Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hayward joins Wales coaching team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hayward joins Wales coaching team
    Posted: 14 April 2019 at 8:53am
This was reported on the BBC yesterday, so unless it's old news which I missed when out of the country, here it is for comment:

It also says that Hayward 'could' work alongside Shaun Edwards - I don't know quite what Edwards is playing at, since his status wrt contracts has not been clear for some time. He'd be worth keeping, for Wales, obviously - if he's interested.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 10:57am
It'd be great for Wales if Heyward shadowed Shaun for 2 years before Shaun could go off and do the Lions with Gats or something, which would be rightly deserved.

If Stevo can also address the balance between Wales' defence and attack it'd make us much more dangerous.

Shaun is a big character, much bigger than Howley, and clearly thats reflected onto the way Wales play. Defending outstanding and a bit muddled in attack.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 11:33am
I wish them all well obviously but.....the sharks will be out and there'll be a feeding frenzy if the first few games don't go well.

The rest of Wales and the tribal Welsh Press will be sharpening knives just getting ready for the first slip.

There are certain aspects of Wales I miss no longer living there but the internecine tribal warfare that goes on.....not.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:43pm
Being reported that Hayward & Edwards will both be defence coaches - Hayward to study the opposition & how to stop them and Edwards to coach. Sounds like a buggers muddle to me. They have around a dozen games a year. If Edwards cannot study 12 teams method of play and successfully come up with a plan then what has he been doing the past 12 years? 

As I have said previously any coach who coached the Scarlets defensive performances against the Blues this year is lucky to be still in a job let alone gain promotion. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

As I have said previously any coach who coached the Scarlets defensive performances against the Blues this year is lucky to be still in a job let alone gain promotion. 

I’m pretty sure some of the teams Shaun Edwards has coached have had similar days to the one we had in Cardiff a few weeks back.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

I wish them all well obviously but.....the sharks will be out and there'll be a feeding frenzy if the first few games don't go well.

The rest of Wales and the tribal Welsh Press will be sharpening knives just getting ready for the first slip.

There are certain aspects of Wales I miss no longer living there but the internecine tribal warfare that goes on.....not.

Indeed. It seems the narrative is already written with a lot of people that Pivac’s tenure will be a disaster, and that the new team will fall well short of the 12 years of glory we’ve had under Gatland and co.

I hope that the Western Mail don’t return to their poisonous antics of 2006/07 and that the negativity doesn’t pervade into the squad, as that is usually the death knell.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 1:16pm
Sounds like a right fudge . Let’s hope that Hayward and Edwards can work together as it looks ripe for clashing 🤔
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Pivac’s tenure will be a disaster, and that the new team will fall well short of the 12 years of glory we’ve had under Gatland and co.

I hope that the Western Mail don’t return to their poisonous antics of 2006/07 and that the negativity doesn’t pervade into the squad, as that is usually the death knell.

It's worth remembering that there have been times under Gatland as low as the current high. 

At one point it looked as if he'd turned into Wales' Arsene Wenger rather than Wales' Fergie. Think of when we dropped to 9th in the world!

Gatland has really book-ended his tenure with 2 grand slams which means he'll be remembered fondly whatever happens in the world cup, but it's not been all roses and it wont be for Pivac either!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Pivac’s tenure will be a disaster, and that the new team will fall well short of the 12 years of glory we’ve had under Gatland and co.

It's worth remembering that there have been times under Gatland as low as the current high. 

At one point it looked as if he'd turned into Wales' Arsene Wenger rather than Wales' Fergie. Think of when we dropped to 9th in the world!

Gatland has really book-ended his tenure with 2 grand slams which means he'll be remembered fondly whatever happens in the world cup, but it's not been all roses and it wont be for Pivac either!

I think that was as a result of the AI we played in 2011 after RWC 2011. Still we beat England at Twickers and ensured that they were the first hosts to exit at the group stage.

Edited by ap sior - 14 April 2019 at 1:43pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 2:47pm
Good luck to Byron in his next role. As a whole we’ve improved considerably in defence since his arrival in 2014, this season has been a bit hit and miss, but then again so as the other aspects of our game.
Unfortunately for Byron, Wayne and Steven, it will be likened to David Moyes and his backroom staff taking over the reins from Sir Alex and Co. they are on a hiding to nothing, especially if Wales have an exceptional World Cup (which I hope they do).
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:11pm
Maybe they can utilise these extra defensive coaches to do some clinics for regional players too....Lets face it the regions need help in that area

Either way I think its great news..This coaching set up has massive potential imo ..edwards is a world class defensive guru, byron will bring his own ideas....stevo will surely add a lot more ideas than howler.... the vastly experienced humphreys should be a better replacement for mcbryde ...obviously pivac hasnt got gats track record but he ticks a lot of boxes hes done test rugby for 3 years , hes done auckland north harbour and 4 years and 5 years with us...He knows welsh rugby and the players. Hes worked with this team for most of that time and he has the added mastery of edwards to call on.

As for concerns over being compared with Gats ...Were building on Gats legacy here. Things werent perfect under gats its an ongoing process. His win record was 58%. The only downside was the all blacks and australia results and generally not a great deal of tries in recent years. Maybe pivac and co can improve on that.

Edited by roy munster - 14 April 2019 at 3:41pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Good luck to Byron in his next role. As a whole we’ve improved considerably in defence since his arrival in 2014, this season has been a bit hit and miss, but then again so as the other aspects of our game.
Unfortunately for Byron, Wayne and Steven, it will be likened to David Moyes and his backroom staff taking over the reins from Sir Alex and Co. they are on a hiding to nothing, especially if Wales have an exceptional World Cup (which I hope they do).

There is an element of that about things, isn't there?

I hope - as others have pointed out - that the press remembers that not all of Gatland's seasons were crowned with success (indeed, the AIs were pretty awful overall) and give the new team a fair crack of the whip.

It would be very good if Edwards stays on, partly because he's an excellent coach, and partly because if things go wrong the press won't be able to say: "If only Edwards was still here...".
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:39pm
Yeah beyond silverware Gatland made Wales believe they could win any game they played in.

What he never achieved though, was a tour win in one of the southern hemisphere big 3, beat the All Blacks nor played the rugby with the attacking flair that we have seen at the Scarlets.

These are the obvious things Wayne and co can try and topple in his first 2 years to dispel the David Moyes tag.
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:54pm

Edited by shocker - 14 April 2019 at 3:55pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 9:43am
I wonder if there has been some kind of deal agreed with the WRU where Shaun Edwards and Haywood will have some input in the Scarlets defence over the next 2 years.
If not, it seems like a bit of a waste of money, especially as Haywood would have been under contract with the Scarlets, who have defended poorly for most of the season for whatever reason.
If the Scarlets are able to tap into Edwards’ defensive prowess then that can only benefit the players moving forward.
Regardless, great news for the WRU.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 10:15am
I just worry about too many cooks in the defence kitchen and whether the two can work together with coaching egos ? if they can then that's great but its a bit of a worry and looks like a fudge .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic