Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets Finances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Excellent news!! Yes we all have some ideas to improve things but lets leave that for another thread and celebrate the great financial turn-around.

Roll up roll up and join the great supreme financial turn around. It will take your mind off the lack of decent rugby at our club.

Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.

Bank balances mean nothing if there is no product to sell.

Roll up roll up.

The freakshow continues in the all new Challenge sheid parker pen.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
This is such an embarrassing and ignorant post

spot on scarletnut.
at the end of the day, pro sport is business.
Scarlets is business.
I have to take this part:
"Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.
Bank balances mean nothing if there is no product to sell."
In tough financial times in the country, tough financial times for pro rugby in general, we are doing extremely well. In recent years, under Pivac, he has guided us to 1 x Pro14 Title, 2 x Pro14 finals, 1 x Champions Cup Semi Final...not really sure how you can say that's failure for us in the last 5 years.
but are you saying its wrong for the scarlets to put business before rugby??? of course they have to do that...with business side fails, scarlets disappear! simple as that.

Pro sport is business? Its business is the sport it claims to represent. That product has to be the main objective.

Everything is arse backwards. Even when we show a glimpse of having a proper team it always falls to crap within 2 years. we NEVER EVER kick on.

Pardon me if I dont join in the celebration of our books looking better than our rugby team.

This statement just shows how outdated your views and understanding are on pro sport. Pro sports business is now, most definitely more about what goes on off the pitch not on it. Long term on field success is based on a solid base, solid acumen/planning and darned generous hard working people off it. It is off field that drives on field these days buddy, not the other way around. You may not like it, and you may choose not to believe it but it is the way it is. How many times have we and others tried to build on field success on foundations of sand, and what has been the end result?

Forgive me for judging but I do believe it is people with opinions like yours that have kept Welsh club, regional and international rugby to a certain extent in the dark ages for so long. It is people like the directors of our ever improving region that are trying very hard to drag us out of it. I'm sorry for you we haven't got a 'clubhouse' for you to fraternise with your inner circle, but I quite like the barn, and my kids love it! Different strokes for different folks. Away games and internationals, I'm quite happy to go down my local CLUB (remember we are a region), talk Scarlets and put some much needed money over the bar there.

In my opinion the other point which seems to escape you is our success will always be cyclical, it is always going to be a few good years followed by a few lean years as with most other teams. We can't go out and fill holes in the team with off the shelf finished articles, we have to train and develop them, then when the moon and the stars aline every so often we will have a team that will compete at the top table, but what we should expect is a team that consistently competes, and if we compete next season i'm quite happy to write off the last as a blip.

We have a very tidy stadium, with very good facilities (assets; unlike any other welsh region), a good squad on paper who have won recent silverware, we've had a few years of success achieved with a good mixture of homegrown and resourced talent, year before last our team allowed us to dare to dream, our board are astute and unselfish. I'm very happy with where we are and where we are heading.
Sponsored Links

PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:01am

Excellent news!! Yes we all have some ideas to improve things but lets leave that for another thread and celebrate the great financial turn-around.

Roll up roll up and join the great supreme financial turn around. It will take your mind off the lack of decent rugby at our club.

Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.
"Marvel at how business focussed we are as a business, despite Rugby being our business and actually failing at that.
In tough financial times in the country, tough financial times for pro rugby in general, we are doing extremely well. In recent years, under Pivac, he has guided us to 1 x Pro14 Title, 2 x Pro14 finals, 1 x Champions Cup Semi Final...not really sure how you can say that's failure for us in the last 5 years.
but are you saying its wrong for the scarlets to put business before rugby??? of course they have to do that...with business side fails, scarlets disappear! simple as that.

Pro sport is business? Its business is the sport it claims to represent. That product has to be the main objective.

Everything is arse backwards. Even when we show a glimpse of having a proper team it always falls to crap within 2 years. we NEVER EVER kick on.

Pardon me if I dont join in the celebration of our books looking better than our rugby team.
Of course it's business.
no business, no money.
no money, no wages or funds.
no wages, no staff, no players.
no funds, no stadium, no academy,
no academy, no future.

so the fact that the business is doing well, we have a future.
business is poor, we close the doors. not sure how once can not see/understand that.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:04pm

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.

Of course it's business.
no business, no money.
no academy, no future.

business is poor, we close the doors. not sure how once can not see/understand that.
. I would guess because they have never ever run/ owned a business?🤔
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 8:35am

Roll up roll up.

Roll up roll up.

Roll cowing on.
spot on scarletnut.
Scarlets is business.

Of course it's business.
no business, no money.
no academy, no future.

We have a good balance off the back of the rugby, our product being good for a blip of 2 years, by celebrating our financial upturn we are burying our head to the problem we have created ourselves, by letting the standard of our product slip. Injuries sminjeries, we were totally uncoached last season. Every facet of our play fell to pieces.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 8:37am
They couldnt have got the finances to a decent level over the last 2 years if it hadnt have been for our success on the field. This season is massive. I fear we, as we have always done, show promise, reach a semi final, pat ourselves on the back for being plucky losers, and dissappear for another 5-10 yrs.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 9:09am

They couldnt have got the finances to a decent level over the last 2 years if it hadnt have been for our success on the field. This season is massive. I fear we, as we have always done, show promise, reach a semi final, pat ourselves on the back for being plucky losers, and dissappear for another 5-10 yrs.

Speedy your point about the coaching last season is very hard to disagree with. I would hazard a guess that if the circumstances were ever to be repeated our board would make different decisions i.e. if Pivac & Jones were wanted by the WRU then they should resign immediately and be replaced. Too many dodgy decisions were made during the season - the treatment of Steff Evans, selecting Parkes at 10, insisting on selecting players out of position in the pack - Boyde at 6/8 clearly too small, Parkes early season being selected ahead of others playing better - Asquith & Fonotia.

Add to that our total inability during the season to improve our lineout shows an alarming neglect on the coaching side. Our first game at Ulster set the scene - 5 attacking 5-10 metre lineouts on our own ball, result lose 4 and no points. The fact that it didn't improve the whole season is frankly a disgrace. The continued success of the Scarlets cannot be divorced from good playing success and first rate off field management. They go hand in hand, neglect one and the whole fails. If we bumble along for the next two seasons without seriously threatening to win a tournament then the new coaching team will have failed. 

As for Pivac, Jones & Hayward's prospects with Wales - they will have to improve their coaching significantly from last season to stand any chance of success. Coaching quality is fundamental to success - you only have to look at the rapid improvement of South Africa under Rassie Erasmus to see evidence of that. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Speedy your point about the coaching last season is very hard to disagree with. I would hazard a guess that if the circumstances were ever to be repeated our board would make different decisions i.e. if Pivac & Jones were wanted by the WRU then they should resign immediately and be replaced. Too many dodgy decisions were made during the season - the treatment of Steff Evans, selecting Parkes at 10, insisting on selecting players out of position in the pack - Boyde at 6/8 clearly too small, Parkes early season being selected ahead of others playing better - Asquith & Fonotia.

Add to that our total inability during the season to improve our lineout shows an alarming neglect on the coaching side. Our first game at Ulster set the scene - 5 attacking 5-10 metre lineouts on our own ball, result lose 4 and no points. The fact that it didn't improve the whole season is frankly a disgrace. The continued success of the Scarlets cannot be divorced from good playing success and first rate off field management. They go hand in hand, neglect one and the whole fails. If we bumble along for the next two seasons without seriously threatening to win a tournament then the new coaching team will have failed. 

As for Pivac, Jones & Hayward's prospects with Wales - they will have to improve their coaching significantly from last season to stand any chance of success. Coaching quality is fundamental to success - you only have to look at the rapid improvement of South Africa under Rassie Erasmus to see evidence of that. 
And now no matter how Parkes plays he’ll still be nailed on to start for wales. Some awful coaching decisions or lack of last year glad we have fresh faces in. Last season was a combination of many factors leading us to not playing as a team
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

And now no matter how Parkes plays he’ll still be nailed on to start for wales. Some awful coaching decisions or lack of last year glad we have fresh faces in. Last season was a combination of many factors leading us to not playing as a team
Erm.. Parkes was also nailed on by Warren Gatland as well! Both Pivac and Gatland chose not to play Steff Evans but what do these coaches know 😉🤨
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 1:19pm

They couldnt have got the finances to a decent level over the last 2 years if it hadnt have been for our success on the field..........
Ok speedy mate. Take a step back from the computer and read what you wrote here.  Finances decent and success on the field. Give that man a cigar 😁

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 15 August 2019 at 1:20pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

They couldnt have got the finances to a decent level over the last 2 years if it hadnt have been for our success on the field..........
Ok speedy mate. Take a step back from the computer and read what you wrote here.  Finances decent and success on the field. Give that man a cigar 😁

By Jove Rob, I think he's got it !

As any sports team becomes more successful, it draws attention to its star players. Ultimately it inevitably costs more to retain them. Consequently, to maintain success on the field there needs to be success off the field or inevitably you're on a downward slope.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 9:55pm

In most sports, particularly rugby, the coach is the most important player. I would pay them the most.
Scarlets before Wales
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Erm.. Parkes was also nailed on by Warren Gatland as well! Both Pivac and Gatland chose not to play Steff Evans but what do these coaches know 😉🤨

The obvious difference in the treatment of Steff Evans is that Gatland still selected him for his squads which suggests that he is :-

1. Still one of the best wings in Wales and therefore should start for his region;
2. Talk of off field misdemeanours are questionable as Gatland would not countenance selecting him.

Therefore Gatland not selecting Steff ahead of North or Adams does not support Pivac not selecting him ahead of Ioan Nicholas or Tom Prydie. 
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 9:27am

The obvious difference in the treatment of Steff Evans is that Gatland still selected him for his squads which suggests that he is :-

1. Still one of the best wings in Wales and therefore should start for his region;
2. Talk of off field misdemeanours are questionable as Gatland would not countenance selecting him.

Therefore Gatland not selecting Steff ahead of North or Adams does not support Pivac not selecting him ahead of Ioan Nicholas or Tom Prydie. 

for whatever reason, a season to forget for steff, and others for various different reason.

New coach, new slates, new chances.
He should take a leaf out of Sevu Reece book. a prime example of taking second chances. lost his connacht deal due to his court case, then months after, crusaders needed a winger on short term deal due to an injury crisis. They give Reece a second chance at a pro rugby career by giving him a short deal, and he hasnt half taken it. now signed a long term deal with NZRU and is set to be a future All Black try scoring machine.
i saw he was only on a short term deal when he was terrorising S15 defenses, a winger under the attacking sets of our future coach, why not sign him, he's available. this forum didnt want him due to his off field issues. fair enough. but my point is, since then, his second chance has seen him gone from strength to strength.
this could happen to Steff. this last season for what ever reason, he has lost his starting spot at his region, he has lost a bench spot for his region, and even though he is in the Welsh training squad, it has cost him his World Cup spot, only injuries can put him on the plane IMO. To say he's still in the squad in a season where he was not selected for his region, lets be honest...Gatland has a huge history of doing that. he has his players and likes to see things for himself with them. form and selection dont really come into it with him. and in the back 3, the ones in the squad are pretty much all thats availble. (Liam had to be one of the best backs in Europe for 2 to 3 years before Gatland even picked him in the squad. Cubby had how many class seasons before selection. Dan Evans still never been selected...etc...there's plenty that play out of their skin to get into the squad that are ignored whilst players like Patch for example...another one that rarely played last year who was still getting in the Welsh set up despite Jarrods form).

But for Steff, here's a thought on him, - one thing I have noticed from Mooars plays at crusaders, he seems to love a 15 with serious gas.
Halfpenny is World Class but is a player nearing the end of his career so we need to start looking or devolping his huge boots.
We have Tomi Lewis in our ranks...a young kid who I belive is the quickest member of the squad according Pivac - quicker than Conbeer. He's a full bakc/wing. could he be main 15 for us this season...or...lets think back to the start of Steffs career with Llanelli RFC. A full back that hit perfect supporting lines scoring tries for fun. Is this something Brad Mooar will start to use Steff as? Defensively, not great, high balls will perhaps need to be worked on but he has had a season under hayward working on high balls and tackling in those circumstances, positioning may need to be worked on, but the raw materials are there IMO for him to shine at 15.
Wales have no 15 after Halfpenny and Liam, and in 4 years time, Mcnicholl will be in the squad come 6N, he may be the only one around in 4 years time to slot in at 15. so even Wales need to start looking at different options at 15. there's Amos who despite his qualities, when he's injured, he is injured. he doesnt seem to pick up knocks, only lengthy spells.
Thoughts?

and just to stick on topic...its good that the finances are good!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 9:51am

He’s been awful, well going on last season I’d say Pivac doesn’t know as much as everyone thinks hence why the players were like headless chickens and didn’t know who to speak to. Pivac turns up for 5 seconds before full time on judgement day and then doesn’t go to training for the o’s game, I guess he thought we could win easily based on how good we were the previous season and last 5 games of the season before that? Parked at 10 was a [beep]ing joke he can’t kick or pass to start with
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 9:53am

for whatever reason, a season to forget for steff, and others for various different reason.

New coach, new slates, new chances.
He should take a leaf out of Sevu Reece book. a prime example of taking second chances. lost his connacht deal due to his court case, then months after, crusaders needed a winger on short term deal due to an injury crisis. They give Reece a second chance at a pro rugby career by giving him a short deal, and he hasnt half taken it. now signed a long term deal with NZRU and is set to be a future All Black try scoring machine.
i saw he was only on a short term deal when he was terrorising S15 defenses, a winger under the attacking sets of our future coach, why not sign him, he's available. this forum didnt want him due to his off field issues. fair enough. but my point is, since then, his second chance has seen him gone from strength to strength.
this could happen to Steff. this last season for what ever reason, he has lost his starting spot at his region, he has lost a bench spot for his region, and even though he is in the Welsh training squad, it has cost him his World Cup spot, only injuries can put him on the plane IMO. To say he's still in the squad in a season where he was not selected for his region, lets be honest...Gatland has a huge history of doing that. he has his players and likes to see things for himself with them. form and selection dont really come into it with him. and in the back 3, the ones in the squad are pretty much all thats availble. (Liam had to be one of the best backs in Europe for 2 to 3 years before Gatland even picked him in the squad. Cubby had how many class seasons before selection. Dan Evans still never been selected...etc...there's plenty that play out of their skin to get into the squad that are ignored whilst players like Patch for example...another one that rarely played last year who was still getting in the Welsh set up despite Jarrods form).

But for Steff, here's a thought on him, - one thing I have noticed from Mooars plays at crusaders, he seems to love a 15 with serious gas.
Halfpenny is World Class but is a player nearing the end of his career so we need to start looking or devolping his huge boots.
We have Tomi Lewis in our ranks...a young kid who I belive is the quickest member of the squad according Pivac - quicker than Conbeer. He's a full bakc/wing. could he be main 15 for us this season...or...lets think back to the start of Steffs career with Llanelli RFC. A full back that hit perfect supporting lines scoring tries for fun. Is this something Brad Mooar will start to use Steff as? Defensively, not great, high balls will perhaps need to be worked on but he has had a season under hayward working on high balls and tackling in those circumstances, positioning may need to be worked on, but the raw materials are there IMO for him to shine at 15.
Wales have no 15 after Halfpenny and Liam, and in 4 years time, Mcnicholl will be in the squad come 6N, he may be the only one around in 4 years time to slot in at 15. so even Wales need to start looking at different options at 15. there's Amos who despite his qualities, when he's injured, he is injured. he doesnt seem to pick up knocks, only lengthy spells.
Thoughts?

and just to stick on topic...its good that the finances are good!
I’d use Adams at 15 over Mcnicholl as his tackling is not good enough for international level not great at club level either tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic