Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blade Thompson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:20am
I think Blade is nailed on for the World Cup even considering his lack of game time. A player that can play lock, flanker and 8 is invaluable in a WC squad.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:24pm
Surprised weir isn't in as one of the top points scorers in the premiership this season
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Congratulations to Blade, who has today been named in Scotland.s RWC training squad which (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't include Duncan Weir or Richie Grey. Former Scarlet John Barclay is named in the squad & looks set to go to his third World Cup.

Well, if he's fit for Scotland then that is encouraging - I have a feeling (could be wrong though) that the others mentioned are currently injured, but could yet come into the squad in time for the RWC.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Congratulations to Blade, who has today been named in Scotland.s RWC training squad which (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't include Duncan Weir or Richie Grey. Former Scarlet John Barclay is named in the squad & looks set to go to his third World Cup.

Well, if he's fit for Scotland then that is encouraging - I have a feeling (could be wrong though) that the others mentioned are currently injured, but could yet come into the squad in time for the RWC.

Grey certainly isn't injured though I feel that the coach will know what he can bring to the set up & he will be parachuted in later.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:11pm

Grey certainly isn't injured though I feel that the coach will know what he can bring to the set up & he will be parachuted in later.

I'm not sure what this means, then - maybe that Gray has had a lot of injuries but perhaps is not currently injured? - this is from the BBC:

Richie Gray can still force his way into Scotland's World Cup plans despite missing out on the training squad, says head coach Gregor Townsend.

Townsend named a group of 42 for the summer with two spots yet to be filled.

Another notable absentee along with Gray, who has only made one Test appearance in two years due to injury, is Worcester fly-half Duncan Weir.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48185544

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:02am
blade is an essential part of the scarlets jigsaw....obviously his health comes first. But if healthy and fit he looks a major prospect for our missing link at 8. I wouldnt write off cassiem either he improved as the season wore on...IF we could somehow get these 2 fit and ed kennedy back to his original self...Allied to shingler and cubby and macelod. You have the semblance of a quality back row. Crazy to think most of these have been out for large parts of this injury ravaged season.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:01pm
I wish Blade the very best and congratulate him - however , after the long term absence with his head injury , i'm very concerned that he's going into the World Cup with this still hanging over him . I wonder if the Scarlets may pull him out ? 
I also hope that John Barclay has a great tournament after his shocking year of injury worry , though he seems a shadow of his former self .
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:04pm
Yes, for parts this season I'd been thinking we needed someone like Faletau to get us back to where we were. 

But list our back row options it look great, but for most of the season five of the below were out.

8 Blade
7 Cubby
6 Shingler
X J Macleod
6 Kennedy
7 Dan Davis
8 Cassiem

However, as you say Cassiem is improving (and played while injured!), Blade looks quite crucial if we're trying to compete at our previous level. Still can't replace the turnovers of Beirne and Barclay.

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by stradeyscarlet72 stradeyscarlet72 wrote:

I wish Blade the very best and congratulate him - however , after the long term absence with his head injury , i'm very concerned that he's going into the World Cup with this still hanging over him . I wonder if the Scarlets may pull him out ? 
I also hope that John Barclay has a great tournament after his shocking year of injury worry , though he seems a shadow of his former self .
The Scarlets can’t pull him out.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

blade is an essential part of the scarlets jigsaw....obviously his health comes first. But if healthy and fit he looks a major prospect for our missing link at 8. I wouldnt write off cassiem either he improved as the season wore on...IF we could somehow get these 2 fit and ed kennedy back to his original self...Allied to shingler and cubby and macelod. You have the semblance of a quality back row. Crazy to think most of these have been out for large parts of this injury ravaged season.

Completely agree with your comments here - our back row has been decimated by injuries this season. Cassiem got a lot better as the season wore on, so I'm hoping he'll kick on now. Macleod is an outstanding young player. Shingler is top class, and how we missed him in the lineouts. Most of all, having been turnover kings with Cubby, Beirne and Barclay, we were without all of them for nearly all the season, and the replacements had different skill sets.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Completely agree with your comments here - our back row has been decimated by injuries this season. Cassiem got a lot better as the season wore on, so I'm hoping he'll kick on now. Macleod is an outstanding young player. Shingler is top class, and how we missed him in the lineouts. Most of all, having been turnover kings with Cubby, Beirne and Barclay, we were without all of them for nearly all the season, and the replacements had different skill sets.
Would you start Ball?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:34pm
Surprised Scotland have picked him given his lack of game time. If he does get into the wc squad and the 6 nations squad, we will have had next to no game time from him for 2 seasons

Good player but value for money has to be questioned
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Surprised Scotland have picked him given his lack of game time. If he does get into the wc squad and the 6 nations squad, we will have had next to no game time from him for 2 seasons

He was always going to get picked. A player who can play lock, 6 and 8 at his level is invaluable in a World Cup squad. Means they don't have to take risks at in the front-row and half-back.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He was always going to get picked. A player who can play lock, 6 and 8 at his level is invaluable in a World Cup squad. Means they don't have to take risks at in the front-row and half-back.

he was always going to get picked if fit, has he played in 2019?

his track record with injury is a bit suspect isn;t it?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:54pm

You say he can play lock but I have to question that. He is no bigger than Aaron & I would never dream of selecting Aaron at lock for the Scarlets let alone Wales. He can play across the back row admittedly but so can Barclay.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

You say he can play lock but I have to question that. He is no bigger than Aaron & I would never dream of selecting Aaron at lock for the Scarlets let alone Wales. He can play across the back row admittedly but so can Barclay.
He's played lock at Super Rugby level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic