Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Defence Coach?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:30pm
AND importantly it would seem these are all people well known to Brad so he gets to pick his key coaching group Ioan has been good enough for Wayne in the last 5 years and is experienced now and still learning. Looks good to me 👍
Sponsored Links

daveoda View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:16pm
One possible advantage is that Glenn Delaney and Richard Whiffin were at London Irish together,the former as Head of Rugby Operations and the latter as Backs coach as part of Tom Coventry's coaching team.

Edited by daveoda - 05 May 2019 at 8:35pm
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:48pm
Let's be honest here, for a region with our budget to recruit 3 coaches in one go and with such backrounds and credentials is phenominal. It wasnt so long ago that if a coach retired or left we'd appoint ex players from within, whether they were good enough or not.

The early announcement might have had an effect on this year's performance, who knows? It could have just been the lack of depth to cope with a larger than average amont of injuries and the disruption that caused to starting line ups. But the forward planning in replacing virtually the whole coaching team for next season has been second to none. Well done to all involved.Clap
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Fair comment - it was important to have these coaches in position and named as early as possible - no doubt they'll want to set their stall out in the pre-season, though of course the players selected for the RWC won't be involved at that stage. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:47pm
Delaney's recruitment is interesting as he only went to Dunedin for the Highlanders job in late 2017 when Scott McLoed (the 'Landers pervious defence coach) got the All Blacks defence job … not a bad reference.
He led the Canterbury Mitre 10 side as head coach to win the comp in 2017. I assume this is where Brad met him coaching the feeder side to the Crusaders. 
As someone who has seen his sides play (not on tv),  the Highlanders pack is always one of the best in NZ and Super rugby ..an area we need more coaching expertise in … looks a great pick to me 
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Fair comment - it was important to have these coaches in position and named as early as possible - no doubt they'll want to set their stall out in the pre-season, though of course the players selected for the RWC won't be involved at that stage. 

Yeah World Cup year is not the best time for them to join, but they will have extra time to work with the core squad due to the delayed start.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:56pm
I guess this tnewsday is that cochyn has signed a 2 year extension.Cry
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Dont be silly, the club never discloses contract lengths. 😂😂😂
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:28pm

Disappointed if true. After the season we've endured we need fresh faces - not more of the same.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Tim Opolis Tim Opolis wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Yeah World Cup year is not the best time for them to join, but they will have extra time to work with the core squad due to the delayed start.
I think it might be good timing to change coaching setup, precisely due to the longer pre-season for the bulk of the squad. These guys need to bond and build relationships and understanding.

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:11pm
Brad Mooar and Mark Delaney worked together in the past.
Whiffin and Delaney also worked together.

I assume delaney will be overlooking forwards in supporting cunningham.

Mooar to do the same in attack imo. Whiffin a huge influence in bringing through young guns. This will no doubt have been a factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Richard Kelly is brought in as well... And maybe Emyr Phillips.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:33am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Mooar to do the same in attack imo. Whiffin a huge influence in bringing through young guns. This will no doubt have been a factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Richard Kelly is brought in as well... And maybe Emyr Phillips.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:35am

wouldn't those wages be better used towards a number 8 ?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:47am

We’ve already got three under contract.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We’ve already got three under contract.

I assume you mean Casseim, Blade & Josh. Casseim doesn't fit the bill for me, Blade is a 6 in the Shingler mould and Josh is a natural 7 at the moment with every chance of growing into the 8 role. If I was selecting the best back row available to us at the moment it would be 6. Aaron 7 Cubby 8. Blade with Josh on the bench able to cover all 3. With that combination available most of this season we would have qualified for the play offs in my mind if only on the back of an improved lineout. 

However Blade only works as an 8 if you have plenty of carrying options ahead of him in the front 5. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:34am
Given the news that Casseim was playing with a fairly significant injury for part of this season I am reserving judgment on him for another season & am hoping that with a good pre-season he will show what he is really capable of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic