Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel Folau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Crikey what a mess ...The awkward reality is in western society some groups are more protected than others, which ultimately will cause double standards and probably mayhem over time. A lot of people speak with absolute certainty over these issues, when its not always black and white. 

In our democratic world Folau is entitled to his views no matter how prehistoric and outdated they are

Are the ARFU entitled to sack him because of those views? imo no but I'm no legal expert

I don't agree with his views but I think he has right to express them

Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Crikey what a mess ...The awkward reality is in western society some groups are more protected than others, which ultimately will cause double standards and probably mayhem over time. A lot of people speak with absolute certainty over these issues, when its not always black and white. 

In our democratic world Folau is entitled to his views no matter how prehistoric and outdated they are

Are the ARFU entitled to sack him because of those views? imo no but I'm no legal expert

You've completely missed the point.
It's not that the ARFU told him he couldn't have his views. It's not that he was banned from posting say, "Happy Easter" or pieces of scripture.

The problem comes when he uses his faith to supposedly justify publicly wishing hate and pain on a minority group, especially when being paid very handsomely for a privilege (playing top level rugby) and representing the company that does so.

Stinks even more when he blatantly ignores other parts of the bible (do not wear mixed fabrics, no tattoos, no rabbit/pork/shellfish etc) and just uses his belief to attack members of the LGBT community. Abhorrent really.

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:41am

Rugby Australia has a number of codes of conduct, one being an 11-page document called an “Inclusion Policy” which looks to protect gay and lesbian people who choose to play rugby. Down on page three is the kicker under bullet point 1.4:

“Rugby AU recognises that both intentional and unintentional homophobic behaviour exist within society in Australia, and that this can have adverse and potentially significant consequences for some individuals and our game.”

Thus, continues the policy, “rugby has and must continue to be a sport where players, officials, volunteers, supporters and administrators have the right and freedom to participate regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race or religion and without fear of exclusion. There is no place for homophobia or any form of discrimination in our game and our actions and words both on and off the field must reflect this”.

Edited by roy munster - 17 May 2019 at 11:37pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:50am
Izzy sacked, god has many plans for his $1m a year don't worry 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

[QUOTE=roy munster]Crikey what a mess ...The awkward reality is in western society some groups are more protected than others, which ultimately will cause double standards and probably mayhem over time. A lot of people speak with absolute certainty over these issues, when its not always black and white. 

You've completely missed the point.
It's not that the ARFU told him he couldn't have his views. It's not that he was banned from posting say, "Happy Easter" or pieces of scripture.

so he can have his views but he can't post them on twitter?

if he had removed the lgbt reference and just  tweeted all drunkards, atheists  and adulterers etc were going to hell would have got sacked then?  I very much doubt it

As I said I think he is an idiot  and a bigot but is that grounds to sack him?

I don't know can any legal experts cast light on this?

Edited by RR1972 - 24 May 2019 at 3:19pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 8:01am
Well as predicted way back this episode has cost Rugby Australia with an out of court settlement just reached. Clearly not quite as clear cut as many thought. Sacking someone because they repeat their religious beliefs is & always was dodgy ground & has only deepened the financial mire that RA finds itself in.

I agree with RR1972's post above - most of us will think he has been an idiot but no more idiotic than RA in sacking him. 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 1:29pm
I wonder if the settlement included the clause that he won’t play rugby(union) again. 

He’s a phenomenal player, not very likeable though. 

I expect he’ll be at some team in one form of rugby or another once this settlement thing blows over. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I wonder if the settlement included the clause that he won’t play rugby(union) again. 

He’s a phenomenal player, not very likeable though. 

I expect he’ll be at some team in one form of rugby or another once this settlement thing blows over. 

True - my money is on Bristol or Saracens.Wink
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well as predicted way back this episode has cost Rugby Australia with an out of court settlement just reached. Clearly not quite as clear cut as many thought. Sacking someone because they repeat their religious beliefs is & always was dodgy ground & has only deepened the financial mire that RA finds itself in.

I agree with RR1972's post above - most of us will think he has been an idiot but no more idiotic than RA in sacking him. 

yeah this was an inevitable waste of money
too much grandstanding on all sides
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 12:39pm
Israel Folau has signed for French super league outfit Catalans Dragons.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Israel Folau has signed for French super league outfit Catalans Dragons.
Good to see the negative reaction from the rest of the Super League clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic