Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Six Nations 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:33pm
Would have put ball over beard myself. Hope it doesn’t come down to goal kicking.
Sponsored Links

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:45pm
Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Aled Davies (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Northampton), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

England team to face Wales: Daly; Nowell, Slade, Tuilagi, May; Farrell, Youngs; Moon, George, Sinckler, Lawes, Kruis, Wilson, Curry, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Williams, Launchbury, Shields, Robson, Ford, Cokanasiga.
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:03pm
Samson not considered due to injury apparently.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:13pm
Wales team report here on BBC:

The Wales team more or less picked itself, with Tomos Williams injured, Biggar maybe not 100% - and they were never going to start 1/2p after his lay off - any suggestion to the contrary was pure kidology. Rob Evans had to come back after Smith's penalty nightmare... Samson is injured, so Francis and Lewis are the TH props... I suppose the positions which needed most debate would have been 12 (Hadleigh or Watkin, who's been playing well - I guess Hadleigh was retained because he's experienced and is used to playing alongside Foxy and Cawdor.... and second row - Beard is big, but Hill is quicker and more aggressive.

England are a bit weaker with the loss of Vunipola and Itoje. I still make them favourites, but if the boys are really up for it, then we definitely could win this one.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Wales: Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones (C), Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Aled Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Watkin.

Glad to see that Gatland has not been carried away with the Cardiff press over Tomas Williams. Bench is interesting with Smith, Lewis, Beard & Wainwright very capable of making impacts. I would have gone with Watkin at 12. Wonder if we will see Wyn, Ryan & Samson released!!!!!!

Tomos Williams is injured, as is Samson.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:16pm
Hill probably deserves a crack...hes been very consistent and adds a ball carrier...Id have picked wainwright too , with navidi as cover, but navidi wont let anyone down. Shame tomos injured, he'd have made my bench. No mention of hapenny? lot rests on the lineout and fly half.  can anscombe deliver?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 5:46pm
Just read brian moores pre match wales v england take...hes supposedly a solictor/barrister yet ..he still hasnt worked out st pierre is in wales
its the lack of attention to such mundane detail that underlines why they lost for 29 consecutive years in Cardiff. 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:32pm
its been a few years but this is what victory feels like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOu2JhvM90

Tongue
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 6:18am
Wales are very hard to beat these days. Equally they don’t have the carriers to punch holes/attract defenders like a Vunipola or a Tuilagi.

Hard to see a high scoring game, or one free of refereeing challenges.

Key match ups are back rows, Tuilagi/Slade and Parkes/Foxy.

But, unfortunately I think the game will get decided at 10. I say unfortunately as Farrell will prevail.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:37am
We can edge them at scrum and breakdown imo....Lineout needs to function but between ken, awj, tips and the lifters we can surely secure our own ball....They have the edge in collisions due to billy v...His brother missing and itoje missing are big losses though. We have mobility though and hill adds to this too which makes our attack more effective...

In the backs on paper theres nothing in it, we have slightly more tries and a few extra caps overall....They have a proven general and its at fly half where I see their only clear advantage. 
Farell is top class, good variety of kicks and decent passer, though he is a thug who often loses his rag.. Not the quickest though anscombe is much quicker. Anscombe has potential , he deserves his spot atm, we definitely need to try a running 10. though I like patchell and jarod evans for the world cup.

I feel like this constant need to be underdogs is a negative. Were a consistent 3rd / 4th  in the world...Record 11 games winning run, at home in the best stadium in the world. coached by a legend and we are a consistent side too. The performances have been mediocre thus far., its time to kick on now.. In the autumn we were good against the scots, the boks , the aussies and stuffed the tongans. |These were highly competent displays of winning rugby. We were poor in france yet we should have won by 5 tries. That tells me we are a dangerous side. I think gareth davies is massive for us...His non selection in france was a mistake, it was too soon for tomos. England seem to be more than the sum of their parts atm and we are less. We have grand slammers and umpteen lions. we havent lost at home since the all blacks 15 months ago.

Injuries well Id say were missing hapenny scott williams and faletau from the match day squad...Theyre shorn of itoje, vunipola and ashton, theres several other fringe players. This is one of the closest to call in years. I just have the nagging doubt the pre match hype will make is start slow and if we stay in it, our confidence can grow. This annoys me, we need to come out of the traps like whirling dervishes. Victory is way over-due since we knocked them out of the world cup. Theyve often caught us cold early on too. Lets see sanjay fox cawdor north adams getting the ball early....tips everywhere, navidi and moriarty hitting the rucks. Our back row is very well suited to this wider game...

dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:41am
Not many better all round than Farrell at the moment. Seems like a nice guy as well: was happy to meet fans after the game versus Saracens and pose for photos.

Recent Wales England have usually been very close affairs and often to win I think a try from nothing or piece of individual brilliance has been the case for us. Cawdor and Liam certainly offer that threat and I am wondering if this could be a game for Foxy to really show what he can do because the guy's been very quiet both for club and country and the limelight is now completely off him. His Lions performances show the player he is and he can make breaks when put onto the ball at speed; something we know Wales have not done successfully of late but it all it takes is one break...

Or we'll just let them penalise and get yellows and kick for glory. I'm fine with either. 

England are a really good side in good form and playing some nice stuff: we should respect them but not fear them. A lot of build up in the press over the intimidating atmosphere in Cardiff and the players can feed off that without losing their heads.

Come on... 

Edited by dr_martinov - 23 February 2019 at 10:42am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 10:45am
Getting nervous now - will be off in 15min or so.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Not many better all round than Farrell at the moment. Seems like a nice guy as well: was happy to meet fans after the game versus Saracens and pose for photos.

Recent Wales England have usually been very close affairs and often to win I think a try from nothing or piece of individual brilliance has been the case for us. Cawdor and Liam certainly offer that threat and I am wondering if this could be a game for Foxy to really show what he can do because the guy's been very quiet both for club and country and the limelight is now completely off him. His Lions performances show the player he is and he can make breaks when put onto the ball at speed; something we know Wales have not done successfully of late but it all it takes is one break...

Or we'll just let them penalise and get yellows and kick for glory. I'm fine with either. 

England are a really good side in good form and playing some nice stuff: we should respect them but not fear them. A lot of build up in the press over the intimidating atmosphere in Cardiff and the players can feed off that without losing their heads.

Come on... 

Im sure he is a nice guy most of the time and Im glad he takes time for autographs BUT he loses his rag a fair bit and has gotten away with a whole load of thuggery that could have put a lot of players in emergency ward.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovfi-aZQNM
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 6:32pm
Happy for all of you
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 6:34pm
happy?LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2019 at 6:39pm
12 in a row ...never in doubt
player ratings
liam 10
north 8
foxy 7.5
adams 9
anscombe 7
cawdor 7.5
moriarty 8
navidi 8
tips 8.5
awj 9
hill 8.5
frances 7.5
ken 9
rob 7.5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic