Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.

I disagree. basic info about where wed play what wed be called colours etc is absolutely critical. 

The heads of terms would have, in all probability, had these details however seeing as the move was called off by the Ospreys they won't be released to the public unless it is leaked or someone says "this was the plan"....

As the merger/takeover isn't happening then there is no need for the fans etc to know about it.

Lets hope the fans find out as that information is critical. especially if this nightmare scenario ever rears its head again

Its not critical is it? It is not happening. If we had agreed to give away games to Swansea, and it has already been released that one of the Ospreys major issues is the rental of the Liberty making this very unlikely and that we had agreed to dilute/half the brand Ospreys would of bitten our hand off. Please realise that as an entity they are in serious serious trouble. We held all the leverage here and it would of been used.

you make us sound like jr ewing

Good analogy with oil being whisky and water!!

Yeah and JR made a load of enemies and lost a load of money
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 4:04pm

Its very thin on detail , names, where wed play ALL games, colours, names etc heads of terms is some kind of legal term for a proposed agreement.. Im staggered they not only considered it but how quickly it seemed to get agreed and how they actually thought fans of the regions would have been happy with it? not to forget losing our rivalry, local derby matches and perhaps half our home games?

There's no need to release the whole detail as it won't serve anyone well. For example they (Ospreys) won't want their fans knowing the ins & outs of what they were willing to give up as they still need their support for whatever is coming.

I have faith that our board will have had our best interests are the forefront of any negotiations.

I disagree. basic info about where wed play what wed be called colours etc is absolutely critical. 

The heads of terms would have, in all probability, had these details however seeing as the move was called off by the Ospreys they won't be released to the public unless it is leaked or someone says "this was the plan"....

As the merger/takeover isn't happening then there is no need for the fans etc to know about it.

Lets hope the fans find out as that information is critical. especially if this nightmare scenario ever rears its head again

Its not critical is it? It is not happening. If we had agreed to give away games to Swansea, and it has already been released that one of the Ospreys major issues is the rental of the Liberty making this very unlikely and that we had agreed to dilute/half the brand Ospreys would of bitten our hand off. Please realise that as an entity they are in serious serious trouble. We held all the leverage here and it would of been used.

you make us sound like jr ewing

Good analogy with oil being whisky and water!!

Yeah and JR made a load of enemies and lost a load of money

LOLLOLLOL very good!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 4:46pm
So all this circus has achieved for us is to prevent us from signing players to strengthen our squad, at a time when our rivals outside Wales and in Cardiff are busy snapping up some of players we would be keen to sign Josh Adams, to name but one. Diolch WRU!!!
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:04pm
Blues may have jumped the gun a bit, thinking they were in line for extra funding as a result of the merger
Rubrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:13pm
It does strike me as being a problem for the Scarlets still.
Why?
Well, as a 'region' we were held to be responsible for west and north Wales.
Looks like we have not been too successful at representing the north according to the WRU.

What happens next?
Do the O's or Dragons get shipped up north as a franchised team?
I cannot see Blues moving.

Still lots to consider if, and it's a big if, the O's continue as a viable financial entity and WRU keep heading along the road to a new region. 

If the WRU plans for a north Wales region fail, will Scarlets be required  by the WRU, to make more of a commitment to 'home' games played at Parc Eirias?

But my guess is that the next one in the cross-hairs for a change has to be the Dragons...
... to be continued?

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
drags212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drags212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:20pm
As far as I know, the dragons are fine and aren't going anywhere. Having spoken to our chairman and him coming out publicly ststinh we should be getting more private investment for next season. Link here https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/17479798.dragons-chasing-private-investment-for-reset-growth/ although as a dragons fan I just admit we have been lucky to not having been dragged into this mess, as of yet. I fear this isn't over for any of us yet though.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

It does strike me as being a problem for the Scarlets still.
Why?
Well, as a 'region' we were held to be responsible for west and north Wales.
Looks like we have not been too successful at representing the north according to the WRU.

What happens next?
Do the O's or Dragons get shipped up north as a franchised team?
I cannot see Blues moving.

Still lots to consider if, and it's a big if, the O's continue as a viable financial entity and WRU keep heading along the road to a new region. 

If the WRU plans for a north Wales region fail, will Scarlets be
required  by the WRU, to make more of a commitment to 'home' games played
at Parc Eirias?

But my guess is that the next one in the cross-hairs for a change has to be the Dragons...
... to be continued?

Scarlets have not been responsible for North Wales since 2010.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by trident trident wrote:

Blues may have jumped the gun a bit, thinking they were in line for extra funding as a result of the merger
my thoughts exactly.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Seems like the Ospreys are responsible for a lot of nonsense recently.
I’d still be open to a pure takeover, tbh. We’d be a Champions Cup challenging team.

You are making one hell of an assumption there - genuinely how many quality Ospreys players could you see wanting to play for us? AWJ - no chance; Tips no chance; George & Scott possibly; Beard maybe. If we signed 2/3 that would still not make us a top European team. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by trident trident wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

Or have they been assured by WRU they ok could explain why they only team to announce resignings so far
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I’d still be open to a pure takeover, tbh. We’d be a Champions Cup challenging team.

You are making one hell of an assumption there - genuinely how many quality Ospreys players could you see wanting to play for us? AWJ - no chance; Tips no chance; George & Scott possibly; Beard maybe. If we signed 2/3 that would still not make us a top European team. 

GPR I think you are right. To be honest I'd only want AWJ and Scott, and they would probably be away with Wales when we need them most. Not only that but the disruption involved in absorbing significant numbers of unneeded players into the Scarlets squad would probably decrease our potency for a season or two, by which time AWJ would probably have retired. 

The main downside of the failed "merger" is that we will potentially not gain supporters from the western valleys and the rich  seam of youth and academy players from that area.

Now let's get on with improving our prospects by signing a couple of ball carrying forwards, a wing and a squad 10.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

GPR I think you are right. To be honest I'd only want AWJ and Scott, and they would probably be away with Wales when we need them most. Not only that but the disruption involved in absorbing significant numbers of unneeded players into the Scarlets squad would probably decrease our potency for a season or two, by which time AWJ would probably have retired. 

The main downside of the failed "merger" is that we will potentially not gain supporters from the western valleys and the rich  seam of youth and academy players from that area.

Now let's get on with improving our prospects by signing a couple of ball carrying forwards, a wing and a squad 10.

Yes Ffidel our requirements to improve our squad remain the same. AWJ & Scott are no brainers they would improve every team in the pro 14. As for this latest mess it could have all been avoided if normal confidentiality had been respected. It seems to me, with no insider info, that between 01/03/2019 - 05/03/2019 the Ospreys management collectively decided that the deal was not for them. This must also, I guess, have come with some financial reassurances from Rob Davies etc for the future. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 10:09am
This whole very delicate commercial business  proposal leaked like a sieve throughout and only the spirit of confidentiality agreements kept so it seemed as it all played out in the press. Not so bad if it led to a positive conclusion but when it falls apart acrimoniously in public it is really unprofessional stuff-wonder who did the leaking? Anyway, it didn't help Welsh rugby . It seems a Welsh thing-we love to gossip ! Hopefully if anything takes place in the future lessons have been learned but I do wonder...
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 1:05pm
It has been a complete and utter shambles, embarrassment and unprofessional. We (Welsh rugby) are a laughing stock once again, the Irish press are having a Field day with it all.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

It has been a complete and utter shambles, embarrassment and unprofessional. We (Welsh rugby) are a laughing stock once again, the Irish press are having a Field day with it all.

I have to agree - laughing stock it sure is. If the lads manage to win the Grand Slam it will be a monumental achievement. WRU/PRB - nobody comes out of this well. Negotiations have to be confidential and somewhere in all this there is/are a person/group of people who have prematurely got the press involved. If the WRU/PRB know the identity then they should name and shame. Then the real rugby supporters among us will understand where our sympathies lie/do not. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic