Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blade Thompson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

i don't think there's much need to rush blade and shingle back for last game of the season.

give them the summer off now in readiness for pre season. my opinion anyway.
Apart from the fact they'd give the Scarlets a better chance of qualifying for the Champions Cup...
yes there is that, but we've not had them all season, throwing them in now and risking injury could be disaster for next season should there be an aggravation. Players returning from serious injury much more prone to injury. Is it worth playing them for one or two games when they can come back completely fresh for pre season.

Questions that would be asked no doubt is couuld they be better than current options? They are nowhere near match hardened and have not picked up any sort of form.
Foxy up in Leicester for example was targeted... His first game back and tuilagi had a field day against him from what I remember. Could do us more harm than good. We potentially have 80mins left of the season... Is a player who's had no part in the season better than macloed for example who's played all season. Is a player who's been out with a head injury since November a better choice than cassiem who I feel is getting better.

If their in great, but I'm not sold on it. If there's an aggrevation and their out long term again.... Is it worth it. If coaches think it is then fair enough.

Edited by PE SA - 25 April 2019 at 9:45am
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:05pm
Wales initial 48 man RWC squad out on Tuesday.
knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Rugby journalist, Paul Williams, tweeted yesterday that both Shingler and Blade are fit for Saturday and suggested both will be involved. Mixed feelings really. Want them firing on all cylinders next season, however we really need to qualify for the Heineken cup.
My back row would be Shingler, Cassiem and Mcleoud and play Blade in the row with Cummins. Boyd and Rawlings in the bench.
He tweeted that it would be good to see them both back in a Scarlets jersey, but no mention of this Saturday !
It suggests he is talking about next season when they are both fully fit and firing.
Page the oracle
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:42pm
I trust the medics!
They've both been our for a long time and I don't think there can be any accusations of "rushing"!

We have to put on a great performance at JD. Regardless of the rest of season this will be the first time many of the casual fans in Wales will see us this season!

And if we end up in a playoff for RCC qualification, that game could be worth a huge amount in future funding from WRU and our sponsors.

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by knutsfordlion knutsfordlion wrote:

Rugby journalist, Paul Williams, tweeted yesterday that both Shingler and Blade are fit for Saturday and suggested both will be involved. Mixed feelings really. Want them firing on all cylinders next season, however we really need to qualify for the Heineken cup.
My back row would be Shingler, Cassiem and Mcleoud and play Blade in the row with Cummins. Boyd and Rawlings in the bench.

He tweeted that it would be good to see them both back in a Scarlets jersey, but no mention of this Saturday !
It suggests he is talking about next season when they are both fully fit and firing.

He was asked a direct question, after his post by a Scarlets fan, if both are playing Saturday. He replied yes. I personally don't know though, just commenting to what Paul Williams released on Twitter.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Didn't think cubby was fit
Cubby is picking up more injuries and I wonder if it’s just bad luck or if , due to the wear and tear of modern rugby they will start to come more frequently now. It’s a tough contact game these days.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Cubby is picking up more injuries and I wonder if it’s just bad luck or if , due to the wear and tear of modern rugby they will start to come more frequently now. It’s a tough contact game these days.

Genuine question here.

Why is it that Werner and Hadleigh rarely seem to get injured ?

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Genuine question here.

Why is it that Werner and Hadleigh rarely seem to get injured ?

Don't jinx them!

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
whataguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whataguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 9:51pm
Good genes
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:11pm

no he’s talking about this weekend
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 12:44pm

A friend of mine heard that they were hoping to give these players game time for the RFC this weekend with a view to playing them in the play off if we make it.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

A friend of mine heard that they were hoping to give these players game time for the RFC this weekend with a view to playing them in the play off if we make it.

I don't think the RFC have a game this weekend.
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

I don't think the RFC have a game this weekend.

Maybe next weekend against Neath.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 1:12pm
Bringing back players after a long lay-off is risky, as they won't be match fit... it just might be worth playing Shingler for a half (if fit) to improve the line-out, but are we expecting to struggle in that area v Dragons? If not - then not worth it.

The experience with concussion has varied this year - Halfpenny came back looking as good as ever, but Patch struggled at first, though he's looking better now... maybe he came back a week or two early? 

Overall,then, I would not want to put players in v Dragons after months out... we should be able to win that with our 100% fit players. 

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I trust the medics!
They've both been our for a long time and I don't think there can be any accusations of "rushing"!

We have to put on a great performance at JD. Regardless of the rest of season this will be the first time many of the casual fans in Wales will see us this season!

And if we end up in a playoff for RCC qualification, that game could be worth a huge amount in future funding from WRU and our sponsors.

Me too!

In a few weeks chances are we will play either Ospreys or Blues for a place in next years champions cup. If we want our best team play in that game Blade and Shings need some game time. We are not ones to rush players back in, if they are declared fit i'm very confident that they will of been through a rigorous return to play regime which would of included full contact match scenarios. They both easily get in to our first XV, and for them to be firing for that play off they should have as much game time between now and then as possible.

There is so much class in those two it would not surprise me if you saw a MoM display from one of them against the Drags! They will be bouncing to get on that grass!

Edited by diego6754 - 25 April 2019 at 3:42pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:06am
Congratulations to Blade, who has today been named in Scotland.s RWC training squad which (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't include Duncan Weir or Richie Grey. Former Scarlet John Barclay is named in the squad & looks set to go to his third World Cup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic