

[QUOTE=Wasp]No date set for Blade unfortunately. I'm hoping for the post 6N run in.

[/QUOTTE

I think he was water boy for the Dragons match too. Good to know he's involved with the squad.

Worth every penny Wink
Scarlets before Wales
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:29am
Makes you realise how dangerous the modern game is.
Also makes you wonder how often in the past players had these kind of symptoms, and without it being recognised/treated, were expected to carrying on playing.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Also makes you wonder how often in the past players had these kind of symptoms, and without it being recognised/treated, were expected to carrying on playing.

I was talking about this last night with a friend, we were wondering how many players took a couple of paracetemol after training thinking it was a normal headache.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:38am

Its a very worrying situation with Blade and Leigh they have both suffered with concussion previously .
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:53am
just look at the number of players who are being forced to retire. look at other sports like the NFL and how they were sued by explayers who were badly diagnosed and treated.
concussion is so dangerous and doesn't show straight away. got sparked out a few times whilst playing and is horrible.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I was talking about this last night with a friend, we were wondering how many players took a couple of paracetemol after training thinking it was a normal headache.
Exactly.
My father said he used to play with someone who had the tendency to get knocked out, as a result it became a running joke he had a “glass jaw” etc. Obviously they had no idea of the effects of multiple concussions etc, so he would finish the game, get drunk, and play the next weekend.
The poor bloke went on to have some serious long term effects.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 12:03pm

Exactly.
My father said he used to play with someone who had the tendency to get knocked out, as a result it became a running joke he had a “glass jaw” etc. Obviously they had no idea of the effects of multiple concussions etc, so he would finish the game, get drunk, and play the next weekend.

I had a nasty concussion one year not so long back, where I had to be taken up to A&E. Long story short the pain was still there a week later & they did a scan to check etc, however when I asked the doctor how long it was until I could play, he said "Youll be ok in a week to play".
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

[/QUOTTE

Worth every penny Wink

Not sure what you’re suggesting there?
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

just look at the number of players who are being forced to retire. look at other sports like the NFL and how they were sued by explayers who were badly diagnosed and treated.
concussion is so dangerous and doesn't show straight away. got sparked out a few times whilst playing and is horrible.

The powers that be are looking at different rules to reduce concussions including tackling at waist or below. Unsure how easy to implement as may need a dramatic change to many aspects of the game but I am for it as I truly believe the pro game has become such a collision sport that it is not fit for humans to play. Things must change. 

One of my boys (still only 8) is built for rugby. Literally expect him to be 6'5" 20st kind of person when he reaches adulthood. As much as I love rugby, the Scarlets and Wales, not sure I want him playing a sport that puts him in harms way. It's ok at youth so trying to encourage him, but fearful he will continue with it into his 20s. It saddens me to think about not wanting him to play a game I enjoyed from age 7 to 29. While I was a back, he would be in the forwards trying to punch holes. Even the amateur sides are big lads in comparison to 30 years ago.

My next favourite sport is boxing. How the hell they get away with it I don't know.
Scarlets before Wales
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

The powers that be are looking at different rules to reduce concussions including tackling at waist or below. Unsure how easy to implement as may need a dramatic change to many aspects of the game but I am for it as I truly believe the pro game has become such a collision sport that it is not fit for humans to play. Things must change. 

One of my boys (still only 8) is built for rugby. Literally expect him to be 6'5" 20st kind of person when he reaches adulthood. As much as I love rugby, the Scarlets and Wales, not sure I want him playing a sport that puts him in harms way. It's ok at youth so trying to encourage him, but fearful he will continue with it into his 20s. It saddens me to think about not wanting him to play a game I enjoyed from age 7 to 29. While I was a back, he would be in the forwards trying to punch holes. Even the amateur sides are big lads in comparison to 30 years ago.

My next favourite sport is boxing. How the hell they get away with it I don't know.

If that goes all the way to grass roots then that'll be me out, been a while since Ive been able to get that low for a tackle LOLLOLLOL
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:53pm

Exactly.

I had a nasty concussion one year not so long back, where I had to be taken up to A&E. Long story short the pain was still there a week later & they did a scan to check etc, however when I asked the doctor how long it was until I could play, he said "Youll be ok in a week to play".

I'm sure this wasn't understood to be potentially serious in the past... a friend of mine, in a school match yonks ago, got tackled head-first against a wooden corner flag... scored one try before, and two after this event. We thought he was OK, until after the game he kept repeating, every couple of minutes, "Did we win? What was the score?". We thought it was pretty funny, at the time... fortunately, he's still in good shape now, in his 70s.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic