Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for play off game.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Hopefully not Gardner as the RFC will need all the forwards grunt it can muster to tackle a no doubt big and heavy Pooler team on Friday in the Relegation play off. Having the RFC relegated would also be a disaster for the Region as the owner of the RFC . Worrying times for all clubs playing out of Parc Y Scarlets 😰
Priority has to be getting Scarlets in to Europe surely? In terms of bringing in money it doesn’t really compare..

What s the difference moneywise between Champions and Challenge comps?

huge. huge credit to our sponsors to have tied sponsors down to several years as trying to get sponsors whilst being out of the big competition would have been disaster. TV Revenue is huge from Champions Cup as is prize money. I read somewhere that Scarlets had more prize money for qualifying to the quarters and semis of europe than Blues had during their winning campaign of the challenge cup. so there's quite a big difference. a diffrence Welsh sides can not lose out on. Its no coincidence that since not qualifying in Europes top competition, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues have struggled financially.

Knock outs yes. You make your own £ if you qualify from out of the group stages.

But for competing - I was under the impression that the 4 regions get an equal share per season - no matter which tier competition they qualify for, as set out in the Rugby Services Agreement. Or whatever it's called this week.
not sure if thats a thing since the revamped champions cup. i know it used to be but it was my understanding it was competiton money. could be wrong mind.
but granted, the money generated, big fixtures, knock out stages, potential new sponsors, its a knock on effect of the top tier competition. i believe the only competition money/tv money that is currently split 5 ways in the agreement is for the Pro14. again, could be wrong.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:45pm
There is no difference in terms of prize money but as you say its the knock on effect in terms of ticket sales etc. Gloucester, last year, said there was a total difference in income of around £250k between being in the 2 competitions.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:56pm

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Hopefully not Gardner as the RFC will need all the forwards grunt it can muster to tackle a no doubt big and heavy Pooler team on Friday in the Relegation play off. Having the RFC relegated would also be a disaster for the Region as the owner of the RFC . Worrying times for all clubs playing out of Parc Y Scarlets 😰
Priority has to be getting Scarlets in to Europe surely? In terms of bringing in money it doesn’t really compare..

What s the difference moneywise between Champions and Challenge comps?

huge. huge credit to our sponsors to have tied sponsors down to several years as trying to get sponsors whilst being out of the big competition would have been disaster. TV Revenue is huge from Champions Cup as is prize money. I read somewhere that Scarlets had more prize money for qualifying to the quarters and semis of europe than Blues had during their winning campaign of the challenge cup. so there's quite a big difference. a diffrence Welsh sides can not lose out on. Its no coincidence that since not qualifying in Europes top competition, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues have struggled financially.

Knock outs yes. You make your own £ if you qualify from out of the group stages.

But for competing - I was under the impression that the 4 regions get an equal share per season - no matter which tier competition they qualify for, as set out in the Rugby Services Agreement. Or whatever it's called this week.
not sure if thats a thing since the revamped champions cup. i know it used to be but it was my understanding it was competiton money. could be wrong mind.
but granted, the money generated, big fixtures, knock out stages, potential new sponsors, its a knock on effect of the top tier competition. i believe the only competition money/tv money that is currently split 5 ways in the agreement is for the Pro14. again, could be wrong.

I'd love to know what income differences there are between competing in the Challenge and the Champions cup (if any) at group stages, and then the prize money differences between the two also at knock-out stages. It just doesn't add up that they'd be the same at group stage to be honest, it doesn't make sense, but then I have no idea either.

Either way, given the two competitions, the kerb appeal, attracting players/coaches alike, generating revenue at the gates, sponsorship etc to name just a few, the differences must ultimately be huge, let along the TV revenue to go with (as the group stages of the Challenge Cup are not televised)

The bottom line for me is quite simple, I know what I'd rather see our region playing in, and it isn't in the Challenge Cup. We've been hit hugely this season with one of the worst and biggest injury list that I can ever remember, yet we've still managed to at least grab one last chance at getting that last qualification spot, and that must count for something.

I'm just keeping fingers crossed that we'll all be celebrating come late Saturday night at the final whistle. ClapClapClapClapClap
Scarlets!!!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:54pm
Same amount whatever competition they’re in. Plus the Scarlets would have more chance of getting into the knockout stages and even winning it. Anyone who’s seen the quality of last Saturday we’ve got no chance in the champions cup with the squad we have now.

Edited by SA14 - 15 May 2019 at 6:57pm
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Same amount whatever competition they’re in. Plus the Scarlets would have more chance of getting into the knockout stages and even winning it. Anyone who’s seen the quality of last Saturday we’ve got no chance in the champions cup with the squad we have now.

Really? It would impact sponsorship deals though? Gates would be down as well due to relative strength/prestige of visiting side being lower. Fair point re better chance progressing which could make up for gates in pool stage.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Really? It would impact sponsorship deals though? Gates would be down as well due to relative strength/prestige of visiting side being lower. Fair point re better chance progressing which could make up for gates in pool stage.
most optimistic e mail ever from scarlets today promoting season tickets "exclusive access to knock out stage tickets" LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Yes the gates wouldn’t be the same probably and sponsors aren’t going to pull out straight away. Plus if you get in the semis of the challenge cup you qualify for the champions cup so that’s another route into it. Teams rise and fall unfortunately. Look at Toulon. Once the premier team in Europe now they’re in the challenge cup. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

There is no difference in terms of prize money but as you say its the knock on effect in terms of ticket sales etc. Gloucester, last year, said there was a total difference in income of around £250k between being in the 2 competitions.

Sounds about right.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:16am
Thats a lot of money in our financial state. SA14 I agree with you about the quality on offer last Saturday - both teams were impressive but Saracens were relentless and thoroughly deserved their victory.

For all our failings this season I don't agree with you that this squad could not compete. Two of our best performances this season have come against Leinster. Our win at home was full of quality rugby from both teams & without a doubt we deserved to win in Dublin. We have the players, when fit, to compete. It remains to be seen whether Blade can stay fit & solve our No 8 issue and the impact that Lousi makes. We will need a lot of things to go our way - Aaron/Cubby/ Patchell back to their bests; much less injury issues; one of our young wingers to break through; Jake to have a fit season & Steff to resolve his undoubted issues.

A lot of wishes I know but nothing which is not doable and with the benefit for all players of clean slates with a fresh and energised coaching team. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

For all our failings this season I don't agree with you that this squad could not compete.

I don't think we have the squad to compete in a Champions Cup final. That's not being defeatist. Just realistic.

You need 25 quality players in a squad to put in a performance like Saracens did. We are not at that level. And there are about 4 or 5 other clubs below that level that we are not at either (Leinster, Clermont, Toulouse and maybe Munster).

That's no disgrace. We always punch above our collective weight, but that extra couple of million budget, plus the ability to attract your Scott Fardys instead of going for punts, plus the ability to retain your players like Liam Williams is just that extra rung on the ladder that we can't (yet) climb.

Edited by KID A - 16 May 2019 at 11:11am
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:37am
I don't think that we are that far away  . At the start of the season ,our expectations were sky high and I for one was very excited and hopeful  . We were then hit by a wave of catastrophic injuries , that would have devastated even Saracens and Leinster in all honesty .  We've had twenty years of injuries condensed into one season and the situation was worsened by the loss of form of some of our key players . We need some marquee signings now - in order to press forward for the next five years at least .

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:10pm
You don't automatically qualify for Champions Cup if you get to Semis of Challenge Cup - e.g jf La Rochelle, as runners up this season, don't end up in the top 6 in the Top 14 in a few weeks then they will take the extra spot from the Challenge Cup this year - with the beaten semi-finalists getting no benefit if they need it.
NeylandAllBlack View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeylandAllBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:23pm
Shingler and Fonotia out. Wyn Jones struggling and Samson still going through HIA protocols.

We'e going to get bummed.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by NeylandAllBlack NeylandAllBlack wrote:

Shingler and Fonotia out. Wyn Jones struggling and Samson still going through HIA protocols.

That’s the spirit.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:50pm

If the props are out do not underestimate Phil Price and Werner Kruger probably been our best TH this season.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

If the props are out do not underestimate Phil Price and Werner Kruger probably been our best TH this season.
Samson is a significantly stronger scrummager though although I agree Kruger is better around the park. Going to be a long afternoon for him against Nicky Smith whose developed into a very good scrummager.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic