Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Patchell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patchell
    Posted: 12 August 2019 at 3:43pm
With Gareth Anscombe now out the RWC 2019 we could be set to be without Rhys for the start of the season. He's bound to get a few minutes under his belt this weekend versus England, so I thought I should start this thread just to wish him all the best after a troubling season last year. 

Pob lwc Rhys!
eds
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 3:57pm
Anscombe out with an ACL injury:

Patch now has a very good chance of making the plane - and possibly Jarrod Evans, too, though selecting 31 players only is tough.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 4:15pm
cometh the hour cometh the patch...hes got all the talent just needs to seize the day ..carpe diem
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 4:19pm

If Rhys shows he as recovered from the injury ravaged season he endured last season with a return of the confidence and brilliant form he showed 2 seasons back, I would not hesitate to take him, if not I would take Jarrod who was brilliant for the Blues last season and his superb at bringing his backs into the game .
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 5:11pm
is there a limit on squad sizes for the World Cup or is it Gatlands choice how many he brings seems silly to limit yourself on the other hand you cant take half of Wales to Japan Smile 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

is there a limit on squad sizes for the World Cup or is it Gatlands choice how many he brings seems silly to limit yourself on the other hand you cant take half of Wales to Japan Smile 

Strict limits. Squad of 31
If a player is is injured he cannot be replaced in the squad except for permanently, for example. So if someone has a niggle, there's a decision to be made. 
If a new player is named as a replacement, can't play for 48 hours
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 6:19pm
Evans likely to have first dibs I’d say.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Evans likely to have first dibs I’d say.
That seems to be the received wisdom yeah. Patch lost some ground last season due to fitness and patchy form I guess.
Was selfishly hoping he wouldn’t make the plane as he needs to play, which I don’t think was likely with a fit Anscombe and Biggar 
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2019 at 9:22pm
I still think Patchell is ahead of Evans based upon how he played out in Argentina. If he gets back to that level then he'll be close to first choice. Gatland and Co have now a few weeks to get his confidence up and get him playing the way we and they know he can. 

Form is temporary of course. Class is Permanent. 

Go On Patchell! 
eds
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 12:20am
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

I still think Patchell is ahead of Evans based upon how he played out in Argentina. If he gets back to that level then he'll be close to first choice. Gatland and Co have now a few weeks to get his confidence up and get him playing the way we and they know he can. 

Go On Patchell! 

Maybe it'll be a straight shoot out. Play them both, 40 mins each fr first 2 games. When squad gets selected, after 3rd game, the winner #10 plays the whole of the 4th. 
Scarlets before Wales
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:09am
slightly off topic, but I really hope rhys does go to the world cup and plays like he can do. but would we then think of picking up a no.10 or a versatile back to cover?
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Go On Patchell! 

If Gatland is anywhere near as good as I think he is he will have already spent a lot of time dealing with Rhys' problems. He will know if he can be trusted & Saturday I hope he gets his chance to start. His attacking ability make him the ideal replacement for Anscombe who I have never really been a big fan of. Having said that his performances during the 6 nations really changed my view and I was confident, with Rhys' issues, that he was our No 1. 

As for the Scarlets now that it looks as if Rhys will travel - we have Dan & Angus who we must hope come through the first few months of the season with no issues. If one goes down then Steff Hughes will step in leaving us very light at centre. I would suggest that any injury to 10/12/13 for the Scarlets and we will be into loan signings. Nicholas, Baldwin, Asquith & Steff Hughes along with our 10's need to stay fit until Fonotia comes back from Japan. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:07am
an added issue I think wales may also have is goalkicking. if rhys is playing 10 it will be added responsibility put on him if liam is playing 15 and no halfpenny out there.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

an added issue I think wales may also have is goalkicking. if rhys is playing 10 it will be added responsibility put on him if liam is playing 15 and no halfpenny out there.

In all honesty if Rhys or Jarrod plays at 10 then Halfpenny would probably start. That, of course, will depend on how they go. Rhys' kicking for us I would guess has been no less reliable than Leigh's. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:14am
I would think, given that Gatland won't want any injury to Biggar, Patch will start Saturday with Evans on the bench then they reverse that for the Ireland match in a fortnight. Then they would have to start with Biggar in the final match, along with Patch/Evans on the bench.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:34am
How good a goal kicker is Jarrod out of interest?

A dynamic performance bringing centres into play from either Rhys or Jarrod would certainly put them up for contention. I know Gatland is risk-adverse so Biggar will likely start but there will be games needing to be won off the bench for either of them and someone who can get the line moving would be nice. 

The Liam/Halfpenny one is interesting - would you start Biggar as you can then play Liam at FB or go with a flatter 10 and then have Halfpenny? Also, how fit is Halfpenny as he had a really dodgy season with concussions - must still be a concern and again favours Biggar/Liam. If Halfpenny starts I'd imagine Liam would be on the wing displacing Adams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic