Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:39pm
I'm 90% happy with that statement from a Scarlets PoV... the 'terms our supporters would be happy with' are not spelled out, so there's an element of doubt there.

I have no idea what 'heads of terms' are - some legal formula, presumably? Maybe someone can explain that one...

This is the clearest statement of where things stand ATM:

"...we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

The merger is off the table."

That's the O's choice, for whatever reason.

I want them - and our derby rivalries - to survive, and would MUCH prefer to see the WRU-owned Dragons shipped off to N Wales. If the Os and the WRU play silly bugg**s and that leads to the demise of the Os, it would be much regretted, but their choice.

In the meantime, this comes at a very tricky time, with Wales in line for a Grand Slam - terrible timing!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:45pm
Well, it's been an interesting few days. Glad that the 'merger' is a dead duck. Hope this settles things down as far as our players are concerned. I think the Ospreys will have some serious internal issues to sort out and the WRU will have some awkward questions to answer regarding their role in all this - especially in regard to RGC and Newport.
What's going on?
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:55pm
SOSpreys.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:01pm
Seems like the Ospreys are responsible for a lot of nonsense recently.
I’d still be open to a pure takeover, tbh. We’d be a Champions Cup challenging team.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:03pm
Look forward to watching Rugby Gogledd Georgia on Priemer Sport in the Autumn instead of the Sprays then- so long as they don't play in English colours.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I have no idea what 'heads of terms' are - some legal formula, presumably? Maybe someone can explain that one...

Basically a non binding set of guidelines that surround the sale/takeover or merger of entities.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Basically a non binding set of guidelines that surround the sale/takeover or merger of entities.

Thank you - so, nothing to prevent the Os changing their minds, then. (As I said before, I'd prefer to send the Drags up to Gog-land than the Ospreys!)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

Where did it say that?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:19pm
Our statement, along with the PRB's, leaves the Ospreys with a lot of explaining to do.

This time, without coming across as bitter.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

So they would have played in red at pys with a scarletty name. Can't fault our board there.

Where did it say that?
What else would “Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with” mean?

Nigel Short completely understands how important our heritage and branding are to people.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I still can't believe that given the battle we had to stand alone that we were prepared to merge now irrespective of  what the terms were,some people have very short memories.
This was never a merger by any stretch, despite the word being banded about

It was a takeover make no mistake. A merger even somewhere around 70:30 Ospreys would of bitten our hands off.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:22pm

Thank you - so, nothing to prevent the Os changing their minds, then. (As I said before, I'd prefer to send the Drags up to Gog-land than the Ospreys!)

Exactly right my friend.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:23pm
Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:26pm

Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Where did it say that?
What else would “Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with” mean?

Nigel Short completely understands how important our heritage and branding are to people.

Ive no idea , its very vague...why dont the scarlets simply state where wed have played ALL our games , colours names etc Do you really think ospreys would have allowed all games to be played in Llanelli? Their fans would have disappeared
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:28pm

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.

I disagree. basic info about where wed play what wed be called colours etc is absolutely critical. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic