Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Patchell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 11:20am
Patch before his concussion 100% the better player but he hasn’t even got to back to half the man he was yet when returning last season so not sure where he’s at right now.
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

How good a goal kicker is Jarrod out of interest?

A dynamic performance bringing centres into play from either Rhys or Jarrod would certainly put them up for contention. I know Gatland is risk-adverse so Biggar will likely start but there will be games needing to be won off the bench for either of them and someone who can get the line moving would be nice. 

The Liam/Halfpenny one is interesting - would you start Biggar as you can then play Liam at FB or go with a flatter 10 and then have Halfpenny? Also, how fit is Halfpenny as he had a really dodgy season with concussions - must still be a concern and again favours Biggar/Liam. If Halfpenny starts I'd imagine Liam would be on the wing displacing Adams.

Jarrod can be very good on his day - not sure how consistent he is, though.

As for who to pick - I'd say it depends on whether Rhys is completely recovered from the concussion which affected him last season. If he's 100%, he has more experience... if there are lingering doubts, then Jarrod gets the nod. Both are more dangerous runners than Biggar, obviously.

In fact, I'd be surprised if Biggar doesn't start v England, with one of the others on the bench.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

A dynamic performance bringing centres into play from either Rhys or Jarrod would certainly put them up for contention. I know Gatland is risk-adverse so Biggar will likely start but there will be games needing to be won off the bench for either of them and someone who can get the line moving would be nice. 

The Liam/Halfpenny one is interesting - would you start Biggar as you can then play Liam at FB or go with a flatter 10 and then have Halfpenny? Also, how fit is Halfpenny as he had a really dodgy season with concussions - must still be a concern and again favours Biggar/Liam. If Halfpenny starts I'd imagine Liam would be on the wing displacing Adams.

As for who to pick - I'd say it depends on whether Rhys is completely recovered from the concussion which affected him last season. If he's 100%, he has more experience... if there are lingering doubts, then Jarrod gets the nod. Both are more dangerous runners than Biggar, obviously.

In fact, I'd be surprised if Biggar doesn't start v England, with one of the others on the bench.

Bigger starting, Patch on the bench will suit Wales as Patch covers 10 and 15. Means they can name an out and out centre on the bench with Liam starting 15 and covering 14 and 11. No need for Halfpennys goal kicking with Biggar starting. Patch and Jarrod are both good enough kickers if not world class.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Bigger starting, Patch on the bench will suit Wales as Patch covers 10 and 15. Means they can name an out and out centre on the bench with Liam starting 15 and covering 14 and 11. No need for Halfpennys goal kicking with Biggar starting. Patch and Jarrod are both good enough kickers if not world class.
I think if Gatland is brave enough to select Patchell or Evans to start 10 in a big RWC game then he needs Halfpenny in the team. There’d be enough pressure on their shoulders as it is without having to worry about the goal kicking 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I think if Gatland is brave enough to select Patchell or Evans to start 10 in a big RWC game then he needs Halfpenny in the team. There’d be enough pressure on their shoulders as it is without having to worry about the goal kicking 
agree with that. Halfpenny is the main goal kicker. he plays, a form patch and jarrod can thrive. it would be a toss up between north and adams for the wing berth with liam being there as well.
Who do you see starting 10 this week?
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

agree with that. Halfpenny is the main goal kicker. he plays, a form patch and jarrod can thrive. it would be a toss up between north and adams for the wing berth with liam being there as well.
Who do you see starting 10 this week?

Yes definitely agree. If Biggar is not starting 10 Halfers needs to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic