Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v France teams & thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 2:28pm
No Jake Ball?
Perhaps he needs more rugby before being selected.
Benetton awaits. 🤗
Keep the faith
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 3:30pm
France are -1 handicap for this game.. find it very surprising we’re not favourites.
We’ve had much better recent results, are far more balanced and tend to find a way to beat France.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 6:31pm
Will we are a return of warren ball? Surely try to stress the channel between Lopez and Ntamack could be a tactical Key of the match. At the same time resist ti french phisical game Will not bè easy..
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 5:04pm
It’s not always about the weight only have to go back to our scrums v racing. Gutted not starting Samson as I think with our front row we could control the scrums.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 5:57pm
glad navidi is back ....talk about an under rated player, hes always quality
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:05am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Yeah industrious plus makes good decisions with ball in hand. 

Now we've jinxed him to have a shocker. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Yeah industrious plus makes good decisions with ball in hand. 

Now we've jinxed him to have a shocker. 

Lets hope the French centres don't brush him off as easily as Scott did over Xmas.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:45am
Gotta keep their pack moving around the park and if they're too slow get those offside penalties. Death by ping pong.

Chip kicks can be effective as well, although they're not used as much as they used to be for some reason.

Edited by dr_martinov - 01 February 2019 at 10:49am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:46am
What can I say? I'm a tactical genius.... at stating the bloody obvious.

Gatland:

"The way we've tended to play against France is keep the ball on the park and not be afraid to kick long and try and find a bit of grass," said Gatland.

"They will kick a lot of ball out to try and slow the game down and play a lot off [Morgan] Parra at nine.

"There is no doubt they will have a big go at our scrum and try to maul us off the park. They were pretty effective in the autumn in that area.

"We've got to be on our mettle, and - from a defensive point of view - it's paramount our line-speed and collisions are good.

"We've been working on that and talking about stopping their forward momentum which they can create from their pack."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47076967

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:04pm
Anscombe is pants
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:59pm
What a win...congratulations
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Anscombe is pants

Agreed, but makes you wonder about the coach's tactics knowing it was pixxing down with rain. Bigger should have been on after 20 minutes!
Keep the faith
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2019 at 10:05pm

Not great a strong scrum and a roll reversal 2nd half,in fairness to North great finishing and Adams on fire .
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 12:32pm
What an odd game. Both teams had a half of failing to hold on to the slippery ball - first Wales, then France.

To summarise the bad and good (in that order):

France won nearly all the contested high balls - North won one, but apart from that I can't recall any more - France won between 6 and 8, I think... even Biggar knocked on, though TBF at least he judged the distance of his kick perfectly and there was a contest.

The line-out was poor - we lost far too many - why throw long (over the top) in that weather? That needs a lot of work.

Some of the defensive alignment was poor as well - especially by Anscombe, who was partly to blame for both France tries... went too wide to be any use in trying to stop Picamoles, and his poor positioning made North think - wrongly - that he'd miss his man. Mainly North's fault - he should have stayed out wide - but you can see why he came in.

Anscombe kicked poorly at goal and out of hand - one turnover was kicked directly to touch, FFS! The decision to kick long at the end of the first half was stupid and gave France another 3 points from the DG - TBF, that decision was down to AWJ.

Now the good - the scrum was on top all night, and even the penalty they got should probably have gone to us for walking the scrum around - indeed, next time it happened, we did get the penalty, so maybe the ref caught himself on! We could have been awarded a couple more scrum penalties.

The team showed a lot of spirit to come back from 16-0, and TBH I didn't think we could win at half time.

Sanjay always looked dangerous, and Foxy was very good in both attack and (more often) defence. 

I thought most of the team did enough to be given another chance, though I personally would change the half backs - not sure if Gats will - we'll see. Let's hope for a tidier performance v Italy.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

What an odd game. Both teams had a half of failing to hold on to the slippery ball - first Wales, then France.

To summarise the bad and good (in that order):

France won nearly all the contested high balls - North won one, but apart from that I can't recall any more - France won between 6 and 8, I think... even Biggar knocked on, though TBF at least he judged the distance of his kick perfectly and there was a contest.

The line-out was poor - we lost far too many - why throw long (over the top) in that weather? That needs a lot of work.

Some of the defensive alignment was poor as well - especially by Anscombe, who was partly to blame for both France tries... went too wide to be any use in trying to stop Picamoles, and his poor positioning made North think - wrongly - that he'd miss his man. Mainly North's fault - he should have stayed out wide - but you can see why he came in.

Anscombe kicked poorly at goal and out of hand - one turnover was kicked directly to touch, FFS! The decision to kick long at the end of the first half was stupid and gave France another 3 points from the DG - TBF, that decision was down to AWJ.

Now the good - the scrum was on top all night, and even the penalty they got should probably have gone to us for walking the scrum around - indeed, next time it happened, we did get the penalty, so maybe the ref caught himself on! We could have been awarded a couple more scrum penalties.

The team showed a lot of spirit to come back from 16-0, and TBH I didn't think we could win at half time.

Sanjay always looked dangerous, and Foxy was very good in both attack and (more often) defence. 

I thought most of the team did enough to be given another chance, though I personally would change the half backs - not sure if Gats will - we'll see. Let's hope for a tidier performance v Italy.

Good summary Aber. Yes it indeed was a strange game. You need a little luck to win the grand slam so omens could be good. I am a firm believer that the best 10 in Wales is Patchell & it is a real shame for the lad that he has had an injury wrecked season in which to push his case. I am not, and never have been, a fan of Anscombe. It would be a massive ask to go with Rhys next week so I see Biggar starting with Rhys on the bench. I would also pick Cawdor at 9 with Aled on the bench. 

Gatland is on record as saying that Thomas Young is going to get his chance in this 6 nations so we may well see Young at 7 with Tips moving to 6 or indeed rested with Wainwright starting & Navidi on the bench. For me I would also start with Scott at 12 if he is fit. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 1:10pm
I’m still not seeing the justification for the adulation Anscombe receives in certain parts of the media. He’s been here 5 years and still not nailed down a Wales spot. Yesterday he asked more questions than provided answers.

I actually want him to go well, if only to stop the perpetual 10 debate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic