FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Edinburgh match thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets v Edinburgh match thread.
    Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:12pm
We are in the competition so should take it seriously like the Blues did. It's all about momentum in rugby. A good run in the Challenge cup Will help our league campaign. I must say I dislike the two conference thing. Very confusing.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 8:57pm
No guarantees that Leicester will even make the challenge cup next season, lose to Newcastle on the weekend and they will be right in the middle of a relegation battle. Just goes to show the strength of each respective league and the merit of each team that competes in them. So playing in the challenge cup (whilst a bitter pill to swallow) will still be a tough ask.
Hopefully we can miraculously get into 4th and get into the champions cup via a playoff match
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:55pm
It tells you pretty much what I originally posted. French and English teams generally put out 2nd string teams...Welsh do too for the most part.
Some international players coming back from injury or needing a game get selected, and if there’s a key play off decider then more will play.

The league tables don’t lie...teams like Stade Francais, Bordeaux, Pau, Agen Perpignan not only didn’t qualify, but were bottom of their groups.

Haven’t seen any compelling info that says anything else. The event doesn’t attract first team selection.

Edited by Wil Chips - 09 April 2019 at 8:14pm
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Challenge cup could seems a disonour for our blasone, but at the moment this we are, a second tier team. I don't think to be too negative but when we failed all the occasion to show up we are alive, it s the case to stop down and analize with the board what went wronh and don't repeat the same errors in the future.
I don't we have the economic power to change all the team and sign new players and honestly I don't want this.
I thank to all myself Pivac and all the staff for what made with the team and for all joy during last years, but I want to start with the new project, watch all the young players come from academy and feeder clubs and build something solid for the future.
Only for next year I prefer dominate in challenge for reaching more confidence for youngsters, cause of our best players will be away, then an anonymous champions cup

Totally agree with you here. If indeed other teams put second string teams out as some have mentioned we simply play our strongest teams in each game. Surely the benefit is money from progressing and potentially winning it. Toulon and Leicester are in it next season probably so it isn’t full of duff sides.
Both those sides won’t be interested. If you get to the last four and final then it’s ok but on the whole it’s an awful competition.

Just had a quick look at the matchday squads in the games and I don’t know where the notion only fringe players start comes from. A lot are practically full strength starting line ups.

Share a few examples (ensuring they are from the group stages obviously)...

I don’t need to share them. All you have to do is go on the site yourself. If no one are going to watch the games, including yourself, no problem. I just find the fact that people think there’s no incentive to win, which will bring financial reward, a bit surprising. Anyway, I look forward to you taking a look then coming back to try to belittle me.

I’ve asked you to share some group stage team sheets as I genuinely haven’t seen a club put it’s first team out.

Give me the site you refer to if you prefer. More than happy to stand corrected.

Tribe app is good for this you can go back and see lineups from each round. Whilst none of them are full strength some games from the first rounds are pretty stacked with decent players.

Mostly English and French teams

Thanks Owen - useful. Can the other two stop bickering please? 😊
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:29pm

Challenge cup could seems a disonour for our blasone, but at the moment this we are, a second tier team. I don't think to be too negative but when we failed all the occasion to show up we are alive, it s the case to stop down and analize with the board what went wronh and don't repeat the same errors in the future.
I don't we have the economic power to change all the team and sign new players and honestly I don't want this.
I thank to all myself Pivac and all the staff for what made with the team and for all joy during last years, but I want to start with the new project, watch all the young players come from academy and feeder clubs and build something solid for the future.
Only for next year I prefer dominate in challenge for reaching more confidence for youngsters, cause of our best players will be away, then an anonymous champions cup

Totally agree with you here. If indeed other teams put second string teams out as some have mentioned we simply play our strongest teams in each game. Surely the benefit is money from progressing and potentially winning it. Toulon and Leicester are in it next season probably so it isn’t full of duff sides.
Both those sides won’t be interested. If you get to the last four and final then it’s ok but on the whole it’s an awful competition.

Just had a quick look at the matchday squads in the games and I don’t know where the notion only fringe players start comes from. A lot are practically full strength starting line ups.

I don’t need to share them. All you have to do is go on the site yourself. If no one are going to watch the games, including yourself, no problem. I just find the fact that people think there’s no incentive to win, which will bring financial reward, a bit surprising. Anyway, I look forward to you taking a look then coming back to try to belittle me.

I’ve asked you to share some group stage team sheets as I genuinely haven’t seen a club put it’s first team out.

Give me the site you refer to if you prefer. More than happy to stand corrected.

Tribe app is good for this you can go back and see lineups from each round. Whilst none of them are full strength some games from the first rounds are pretty stacked with decent players.

Mostly English and French teams
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

We absolutely should not risk any key players in the Challenge Cup. We should use it solely for development/ playing players back to fitness. 

Anyone who thinks we should be sending the likes of Ken, Foxy, Lousi or McNicholl to Georgia or wherever is plain crazy. Send an "A" team to the away games. Sprinkle a few second teasers in our home games and if we somehow are in a position to qualify, put a strong team out for round 6.

Otherwise we have to plan the season around getting a home playoff in the P14.

We’d play them in the champions cup what’s the difference? Do people realise you get prize money for winning it? As for teams resting players I’ve seen, Saints - Hartley, Biggar, Haskell. Ospreys - North, Beard, Tipuric, A. Davies. Clermont - Laidlaw, Parra, Timani. So crack on and send development teams. We’ll have the embarrassment of being duds in the challenge cup too.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:16pm
Thankfully it's not up to us. That's what the coaching team will have to decide. I'd like to hope that the team spirit in the squad will have all the players demanding to play every game.🤗
Keep the faith
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 6:34pm
We absolutely should not risk any key players in the Challenge Cup. We should use it solely for development/ playing players back to fitness. 

Anyone who thinks we should be sending the likes of Ken, Foxy, Lousi or McNicholl to Georgia or wherever is plain crazy. Send an "A" team to the away games. Sprinkle a few second teasers in our home games and if we somehow are in a position to qualify, put a strong team out for round 6.

Otherwise we have to plan the season around getting a home playoff in the P14.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 6:25pm

scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 4:27pm

Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

The challenge cup with the teams who could be in it next season has potential to be a decent competiton, however teams play their 2nd/3rd string teams to often and its not televised enough to allow people to consider it a decent competition. We could potentially be in a pool with Leicester and Toulon next season!
but until its mathematically impossible I am praying we can finish 4th and have a play off vs blues for the champions cup spot

Maybe south african teams could be in Challenge next season, also a rappresentative of players of italian championship...
With teams like Toulon, Leicester and others, more games will be televised, surely from french channels, or S4C.
In the worst case, we go to Challenge with the ambition to win it...

Totally agree Mr Ian, if we are in it then we have to be in it to win it. not just making the numbers up like the Os did this year when they played in it by resting all their players on all their away games
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

The challenge cup with the teams who could be in it next season has potential to be a decent competiton, however teams play their 2nd/3rd string teams to often and its not televised enough to allow people to consider it a decent competition. We could potentially be in a pool with Leicester and Toulon next season!
but until its mathematically impossible I am praying we can finish 4th and have a play off vs blues for the champions cup spot

So our highly paid players will take a few weeks off during the competition then?

I hope not, if we are in it, we need to be in it to win it, get a home qf and a home semi final
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The first step in us improving is clearly not burying our head in the sand and realising that injuries are not the total answer to our problems. On Saturday even with Ball, Bulbring, Aaron & Blade we would have struggled to match their power & carrying as an 8. The answer is clear for all - we need to recruit ball carriers & our lineout work is a shambles. 

Such poor execution of basic forward skills has to be our main priority as without consistent competitive forward performances we are going to always struggle even more so when it comes to the final stages of competitions. 

The struggle which Rhys is going through at the moment is very unfortunate as he, more than Dan, attacks the line with pace and can pick his passes accurately. I thought the first half performance of our back 3 was the best this season but with Clayton not delivering we certainly need to find some quality back up. 

Money of course is key but I would imagine that most of it for next season should and will be spent up front. 
HP looked very attack minded and had a decent game -getting back to form

Regarding our back 3, Halfpenny was terrible throughout, running up blind alleys every time he got the ball.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 2:46pm

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 12:30pm

Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:02am

Just usual one eyed over reaction. the relality is you either get back in the Champions Cup by doing well in the challenge cup or your domestic competition so I guess it’s where you want to put your eggs. It will be sad fir the clubs history if we go down but no shame if we are surrounded by teams like Leicester with huge following and budgets. Things have changed and this is probably a reflection of Welsh regional rugby. We have outperformed hugely in the last few years. Let’s wait and see what happens.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 1:33am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic