Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Euro play-off thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 5:38pm
Well, I went to bed thinking that was the season over and woke up to find out that the Scarlets have been given a 'life' (or maybe two if Leinster win the RCC - is that right?).

TBH, we don't deserve it, but let's hope the players and coaches can wake up before the Ospreys showdown... can't say I'm optimistic, but if we get Jake back that'll help a lot - we lacked carriers yesterday, and needed more grunt in the scrums... surprised we didn't get on top there. As for the lineout - what a shambles. Serious work needs to be done on that. Finally, the defensive organisation was poor, leaving gaps for the likes of Screech to run in tries, FFS! At one time, it looked as if Samson was supposed to be our last defender on the wing... need I say more?

So - pull your fingers out, Scarlets! Let's really take it to the Ospreys.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

whilst the players are taking the flak I think it's only right to point out that the coaches shoulder a large part of the blame,as upset as wasps were to lose stevo I think our back play has been the same as it was under nigel davies and mark jones  where we either kick the ball away or just shuffle it along the back line like training,our defence has been non existent,our lineout has been a total disaster and our ball retention has been atrocious,we have british lions and internationals galore so the buck has to stop somewhere.

I can’t agree with you on our attack. It improved markedly after Stephen Jones joined as coach. A Pro12 title, reaching the Heineken Cup semis, and reaching another league final are proof of that. Even during this horrendous campaign we were the 4th top scorers in the Pro14.

I agree about the decline in our defence this season has been significant and hugely costly. It’s been far too soft. We’ve missed Shingler’s ability to catch carriers behind the gain line, and Cubby, Barclay and Beirne’s nuisance factor in slowing down ball.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It has been an awful season.  I'm usually the last to give in to pessimistic thoughts, but yes, the season has been poor.  However I don't believe this season's results will have any bearing on our performances next year.  We have a good squad going into 2019/20 and in all probability we can look forward to a good season. We need to make sure that next year's squad get a chance to grace the Champions Cup.

We need to treat this game against the Ospreys as a knockout stage game in the Champions Cup because in effect; thats exactly what it is.  Winning this game is as important as any game we have played this season. Our suport is needed now more than ever - lets make it a big day. 

We put in a committed performance at the Liberty in December and could, probably should, have won. We’ll have a stronger squad available this time. We can win there.

First half up there we did ok but I felt we lost our way in the 2nd, allowing Ospreys to dominate and, ultimately, win the game.
Bit like yesterday, really.....

We were leading at HT even with Parkes at 10. Ball going off injured saw them start to turn the tide up front, and a fortunate try resulting from a loose ball being kicked through ended up being the difference.
There was also a significant change in the performance of the front row at half time.  Not sure now if it was a change in personnel or a change in approach, but we lost our dominance which had been winning us penalties. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 7:32pm

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

It has been an awful season.  I'm usually the last to give in to pessimistic thoughts, but yes, the season has been poor.  However I don't believe this season's results will have any bearing on our performances next year.  We have a good squad going into 2019/20 and in all probability we can look forward to a good season. We need to make sure that next year's squad get a chance to grace the Champions Cup.

We need to treat this game against the Ospreys as a knockout stage game in the Champions Cup because in effect; thats exactly what it is.  Winning this game is as important as any game we have played this season. Our suport is needed now more than ever - lets make it a big day. 

We put in a committed performance at the Liberty in December and could, probably should, have won. We’ll have a stronger squad available this time. We can win there.

First half up there we did ok but I felt we lost our way in the 2nd, allowing Ospreys to dominate and, ultimately, win the game.
Bit like yesterday, really.....

We were leading at HT even with Parkes at 10. Ball going off injured saw them start to turn the tide up front, and a fortunate try resulting from a loose ball being kicked through ended up being the difference.
There was also a significant change in the performance of the front row at half time.  Not sure now if it was a change in personnel or a change in approach, but we lost our dominance which had been winning us penalties. 

I think that was possibly the difference in weight coming through from the second row. Jake is a much bigger and stronger guy than Rawlins, who I think replaced him that day.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2019 at 10:09pm

whilst the players are taking the flak I think it's only right to point out that the coaches shoulder a large part of the blame,as upset as wasps were to lose stevo I think our back play has been the same as it was under nigel davies and mark jones  where we either kick the ball away or just shuffle it along the back line like training,our defence has been non existent,our lineout has been a total disaster and our ball retention has been atrocious,we have british lions and internationals galore so the buck has to stop somewhere.

I can’t agree with you on our attack. It improved markedly after Stephen Jones joined as coach. A Pro12 title, reaching the Heineken Cup semis, and reaching another league final are proof of that. Even during this horrendous campaign we were the 4th top scorers in the Pro14.

I agree about the decline in our defence this season has been significant and hugely costly. It’s been far too soft. We’ve missed Shingler’s ability to catch carriers behind the gain line, and Cubby, Barclay and Beirne’s nuisance factor in slowing down ball.
i'm talking about this season in particular.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 8:43am

yes this season we have not had a form 10 playing all season. they have either been injured, completely out of form or a player out of position. HUGE factor for the attacking play this season.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

yes this season we have not had a form 10 playing all season. they have either been injured, completely out of form or a player out of position. HUGE factor for the attacking play this season.
surely good coaches adapt to this?we had more than enough ball on Saturday to try something different,we have been shuffling from side to side or kicking the ball away from the first game of the season up to last Saturday.
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:36am
If the league decide that if Leinster earn the Pro 14 the extra spot it will go to the other 4th placed team  meaning Ospreys and ourselves go through, will the WRU and Gatland remove any of the players in the World Cup 48 man training squad rather than going 7 bells at each other in a pointless game?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by insidehalf insidehalf wrote:

If the league decide that if Leinster earn the Pro 14 the extra spot it will go to the other 4th placed team  meaning Ospreys and ourselves go through, will the WRU and Gatland remove any of the players in the World Cup 48 man training squad rather than going 7 bells at each other in a pointless game?

Erm they don't, it is all dependent on who wins the relevant European trophies, if Leinster win (& both of the Challenge Cup finalists have qualified for the Champions Cup next season) then the extra place goes to the Pro 14. If Saracens win then the extra spot goes to thier league.
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:43am
Yeah I know that, as I said if Leinster earn us the extra spot and all other connotations go our way. I couldn't be ar**d to write every possibility down only the one that could affect us, which people on here have been talking about.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:51am

No, because again, we won't know the extra 8th spot is guaranteed to be going to a Pro14 team until after the Top14 finishes, which is a week after our playoff game is being played.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 9:56am

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

surely good coaches adapt to this?we had more than enough ball on Saturday to try something different,we have been shuffling from side to side or kicking the ball away from the first game of the season up to last Saturday.
for me its the way we play...Dan doesn't seem to get the backs as involved as Patch. is that coaching, ability, communication...
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

No, because again, we won't know the extra 8th spot is guaranteed to be going to a Pro14 team until after the Top14 finishes, which is a week after our playoff game is being played.

Depending on results La Rochelles’ qualification could be settled by then.
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:21am
The Aviva and the pro14 may not finish til after the play off but we know mathematically WinZip where.
I e sale are 4 pts clear of 7th place with 2 games left.
They won next Sat against Bristol, they be 6th the lowest
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Depending on results La Rochelles’ qualification could be settled by then.

Good news is they won, & moved into 6th, on the weekend & are 5 points ahead of Montpelier in 7th
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2019 at 11:17am
Don’t think my bloood pressure can handle another away loss. It doesn’t matter who we select to play we just aren’t a team this season what a [beep]ing shambles it’s been. After the last two seasons to end up losing to the dragons this season is bonkers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic