Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our vision as a Rugby club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our vision as a Rugby club?
    Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:30am
Can anyone tell me what it is?

We have always relied on trotting out lines about our history heritage yadda yadda yadda. 

But I really dont see a proper all round vision for our CLUB. To build on those excellent foundations we have over other clubs.

To innovate, to prepare for the inevitable changes that are about to happen to the global game. I really worry that we yet again get ourselves into a good position, and just stagnate. 

On the pitch we still havnt found a number 8, by the time we do, it will be time to start wasting years looking for a tight head again as Samson will be finishing.Confused 

Off the pitch despite the fine efforts of CRYS16 the fans connection with the club is poor. Our Presence on a matchday is an after thought in matchday planning. Supporters noise atmosphere and verour doesnt even seem to be in the itinerary. We seem happy to copy the PA plastic soundbites and pop music that plastic clubs pump out because they need to.

I keep getting fooled into thinking we are getting things right by this club. 

Am I the only one noticing this? 
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:12am
Interesting thread and sometimes I asked to myself where we would like to go to. Who are at the moment our inspirational model..
A club who grows and believe in his local talents or a club who find  experienced palyers for compete at high level with the risk, as this year happened, to wrong his market choices.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:40am
To be honest speedy I wonder the same most clubs who have won a title were runners up the following year which included a H cup semi final would have kicked on but due to crap signings and "injuries" we have dropped off the scale and are now clinging on for dear life in Europe.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:50am
It’s a tough one. If we were to set our stall out and say go down the lines of only playing welsh qualifying players, we would struggle to be competitive from the off as we don’t have enough talent within the region to be competitive and the cost of bringing in welsh talent from the other regions would cost us a lot of money. We would also be unfairly treated during the international windows.
Another problem with that rugby model is that apart from in Ireland and New Zealand where the players are centrally contracted and financed appropriately, this model hasn’t really been very successful in terms of producing trophies etc. Although it would be great to be the first region to be successful using this model.
With regards to the fans experience on match day, I certainly agree that we should be doing more. We have a fantastic facility in the shape of the barn, which has been widely praised by away supporters over the years. The music being pumped out by the PA system is not great. We should be promoting our strong welsh heritage more by having more welsh music and utilising the Scarlets choir more, not half an hour before kickoff when no one are in their seats or listening, but during the halftime break, when there are enough people in the stadium. There is no reason why they can’t sing a few songs whilst the youngsters are playing tag rugby.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:42pm
Exeter are a pretty good model to follow, get our house right at the domestic front then build on that going in to Europe.

Hopefully Brad won't have to start from the beginning
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:54pm
While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't really know how you can expect some sort of dominance from any team out of Wales. When your budget is 1 quarter of most french and english teams, getting out of the group stages is a feat in itself. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:33pm
I think, really, that you're talking about two different things here (not to say that there isn't some sort of connection, but still):

1. The club - its history, and how we see that developing (or how we'd LIKE things to go), including the match day experience etc. Now, like you I don't care for loud music and would prefer to let the fans sing and shout. I can't say if the younger generation feel the same though. I still think that despite the nostalgia some feel for Stradey - understandably - the facilities at the Parc are so much better that the move was needed. Scarlets have been decried in some quarters for a perceived selfishness in remaining as a stand-alone entity, not a merged one - so I think the history of Llanelli rugby club feeds very directly into the DNA of the Scarlets as a region. The Ospreys, for all that they have been a successful team, don't have that - I do respect their achievements, though.

2. The team and its success - here, as usual, we're on a roller-coaster. No team stays at the top ALL the time, and in leagues where it's always the same one or two clubs on top (in football, Scotland, Spain) it must get a bit boring and sick-making for supporters of the other clubs. The only way Scarlets can improve, though, is to continue to find occasional bargains (Beirne, for example) to top up home grown talent. Unless the WRU loosen the purse strings, the Welsh regions are simply not able to sign top class overseas players to fill the gaps, or even retain 'our own' - Stevo, Foxy and Sanjay have all left to play for wealthier clubs in the recent past. The end result is that we need a bit of luck with injuries and with recruitment before we can have 'good seasons'.

That's how I see it, anyway.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:26pm
Great feed, I thought it'd be good to capture a range of views on this as it had also been on my mind.

Here's a short survey that i'd love posters to fill out if you've got an opinion!

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't really know how you can expect some sort of dominance from any team out of Wales. When your budget is 1 quarter of most french and english teams, getting out of the group stages is a feat in itself. 

Leinster have dominated europe on much less than the French and English.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I think, really, that you're talking about two different things here (not to say that there isn't some sort of connection, but still):

1. The club - its history, and how we see that developing (or how we'd LIKE things to go), including the match day experience etc. Now, like you I don't care for loud music and would prefer to let the fans sing and shout. I can't say if the younger generation feel the same though. I still think that despite the nostalgia some feel for Stradey - understandably - the facilities at the Parc are so much better that the move was needed. Scarlets have been decried in some quarters for a perceived selfishness in remaining as a stand-alone entity, not a merged one - so I think the history of Llanelli rugby club feeds very directly into the DNA of the Scarlets as a region. The Ospreys, for all that they have been a successful team, don't have that - I do respect their achievements, though.

2. The team and its success - here, as usual, we're on a roller-coaster. No team stays at the top ALL the time, and in leagues where it's always the same one or two clubs on top (in football, Scotland, Spain) it must get a bit boring and sick-making for supporters of the other clubs. The only way Scarlets can improve, though, is to continue to find occasional bargains (Beirne, for example) to top up home grown talent. Unless the WRU loosen the purse strings, the Welsh regions are simply not able to sign top class overseas players to fill the gaps, or even retain 'our own' - Stevo, Foxy and Sanjay have all left to play for wealthier clubs in the recent past. The end result is that we need a bit of luck with injuries and with recruitment before we can have 'good seasons'.

That's how I see it, anyway.

We are a Rugby CLUB that represents a regional area, but we also attract fans from further afield. Something that is woefully lost on any marketing we do. The regional concept is insular and backwards thinking. Its caused us to be more village minded than when we were Llanelli RFC. If we want to compete, then we need to expand. Across Wales and beyond.

We have missed a massive opportunity once again during these last two years of relative success. Now we are back where we started before Pivac took over. We got to be patient and wait for the rebuild once again, but we see near misses as success because we punch above our weight, rather than using the success to springboard us into being heavier!
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Great feed, I thought it'd be good to capture a range of views on this as it had also been on my mind.

Here's a short survey that i'd love posters to fill out if you've got an opinion!

Excellent survey. What will you do with the results?
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:58am
I think you can pinpoint a change in ethos that has caused this club to stagnate to what it used to be.

Upon "regionalisation", we changed our brand, our new motto became "Yma O Hyd" a neutral statement of being happy to just be here.

Compared to our old Motto of "Ymlaen Llanelli"

There is a clear mindset change in the expectations pre and post 2003.

One focussed on progress and moving forward, one was proud to be standing still.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:59am
Still here? yes we are bois, and everyone else is leaving us behind.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Leinster have dominated europe on much less than the French and English.
That’s not true whatsoever. Leinster’s budget is pretty significant and you also need to take into consideration the tax break.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:19am
Interesting thread and long overdue..whats our mission statement and masterplan ? Are we ambitious enough to become the best and remain the best? We have wasted a gilt edged chance with the squad weve had with umpteen welsh stars and lions etc Simply by failing to cover crucial areas , mainly an 8 and like for like replacements for the many stars we have lost...I shall have a ramble later.
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Excellent survey. What will you do with the results?

Will post results this weekend. Some clear answers already.

Got 40 great responses so far, so the more the merrier.

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic