Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hayward joins Wales coaching team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Edwards doesn't want to sign the contract offered to him from the WRU as it is only 2 years & doesn't take him through to the 2023 RWC like the rest of the new Welsh coaching team.

Sounds like another example of the WRU not thinking things through from the outset. Why would Edwards spend two years training up Hayward & then head off mid World Cup cycle when most options will be limited. 

If Fscarlet is right, I'm baffled as to what Edwards is up to, and also what the WRU are up to. One party or the other needs to take a decision on EXACTLY what they want, and stick to it. If the WRU want Edwards to stay, why not give him 4 years? If they have decided on 2 years max, then Edwards has to decide to take it or look elsewhere for a good pay-day.

We can't be faffing around for ever... (oh, apart from Brexit...)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Edwards doesn't want to sign the contract offered to him from the WRU as it is only 2 years & doesn't take him through to the 2023 RWC like the rest of the new Welsh coaching team.

Sounds like another example of the WRU not thinking things through from the outset. Why would Edwards spend two years training up Hayward & then head off mid World Cup cycle when most options will be limited. 

If Fscarlet is right, I'm baffled as to what Edwards is up to, and also what the WRU are up to. One party or the other needs to take a decision on EXACTLY what they want, and stick to it. If the WRU want Edwards to stay, why not give him 4 years? If they have decided on 2 years max, then Edwards has to decide to take it or look elsewhere for a good pay-day.

Correct Aber but this is business as usual for the WRU. Edwards does not come out of this with his reputation enhanced. His treatment of Wigan will not be quickly forgotten by supporters who previously held him in the highest regard. All this nonsense about the World Cup training schedule being brought forward is a total red herring. He knew all the facts when he shook on the Wigan offer. He appears to have had 2nd thoughts as his success with Wales has been celebrated. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:25pm

Correct Aber but this is business as usual for the WRU. Edwards does not come out of this with his reputation enhanced. His treatment of Wigan will not be quickly forgotten by supporters who previously held him in the highest regard. All this nonsense about the World Cup training schedule being brought forward is a total red herring. He knew all the facts when he shook on the Wigan offer. He appears to have had 2nd thoughts as his success with Wales has been celebrated. 

Yes - his reputation as a coach has gone sky high in the last months, but the same can't be said for his reputation as a man of his word.

Gatland, on the other hand, has always seen through his contracts to the letter as far as I know.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:47pm
Only the wru can mess this up
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:51pm
Is it the WRU ??????
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 2:47pm
  Byron has a good head on his shoulders biut I fear for Pivac. It  feels as though he has had Edwards imposed on him, a man who does not share his values or philosophy and could be a disruptive influence.  remember Johnson's role in undermining Ruddock?   Hope I'm wrong beucause there was no good outcome for Pivac - although perhaps its a case of better on the inside pissing out than outside piossing in.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 2:58pm
Personally I would leave him go as he could well be a disruptive influence . Basically in my opinion only, he has bullied his way in here when Wayne clearly thought he was off to Wigan. In my opinion he is pushing his own agenda and it’s embarrassing as well as putting Byron and Wayne in an uncomfortable situation. Let him go .

Edited by reesytheexile - 17 April 2019 at 4:56pm
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 3:06pm
I am not a great fan of Edwards except his defence coaching, but we do not know the whole picture, does Wayne want hi, does he want to work with Wayne, who's offered him the job, what influence has he had on the job, is it the WRU pushing the agenda, or is it Wayne, or Edwards himself.

There is a lot of jumping to conclusions, and what is the press doing about it.

As a coach, it would certainly be good for Wayne to keep him, he knows the players and they know him, Western Mail for once said something sensible this week, having Edwards will benefit Wayne & Steve on their attacking options.

If everyone was happy then I think he should stay, but not if the tail is wagging the dog !!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 3:08pm
I don't think Pivac is the type to get bullied somehow although I can understand why people would think so. Both Edwards and Hayward are very religious people too.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Personally I would leave him go as he could well be a disruptive influence . Basically he has bullied his way in here when Wayne clearly thought he was off to Wigan. He is pushing his own agenda and it’s embarrassing as well as putting Byron and Wayne in an uncomfortable situation. Let him go .

Do you have one tiny atom of evidence to support any of of that or is it merely hyperbole?

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Personally I would leave him go as he could well be a disruptive influence . Basically he has bullied his way in here when Wayne clearly thought he was off to Wigan. He is pushing his own agenda and it’s embarrassing as well as putting Byron and Wayne in an uncomfortable situation. Let him go .

Do you have one tiny atom of evidence to support any of of that or is it merely hyperbole?

None whatsoever. It’s just my opinion if that’s okay . It reeks of a fudge but it’s just my opinion.
PS If it works then great but I don’t think so.

Edited by reesytheexile - 17 April 2019 at 5:06pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 8:56am
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

I don't think Pivac is the type to get bullied somehow although I can understand why people would think so. Both Edwards and Hayward are very religious people too.

I have no idea of how this is relevant, but given the lengthy history of religious wars I do hope that they attend the same church!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 9:15am

I have no idea of how this is relevant, but given the lengthy history of religious wars I do hope that they attend the same church!

Sean is Roman Catholic and Byron a born again ( late life convert ) but I would guess is not a born again Catholic 😉 Some heavy religious discussions anticipated after training sessions ! 😉

Edited by reesytheexile - 18 April 2019 at 9:17am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 10:09am

Sean is Roman Catholic and Byron a born again ( late life convert ) but I would guess is not a born again Catholic 😉 Some heavy religious discussions anticipated after training sessions ! 😉

Does that mean that Wales will have two gods on their side instead of just the one, in future?Wink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:15am
I see both sides

1) shaun is the best defence in the world, any Union  would want him
2) he is better at this job than Byron not a knock on Byron but hard facts
3) he didn't sign anything with wigan, nothing agreed in law so if he can earn more money in union why not? let's not forget how wigan treated people like Mike Gregory (rip)  in the past
4) Shaun is fully entitled to ask for a 4 year deal, if wales won't give him one the rfu. or a French /English club will
5) Shaun has a rock solid reputation of supporting his bosses be it geech or gats , to compare him with that aussie chancer Johnson is way out of order tbh

the negatives

1) PIvac likes and trusts Byron, he will not to put him in a difficult spot
2) He and Stevo get on with Byron , they may not get on with Edwards (he and indeed gats  seem  a v different character to them) I'm not sure they will gel
3) He and Edwards may have diff ideas of how rugby is played and how defences are set up
4) The idea that hayward gives Edwards a game plan on how to defend against sides and then Edwards puts that plan into practice is laughable, imo Edwards knows far better than Hayward how to set up a defensive plan. Hayward should be shadowing and learning from Edwards when in wales camp and then working with a region for the rest of his time

This is a difficult matter and I think this will be a problem, the wru seem to want Edwards but pivac is lukewarm

I have my doubts about Pivac as Wales head coach, he will be tarred with a scarlet bias, other fans already seem to be ready to jump on him. Also imo him and stevo will not be disciplined enough to keep team wales in line

I see trouble ahead
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:17am

That is 100% not happening, Edwards is a northern catholic, Byron a welsh valley protestant LOLLOL

But they will probably have many shared values so that should actually help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic