Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v France teams & thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

GPR - I agree 9,10 and 12 aren't settled, but the strength is there in the squad and Gatland will hopefully choose better options for England and Ireland. He can also pick Ball to have a better carrying option than Beard. 
I think his biggest challenge is in the back-row, where there is little carrying option in the absence of Faletau and I'm not sure there is a solution within the squad. 
As for England's defensive line being up so quickly and effectively, then this must mean there are spaces behind, which can be exploited, and turning their heavy forwards might tire them out a lot quicker than Ireland managed.

Agreed. We will bring cawdor in at 9 and IF fit scott to 12. That will help the fly half. I just cant see them replacing anscombe at this stage though so hopefully these 2 class players inside and outside him will help anscombe. Patchell is the man but he simply hasnt played for 2 months so hard to see him getting back for England. But fingers crossed. We have to box clever against a jumbo english pack. To keep the saes guessing, our kicking and passing game must be varied , intelligent, instinctive and accurate. box kicking alone isnt a kicking strategy. Biggar doesnt challenge the gainline,anscombe does, but biggar have the ability to spot gaps with kicks and pick out clever chips over defences, lets hope anscombe does too. 

It was Englands day, they are a different team with vunipola and tuilagi, these are probably the 2 most physical players in the world and the irish played into their hands. When theyre missing billy and manu the english back row is a mess and they never know who to play in midfield. The english have huge inexperience in curry and wilson, theyve been tried and dropped before. Wilson had a tidy game but Curry showed indiscipline too. Itoje got away with a ridiculous bit of thuggery too. Our back row is a smaller BUT very smart. Tipuric was brilliant on friday. Navidi dropped the odd pass but as usual he was quality and moriarty was a man reborn.  

Ireland made themselves easy targets for tuilagi and he hammered them. Why run into a brick wall when you can go around and behind? The irish lack a lot of flair imo they have a centre at full back and earls is not an international class wing imo

The English have a big mobile front 5 and they do a fair bit of damage, crucial not to let them build momentum. Their passing game was interesting. They dont earn the ride to go wide, they just go wide, flinging long accurate passes. All designed to stretch defences back and forth. They you have pace and menace in nowell daly may and co changing angles of attack and offering smart chips over the top and their chase is good. Ireland gifted them 1 simple try with stockdales fumble and then sextons interception and their defence panicked for mays try..The other try looked a yard offside but it was smartly executed... Its less comfortable for defences to combat this variety than crash bang wallop. I dont think the english attack is great on the back foot, not is it particularly instinctive. Its pre planned and accurate and they stick to a wider game. They totally exposed a lack of flair and variety in an overly physical Irish side used to dominating teams.

England will be hyped to the heavens we can fly below the radar and start planning their downfall

Edited by roy munster - 03 February 2019 at 3:41pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

GPR - I agree 9,10 and 12 aren't settled, but the strength is there in the squad and Gatland will hopefully choose better options for England and Ireland. He can also pick Ball to have a better carrying option than Beard. 
I think his biggest challenge is in the back-row, where there is little carrying option in the absence of Faletau and I'm not sure there is a solution within the squad. 
As for England's defensive line being up so quickly and effectively, then this must mean there are spaces behind, which can be exploited, and turning their heavy forwards might tire them out a lot quicker than Ireland managed.

Agreed. We will bring cawdor in at 9 and IF fit scott to 12. That will help the fly half. I just cant see them replacing anscombe at this stage though so hopefully these 2 class players inside and outside him will help anscombe. Patchell is the man but he simply hasnt played for 2 months so hard to see him getting back for England. But fingers crossed. We have to box clever against a jumbo english pack. To keep the saes guessing, our kicking and passing game must be varied , intelligent, instinctive and accurate. box kicking alone isnt a kicking strategy. Biggar doesnt challenge the gainline,anscombe does, but biggar have the ability to spot gaps with kicks and pick out clever chips over defences, lets hope anscombe does too. 

It was Englands day, they are a different team with vunipola and tuilagi, these are probably the 2 most physical players in the world and the irish played into their hands. When theyre missing billy and manu the english back row is a mess and they never know who to play in midfield. The english have huge inexperience in curry and wilson, theyve been tried and dropped before. Wilson had a tidy game but Curry showed indiscipline too. Itoje got away with a ridiculous bit of thuggery too. Our back row is a smaller BUT very smart. Tipuric was brilliant on friday. Navidi dropped the odd pass but as usual he was quality and moriarty was a man reborn.  

Ireland made themselves easy targets for tuilagi and he hammered them. Why run into a brick wall when you can go around and behind? The irish lack a lot of flair imo they have a centre at full back and earls is not an international class wing imo

The English have a big mobile front 5 and they do a fair bit of damage, crucial not to let them build momentum. Their passing game was interesting. They dont earn the ride to go wide, they just go wide, flinging long accurate passes. All designed to stretch defences back and forth. They you have pace and menace in nowell daly may and co changing angles of attack and offering smart chips over the top and their chase is good. Ireland gifted them 1 simple try with stockdales fumble and then sextons interception and their defence panicked for mays try..The other try looked a yard offside but it was smartly executed... Its less comfortable for defences to combat this variety than crash bang wallop. I dont think the english attack is great on the back foot, not is it particularly instinctive. Its pre planned and accurate and they stick to a wider game. They totally exposed a lack of flair and variety in an overly physical Irish side used to dominating teams.

England will be hyped to the heavens we can fly below the radar and start planning their downfall

I’d stick with Tomos Williams. He had a very decent game
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 3:49pm
likely team atm...Liam north foxy scott josh anscombe cawdor moriarty tips navidi beard awj frances ken rob ...reps
smith dee samson hill wainwright tom biggar and 1 out of either watkin/amos/hapenny/steff 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 3:50pm

likely team atm...Liam north foxy scott josh anscombe cawdor moriarty tips navidi beard awj frances ken rob ...reps
smith dee samson hill wainwright tom biggar and 1 out of either watkin/amos/hapenny/steff 
Thomas Young is pencilled in for the squad
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Thomas Young is pencilled in for the squad

I should have clarified this was meant to be the team for england. I wouldnt be surprised to see young or turnbull tested in our italy squad  
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 5:13pm
England are miles ahead of the rest in the six nations, and playing with huge confidence ( and some arrogance)
Most of their players are leaders and posess rugby intelligence. All their three-quarters bar Tuilagi are adept at kicking accurately behind the onrushing defence, a skill we are completely lacking. They can play any way that suits the opposition or conditions they are confronted with. I believe they will be unbeaten in the six nations and probably win the world cup.
They have huge player and financial resources and really should be beating everyone providing they keep themselves as well organised as they currently are. The only thing that could derail them would be losing Owen Farrell and George ford at the start of the World Cup.
Love them or loath them you've got to admire the way they demolished Ireland yesterday.
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 4:05am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

England are miles ahead of the rest in the six nations, and playing with huge confidence ( and some arrogance)
Most of their players are leaders and posess rugby intelligence. All their three-quarters bar Tuilagi are adept at kicking accurately behind the onrushing defence, a skill we are completely lacking. They can play any way that suits the opposition or conditions they are confronted with. I believe they will be unbeaten in the six nations and probably win the world cup.
They have huge player and financial resources and really should be beating everyone providing they keep themselves as well organised as they currently are. The only thing that could derail them would be losing Owen Farrell and George ford at the start of the World Cup.
Love them or loath them you've got to admire the way they demolished Ireland yesterday.

I dont entirely agree. Yes that performance was a different level than weve seen for a long time and yes theyve always had a tonne more wealth and resources than the rest but theyve only got 1 world cup and just 1 grand slam since that win 16 years ago....They are ahead atm but not miles ahead and as has been proved in recent times they are very beatable. They are very reliant on vunipola and tuilagi and farrell...any of these 3 are injured and theyre a different team. They got a good hiding in scotland less than a year ago and lost at home to the irish and in paris too..Then lost the series 2-1 to s africa...lost to the all blacks , scraped past boks by a point and werent too great against japan either. basically theyve won 7 lost 7 in the last year. Hardly unbeatable. Weve have won 10 in a row since ireland last year. Were ranked above them too. We have home advantage a very settled strong squad so we must believe we can do it. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 1:01pm
moaning ogara and the anti welsh irish pundits gave wales zero praise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20axk90Gi8

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 1:43pm
On the evidence of the first weekend, England are strong favourites for the 6N this year - they were superb against Ireland. We were pretty poor, though a lot better in the second half.

But... I wouldn't give up hope yet. Watching the 5N/6N over many years has taught me that form is fickle, and one good game doesn't win a championship. England were very good - yes - but helped by Ireland, who never seemed to get out of first gear, and who made a huge error in picking Henshaw at 15... his positioning was all at sea, and Farrell made Ireland pay. Wales will be much better served at 15, so long as Sanjay or 1/2p can play there... and Amos is pretty tidy, too. 

It's clear that for anyone to beat England, they can't afford to be bullied at the collisions, as Ireland were - we (or anyone else) will really have to step it up in that area. If a team can get something near parity there, then they have a chance. I do have to say how impressive Farrell was throughout, though - not least the pass that put May over. Hats off!

Edited by aber-fan - 04 February 2019 at 1:44pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

On the evidence of the first weekend, England are strong favourites for the 6N this year - they were superb against Ireland. We were pretty poor, though a lot better in the second half.

But... I wouldn't give up hope yet. Watching the 5N/6N over many years has taught me that form is fickle, and one good game doesn't win a championship. England were very good - yes - but helped by Ireland, who never seemed to get out of first gear, and who made a huge error in picking Henshaw at 15... his positioning was all at sea, and Farrell made Ireland pay. Wales will be much better served at 15, so long as Sanjay or 1/2p can play there... and Amos is pretty tidy, too. 

It's clear that for anyone to beat England, they can't afford to be bullied at the collisions, as Ireland were - we (or anyone else) will really have to step it up in that area. If a team can get something near parity there, then they have a chance. I do have to say how impressive Farrell was throughout, though - not leas the pass that put May over. Hats off!

amos was superb on the summer tour and may give another dimension in attack
liam is surely number one full back now though not to forget holmes as another back up
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 2:00pm
It will be very interesting to see who Gatland selects at 15 when Leigh is fit. My money is on Halfpenny. Defensively he is a better player than Liam & with Farrell/Youngs intelligent kicking game the positioning of the FB is paramount. For me I would select Halfpenny, Liam & Adams in the back 3 for the England game provided Leigh proves his fitness against Benetton. For a very big guy George seems all at sea in the air - maybe the others are better because they have played a lot at 15. Amos for me would be ideal for the bench as he can cover 11, 13, 14 & 15. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

It will be very interesting to see who Gatland selects at 15 when Leigh is fit. My money is on Halfpenny. Defensively he is a better player than Liam & with Farrell/Youngs intelligent kicking game the positioning of the FB is paramount. For me I would select Halfpenny, Liam & Adams in the back 3 for the England game provided Leigh proves his fitness against Benetton. For a very big guy George seems all at sea in the air - maybe the others are better because they have played a lot at 15. Amos for me would be ideal for the bench as he can cover 11, 13, 14 & 15. 

I quite agree that George is inconsistent in defence, but he did score 2 tries by his own efforts and awareness - and is the only Wales player I can remember actually winning an aerial battle v France! I doubt that he'll be dropped.

(In passing - Parkes's kick for George's first try was described as 'dreadful' by the commentators, BUT in the conditions I think it was pretty canny - even if Huget had held on to the ball, most probably George would have smashed him and Wales would have had a 5m scrum. It was a bit like putting in golf, where distance can be as important as line in leaving an easy second putt... it didn't look as if the ball was going over the line on its own.)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 3:19pm

It's clear that for anyone to beat England, they can't afford to be bullied at the collisions, as Ireland were - we (or anyone else) will really have to step it up in that area. If a team can get something near parity there, then they have a chance. I do have to say how impressive Farrell was throughout, though - not leas the pass that put May over. Hats off!

liam is surely number one full back now though not to forget holmes as another back up
Personally I thought Friday’s game reinforced why Halfpenny is a better full back than Williams. He’s the better all round player IMO. Williams did far more good than bad but taking the wrong decision in the first half when he should have passed to Foxy was criminal. Williams is a brilliant rugby player but at the very highest level he’s a wing for me

Edited by scarletnut - 04 February 2019 at 3:21pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Personally I thought Friday’s game reinforced why Halfpenny is a better full back than Williams. He’s the better all round player IMO. Williams did far more good than bad but taking the wrong decision in the first half when he should have passed to Foxy was criminal. Williams is a brilliant rugby player but at the very highest level he’s a wing for me

There is no doubt at all that 1/2p would have coped far better with Farrell's kicks than did Henshaw, simply because he's got top class positioning and anticipation - plus experience, of course. That part of England's plan won't work so well v Wales, no matter which of the three is at 15.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic