Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets-Ospreys Plan - Some facts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 12:35pm
Still cant believe this nearly happened....Losing an Ospreys Christmas derby and a judgement day split would have lost us an estimated half a million for starters...Letting them rent the parc for a few years , now thats a different matter. If it suits both parties carry on Ospreys.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Still cant believe this nearly happened....Losing an Ospreys Christmas derby and a judgement day split would have lost us an estimated half a million for starters...Letting them rent the parc for a few years , now thats a different matter. If it suits both parties carry on Ospreys.

but we would have effectively made an extra £2.9m in funding
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Ahh keep your £2.9million. I'll take judgement day!
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 12:54pm
Why would we have lost judgement day? It still would have continued just with north entity included?
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 1:03pm

nope that would have gone to north wales
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Why would we have lost judgement day? It still would have continued just with north entity included?

The £2.9 million would have gone to north wales region
A judgement day with no ospreys would have a significantly lower crowd

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 1:06pm

nope that would have gone to north wales

No, apparently that was the proposal if we merged an extra £2.9million, presumably the other £4.5million ish from the Ospreys funding pot would of gone to North Wales.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

The £2.9 million would have gone to north wales region
No it wouldn't have...
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 3:44pm
With the proposed merger/takeover seemingly over, it would be reassuring to hear from the Scarlets about a contingency financial plan of our own regarding recruitment. With us now (at the moment at least) standing on our own, hopefully some Scarlet signings will filter through. It would also be interesting to hear what our new coach makes of all of this? Doubt we’ll hear anything on this front though
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
welshbenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welshbenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

With the proposed merger/takeover seemingly over, it would be reassuring to hear from the Scarlets about a contingency financial plan of our own regarding recruitment. With us now (at the moment at least) standing on our own, hopefully some Scarlet signings will filter through. It would also be interesting to hear what our new coach makes of all of this? Doubt we’ll hear anything on this front though

I suspect the topic is far from over.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 4:25pm
It's over for now but, as a very wise man keeps telling me, you can't hide from the numbers indefinitely.

Chickens will come home to roost in Swansea (Cardiff, too) sooner or later, in Swansea sooner, I'll wager. They're due to post their finances to Companies House by 31/3 - let's see if they do that, or delay and take another fine. Tick, tock...

Our recruitment is pretty much done - might be a few swings & roundabouts, but I believe there'll be more good news than any other kind after 6Ns. #Tnewsdays will soon be here again! Cool
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

It's over for now but, as a very wise man keeps telling me, you can't hide from the numbers indefinitely.

Chickens will come home to roost in Swansea (Cardiff, too) sooner or later, in Swansea sooner, I'll wager. They're due to post their finances to Companies House by 31/3 - let's see if they do that, or delay and take another fine. Tick, tock...

Our recruitment is pretty much done - might be a few swings & roundabouts, but I believe there'll be more good news than any other kind after 6Ns. #Tnewsdays will soon be here again! Cool

Nobby, throughout this you have been a glowing light of information and positivity. A cool head when others are losing theirs!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 4:46pm

Great news on retention and recruitment.

I don’t find any sanctuary in the finances commentary. We are dependent on benefactors.

Over the last 4 years ( to fiscal year end 2017) we have posted losses of just under £5.0m, in the same period the Ospreys have posted losses of £0.25m.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 4:56pm
Did they ever consider splitting the Ospreys catchment area, with the western half coming to us and the eastern half joining the Blues? Away in college in London we Welsh tended to stick together and many of the fellow students that I knew came from the Welsh speaking parts of the Swansea and upper Neath valleys - places like GCG, Abercraf, Onllwyn Cwmllynfell, Cwmtwrch, TairGwaith, Pontardawe, Ystradgynlais, Ystalyfera, Crynant ,and at that time, with no artificial regions to distract, I think you could safely say that more supported Llanelli than Swansea or Neath or Aberafan. It may be different now but Llanelli seemed more of a natural home than the others. And I don't think it would take very long for those who have "lapsed "to come home.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Great news on retention and recruitment.

I don’t find any sanctuary in the finances commentary. We are dependent on benefactors.

Over the last 4 years ( to fiscal year end 2017) we have posted losses of just under £5.0m, in the same period the Ospreys have posted losses of £0.25m.

Quite.
although to be fair the historic losses for all 3 sides are only a reflection of the amount benefactors were ready to commit to. By and large the losses are budgeted for.
 You could draw any number of conclusions from those figures.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2019 at 5:18pm
Just to add a little clarity for comparison purposes,

Blues losses £5.5 million
Dragons losses £3.45 million
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
  Share Topic