Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youngsters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:50am
I think we need to make the under 20s our 'binding' team & not the A team who don't play at all...
Sponsored Links

gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I think we need to make the under 20s our 'binding' team & not the A team who don't play at all...

does appear to be a bizarre decision, if people were capped when it was our Binding team, do they stay bound now the A team is binding or does it open it all back up again?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

The reason it was changed was because a lot of dual-qualified youngsters refused to play for us at under 20s level because they wanted to keep their options open.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Are the 4 boys from Carmarthen rugby players, because Hartpury offer other sports as well.

It is difficult our education system has fallen slowly back so much over the past 50 years that we need to address that, the benefits will then follow.

There's nothing new about this - talented Welsh rugby youngsters were being offered scholarships in English 'public' schools at least as far back as the 1960s.

For example - Gareth Edwards was awarded a sports scholarship to Millfield School in Somerset.

Another former pupil is Salem Bin Laden - Osama's brother - but I guess we'd better draw a veil over that!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Are the 4 boys from Carmarthen rugby players, because Hartpury offer other sports as well.

It is difficult our education system has fallen slowly back so much over the past 50 years that we need to address that, the benefits will then follow.

There's nothing new about this - talented Welsh rugby youngsters were being offered scholarships in English 'public' schools at least as far back as the 1960s.

For example - Gareth Edwards was awarded a sports scholarship to Millfield School in Somerset.

Another former pupil is Salem Bin Laden - Osama's brother - but I guess we'd better draw a veil over that!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 4:21pm
Loughborough also attracted some especially for athletes but it was for their own college reputation so far as I recall in those amateur days and now it all seems commercially tied up with Gloucester Rugby for Harpury and Clifton College for Bristol ( certainly in terms of Welsh young rugby talent which is my main concern.).
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:15pm
With Alun Wyn Jones and George North as past pupils Llandovery College would appear to be the perfect choice along with its proximity to Lladovery RFC and accessability to North Wales pupils. However, how the WRU go about it I have no idea!
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:50pm

It works both ways boys, there are at least 6 boys in the Scarlets Academy system who were schooled in England and were signed from the Exiles .
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:58pm
This popped up on Twitter earlier today,  Rhodri King, 18 years old, Scarlets Academy, Wales U18 and played for Camarthen Athletc RFC.

Highlights videos are a bit one-eyed, but what a ball carrying hooker! Great hands and really quick.
Joshua24:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic