Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets u23/A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Diolch 157cb
A pity, that once more it seems we only have ourselves to blame for a loss. The Scarlets need to begin instilling a determination to win along with our traditional skills.

I was thinking this myself especially with the RFC / Academy fringe players, where we have thrown games away in last 10 minutes or so due to lack of game management or lapses in concentration. This reflects the young squad with few old heads in the team unlike rivals, and this carries on to the u23/ A teams over the years as everything is geared to the Scarlets. That is the challenge posed of growing an Rfc fan base when you get competitive performance from the youngsters only to flag in the last quarter ( understandably) but there seems no  financial appetite to blend in a few older/ experienced players which would make such a difference. It cannot cost that much but again I am not expected to fund the cost like the Board. 

Perhaps my original post wasn't entirely accurate as I have no idea whether the players left at the end lacked the determination to hold on for the win, and as Reesy says our lapses are more probably due to lack of game management and the lack of experience in keeping the opposition in their own half (22 if possible) in the last 10 minutes, putting them under pressure to take risks going for a win. I think that if we had adopted that policy against the Dragons when we were 13 points up on Judgement Day we would not be in the Challenge Cup this season. So really if the Scarlets couldn't manage this under the new Welsh coaches, we shouldn't criticize a scratch Scarlets A side who had never before played together and were subject to numerous unsettling substitutions.

I am focusing more on the young players not the Scarlets senior team , ( although I agree that they have had problems on game control) and yes, you really cannot criticise young players as they are learning but flinging them all together or having multiple changes is an issue. Not sure what the answer is other than adding on a few seasoned heads to the RFC and keeping the A team consistent. We don’t have enough of a  player base imo which comes down to money 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 1:05pm
Thanks to 157cb for putting some flesh on the bones of the score.

I suppose the Scarlets see this tournament as an opportunity to look at some young players, which with substitutions etc. will inevitably mean that players are not 'well drilled' as a team... or is that a false assumption?

Do people think that winning these games is important, or are they all about checking out young talent? I am not sure how the coaches, or we the fans, look on these games.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 1:57pm
I think the fact that it’s clearly been a close, and so a compelling fixture, augers well for the value of the tournament.
Early days of course.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I suppose the Scarlets see this tournament as an opportunity to look at some young players, which with substitutions etc. will inevitably mean that players are not 'well drilled' as a team... or is that a false assumption?

Do people think that winning these games is important, or are they all about checking out young talent? I am not sure how the coaches, or we the fans, look on these games.
Realistically it’s about producing players for the Scarlets
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Realistically it’s about producing players for the Scarlets
Exaclty. 
The end goal is for these lads to have a good step up to regional rugby to a better standard perhaps to Welsh prem. 

There's some young guns around and with our squad being so depleted this year, ideal chance for some of these lads to stick their hands up for Mooar to take notice. Its all about building strength for the Scarlets. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2019 at 6:12pm
So did anyone (other than Jac, Ioan and Alex) stand out yesterday as possible future Scarlets, that we should be keeping an eye on, or even encouraging/inviting to join us at a lower level?
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 1:51am

So did anyone (other than Jac, Ioan and Alex) stand out yesterday as possible future Scarlets, that we should be keeping an eye on, or even encouraging/inviting to join us at a lower level?

Good question.
Scarlets before Wales
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 6:49pm

There was a brief report in the W Mail... the young scrum half, 'on trial' apparently, from RGC, scored three tries and looked good, it seems. I have unfortunately forgotten his name - Efan Jones, maybe?

I expect someone who saw the game can tell us more.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 8:43pm

As I said in the earlier post the two Llandovery boys Rhodri Jones and Stuart Worrell were outstanding but are 27 years of age, Efan Jones was excellent a constant threat in attack and excellent support runner, he his on trial at the Scarlets and may well make the senior squad this season .

The starting front row were excellent in a dominant scrum, all be it against a young Ulster pack
,of the younger lads Kallum Evans, Osian Knott and Jac Morgan showed there potential .

Edited by 157cb - 26 August 2019 at 10:04pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2019 at 9:14pm
Thanks Mark
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

A very poor 2nd half cost the Scarlets A, before kick off the Home team were further weakened with the withdrawal of Morgan Williams and Harry Doel.

After holding a first half lead at with a dominant scrum, front row forwards Steffan Thomas hooker Dan Booth and Stuart Worrell showing up well in the loose, scrum half Efan Jones a constant threat with 2 tries one a brilliant individual effort, centres Rhodri Jones a constant threat and young Osian Knott showing up well and full back Kallum Evans solid at full back .

With the front row and excellent scrum half substituted early in the 2nd half, the Scarlets defence which was outstanding in the first half started falling off tackles, with to many errors and failure to use the wind was disappointing .

In fairness to the young Ulster team they battled hard in the second half and there goalkicking was outstanding .

One disappointing aspect of the afternoon was the inconsistent officiating of Craig Evans at the breakdown . The Scarlets A had themselves to blame in time added on, after taking the lead with a Jac Wilson penalty, they only had to take the kick off get ball back to the 10 and kick for territory, but unfortunately the replacement 9 got charged down and Ulster seized there chance .
   The Scarlets A team needs to be strengthened for a tough test at Leinster next weekend, it was great to see Brad Mooar and all his family at the game .

Nice report Mark
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 9:06pm
Anyone point me in the direction of a fixture list for this setup? Someone tells me they play in Carms the bight before full team play connaught??
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/Elmo761
Gastric Band View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gastric Band Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 2:44pm
I'm struggling to find the A team fixtures  too. I remember that there was a news item on the new "improved" Scarlets website ages ago. Struggled to find it. Also struggled when I googled it. Is it me?
Gastric
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Gastric Band Gastric Band wrote:

I'm struggling to find the A team fixtures  too. I remember that there was a news item on the new "improved" Scarlets website ages ago. Struggled to find it. Also struggled when I googled it. Is it me?
Gastric Band View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gastric Band Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 11:49am
cheers minded!
Gastric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic