Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blade Thompson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Thompson
    Posted: 17 February 2019 at 2:46pm
Apologies if this has been covered but what's the latest with him?

Seems to have been out forever.

On a separate note, things aren't really happening for Cassiem at the moment. Real shame.
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Sponsored Links

swissscarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 2:56pm
Press conference this week said that Blade was still unavailable
west is best.
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2019 at 4:06pm
Hell of a long time out, talk about bad luck for the player and the region.
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 2:28am
Last played November 2 I think it was, so in to his 4th month on the sidelines.

I'm no expert but I figure that any of these sorts of issues pre about 2015 were simply either not recorded well or at all, were not treated in the manner of today, or indeed players could fudge what tests there were and return to play early.

Blade talks about that back in 2015 as he was out for 6 weeks when playing for the Hurricanes.

I really feel for both Blade and Halfpenny. The symptoms are irregular, sometimes shallow, sometimes severe, and no 2 cases are the same as a result.

I'm really not sure where the game is going around this issue...right now it's all about cure, not much on prevention.

Concussion is not about rehab, or even rest. There's no plan or recipe to get back playing.
Medical staff are taking no chances (rightly) these days...a returning player says he has a headache or sore eyes or some nausea then his return to play protocols are dialed back to zero.

All very worrying.
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 8:55am
What's the latest on Steve Cummins. Our second row resources are extremely shallow.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 9:44am
They've been shallow for most of the season yet we've been either unable or unwilling to bring in a hard nosed second row on a three month contract. I doubt any of our Irish or Scottish rivals in the Pro 14 would have tolerated such a weak set of second rows if they were similarly afflicted with injuries.
Keep the faith
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I'm no expert but I figure that any of these sorts of issues pre about 2015 were simply either not recorded well or at all, were not treated in the manner of today, or indeed players could fudge what tests there were and return to play early.

Blade talks about that back in 2015 as he was out for 6 weeks when playing for the Hurricanes.

I really feel for both Blade and Halfpenny. The symptoms are irregular, sometimes shallow, sometimes severe, and no 2 cases are the same as a result.

I'm really not sure where the game is going around this issue...right now it's all about cure, not much on prevention.

Concussion is not about rehab, or even rest. There's no plan or recipe to get back playing.
Medical staff are taking no chances (rightly) these days...a returning player says he has a headache or sore eyes or some nausea then his return to play protocols are dialed back to zero.

All very worrying.

He missed several games last season with the `Canes as well due to concussion so I was told at the time when I asked why he wasn't playing.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 10:14am
do we research medical history when we make these signings?
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

All very worrying.

As Racing bring back Dan Carter, and Finn Russell seems to potentially have a concussion, Pat Lambie's accounts of his retirement at just 28 and an interesting video in general from a Saffa perspective:

Edited by dr_martinov - 18 February 2019 at 3:49pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:23am
I've read this morning on another forum that Blade may be in contention to return this weekend.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I've read this morning on another forum that Blade may be in contention to return this weekend.

That would be pretty freaking amazing!!
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Mixed emotions on this, nothing to do with rugby. Is he better off just missing between 1 and 4 games and starting again next season?
Scarlets before Wales
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:50pm
I tend to agree with you on this scarletbear. think it more prudent for him to have a proper rest. I felt the same about leigh halfpenny mind.  these head injuries need to be treated with extreme diligence. I am sure our medical staff have done this, but still think a proper rest and a summer off would only help further
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Mixed emotions on this, nothing to do with rugby. Is he better off just missing between 1 and 4 games and starting again next season?

That’s what I thought. Same if Shingler comes back. They haven’t played a game for months.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

I tend to agree with you on this scarletbear. think it more prudent for him to have a proper rest. I felt the same about leigh halfpenny mind.  these head injuries need to be treated with extreme diligence. I am sure our medical staff have done this, but still think a proper rest and a summer off would only help further

I would hazard a guess & say that Blade is itching to get into a Scarlets jersey this season, given that its a RWC year & he was in the Scottish Autumn squad before the injury. He may be hoping for 2 or 3 outings to see if he can squeeze himself into the training squad for the Scottish warm ups.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 2:07pm
i don't think there's much need to rush blade and shingle back for last game of the season.

give them the summer off now in readiness for pre season. my opinion anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic