Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Italy v Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 7:22pm
England look big strong and fast. I fear for us in 2 weeks time truth be told.
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:15pm
Not sure that England will want to kick as much to our back 3 as they did today.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:26pm
One of North's great weaknesses is turning round to cover (the kick behind him), I just hope Gatland & Howley develop some sort of system to cover both wings. 

Liam will have to be brave ( no issues there) and not be to clever in trying to run everything out (may be an issue) they will put pressure on him as he is one of our best players. I'll not be surprised if Jones will think of playing mind games with him like Patchell last season.

Adams is good, while North needs to be switched on for the WHOLE game.

I honestly can't see Wales playing as badly as France did, and I think the pack is a better unit than the French, but we will have to be at our very best Plus, to have a chance of winning.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:30pm
Gareth Davies will have to curb his rush defence tactic and revert to a sweeper role.
Keep the faith
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 8:35pm
As I've said previously, I'd like to see how England will cope with a dose of their own medicine with us putting the ball behind their rush defence and see how they cope with turning and coping with an awkwardly bouncing ball when hounded by rapid Welsh chasers. Farrell also needs to be challenged, and put on his backside early on so that he knows that he is not going to get an "armchair ride" to choose his kicking options (which he does brilliantly when not under pressure) My biggest worry is that Anscombe does not have the kicking accuracy to give our chasers the chance to pressurise the England defenders (also assuming North and co chase like they did in the second half against France, not the first)
After that it's just a matter of sorting our lineout !!!!!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 9:09pm
Jiffy was also very critical of the French back three positioning which gave Farrell room to kick. We shall be better than that! However if we only get 60-70% of line outs v England we shall suffer for it. Line out Training for next 2 weeks!
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 5:50am
woodward reckons the irish and french back 3 were all too far up the field and you need to stay deeper...clearly france were wide open to all chips behind them....most of their tries have been counter attacking chip and chase jobs....all finished accurately with great pace and precision. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 5:51am
Oh and nigel made 2 dodgy decisions adding to french woes
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

As I've said previously, I'd like to see how England will cope with a dose of their own medicine with us putting the ball behind their rush defence and see how they cope with turning and coping with an awkwardly bouncing ball when hounded by rapid Welsh chasers. Farrell also needs to be challenged, and put on his backside early on so that he knows that he is not going to get an "armchair ride" to choose his kicking options (which he does brilliantly when not under pressure) My biggest worry is that Anscombe does not have the kicking accuracy to give our chasers the chance to pressurise the England defenders (also assuming North and co chase like they did in the second half against France, not the first)
After that it's just a matter of sorting our lineout !!!!!

Farrell kicked with great precision. Such a competitive player and add to that his defence. Can we emulate him really? 🤔 I doubt it personally.and we don’t have the pace of England on a chase.but we have to try( assuming we have any line out ball!). Yep, I am very worried. Lots of work to do.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:32am
OTE=roy munster] Oh and nigel made 2 dodgy decisions adding to french woes[/QUOTE]
Never a penalty try or yellow card. The ball bounced away from Ashton so there is no way he could have gathered it.
Keep the faith
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

OTE=roy munster] Oh and nigel made 2 dodgy decisions adding to french woes

Never a penalty try or yellow card. The ball bounced away from Ashton so there is no way he could have gathered it.[/QUOTE]

Possibly not but he gave the benefit to the attacking team and Ashton was tackled without the ball a few yards from the line and he is a top finisher. It it were Wales being denied a score methinks we might be agreeing with Nigel's decision! Regardless it was a cricket score win for England. They look the business (sadly)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 10:55am
Fickou's daft tackle of Ashton created the chance for that adjudication.

I for one thought it ballsy call...we need more of the same in the Pro 14.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Fickou's daft tackle of Ashton created the chance for that adjudication.

I for one thought it ballsy call...we need more of the same in the Pro 14.

Agree Wil, but Nigel bottled it twice against the O's. Luke Morgan's knock down was deliberate and was not an attempt to catch the ball. On the ref mic Nigel said that Morgan was in a position to make an interception. That was a ridiculous attempt to justify bottling the decision.

Secondly second half, Nigel clearly told Tipuric that it was a 'last final warning'. Scarlets kicked to the corner, 2-3 phases late Tipuric kicked the ball out of the ruck. NIgel said that Tipuric was off balance and was pushed. Another poor effort to bottle a decision.

I know the O' s were unhappy with the penalty count against them, but rarely do you see a side concede 17 pens in a game and not get a YC.
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 11:46am
No surprises there surely?
Owens' would be loving the adulation of the Twickers faithful.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 1:09pm
Foxy better watch that rush defence.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:17pm
Well what positives can we take from that weekend? I am really struggling to find any. This 6 nations had a great billing but Ireland V England apart the rugby has been dreadful. We have loads of problems but none greater than our total lack of half backs. Neither starting pairs of half backs this season would have got 5/10 - you just don't win rugby games with that poor return from your generals. 

Our rugby has been pretty mindless and not even seasoned guys like Foxy are able to rise above the mediocre. England on the other hand are playing well - very ably led by their excellent half backs delivering a low risk, well thought out gameplan. I really feel for Rhys Patchell because this turn of events could have catapulted him to the starting position for the World Cup. Some things have been decided not by someone grabbing the shirt but by others giving it up.

Francis is the starting 3 & Samson will struggle to get in the 23 due to the skills Dillon Lewis brings. Ryan must be close to getting the 16 shirt. Jake must be close to getting the 4 shirt. Young will not start at 7 while Tips is playing like he is. Cawdor, for all his failings, must start against England. Patchell hopefully is fit to start in Treviso to make his case. Scott is 1st choice 12 and Watkin 2nd. England will target North will May showing far better form in the air and being appreciably quicker - the Welsh team lack in general pace.

Wales won't get near England if our experienced players don't start to perform.This tournament needs to deliver a quality competitive game. Are we up to making a game of it? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic