Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales World Cup Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 2:51pm
gatland stated no injuries, all fully fit. Pure selection.

Shocked about Rob Evans. 

Wales have one vulnerable scrum at the world cup now. 

Wyn Jones emergency tight head cover. 
Sponsored Links

shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 2:53pm
I wonder if Rob Evans  will holiday  in Japan now Wink
ynysddurfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynysddurfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 2:53pm
Only 5 props - a call up beckons for one at least, but both have been below their best for a while. Hopefully, if nothing else this snub will prompt them to up their game (assuming their bodies will allow of course).

Surprised but equally delighted for cubby. You always need characters on tour! And if Patch is given a chance, then he could come out of the rwc as #1 ten.

Meanwhile, we now have a better than expected squad for the start of what could be a really long season. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Pretty sure that Gats will just explain that Samson, Scott and Lee had injuries that restricted their full participation in the camps / build up.
Along the way that was the reason for investing more in Carre, Dillon and Watkin.

Fair enough really. It’s Gatland’s trademark to stick with a predetermined selection based on full buildup.

I'm sorry Scott didn't get in Wil. Parkes and Foxy have formed a decent duo for both Scarlets and Wales but I still feel Foxy was better with Scott as of a few years ago.
Feverpitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feverpitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:03pm
Rhys Carre ??? After yesterdys showing
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:05pm
How Carre is included and not Rob is very puzzling. Hope he can cover tight head...
Pleased for Wyn Jones, he's had a good build up and looks much sharper, has he lost weight?
Well done Cubby-always good to have an all rounder in a squad.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:09pm
what Aaron Shingler doing in this season is a little miracle. A season off for a bad injury at his age maybe can switch off the dreams who a player can have, but not for him.
In these tm he can show to Gatland all his potential and his shining form of two season ago.
For me he is a really class player, a model to follow and I m very happy to see him in the next world cup
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Pretty sure that Gats will just explain that Samson, Scott and Lee had injuries that restricted their full participation in the camps / build up.
Along the way that was the reason for investing more in Carre, Dillon and Watkin.

Fair enough really. It’s Gatland’s trademark to stick with a predetermined selection based on full buildup.

I'm sorry Scott didn't get in Wil. Parkes and Foxy have formed a decent duo for both Scarlets and Wales but I still feel Foxy was better with Scott as of a few years ago.

Thanks, really appreciated. He gave it everything he had, more than I could have ever imagined. He missed too much rugby this year, and so to that end it is understandable to select Owen, who in turn did nothing wrong.

Remains to be seen whether going with fitness/participation over experience in the overall selection works out ( to that end Hill is the only curious one, then again it’s a new injury and he did play a full part in the camps).

Edited by Wil Chips - 01 September 2019 at 3:30pm
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:14pm
Rob Evans not going and Aled Davies going are the two biggest surprises for me.

Risky with only 5 props and I've no idea what Aled Davies is there for.
What's going on?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:15pm
Well - certainly a few shocks there.

The biggest is probably taking Carre rather than Rob Evans - Carre wasn't convincing at scrum time, and didn't really show up in the loose, either. Rob is a top class international, but 'fit' or not, I don't think he's 'match fit' yet, which probably tipped the balance. Continuing with the props - taking only 5 is a gamble, but I expect the coaches will have a 'plan B' with replacements only a short journey away if required - if not, it's a real gamble! Samson has had a lot of injuries, and didn't look back to 100% - even so, he looked better than Brown, who has a lot of work to do. No wonder, really, that the coaches decided to only take two TH props. As for Smith - he's OK in the scrums, pretty mobile, and wins a fair share of turnovers (in reply to a Q as to why he's selected!).

This decision then allowed the coaches to unexpectedly choose 6 back row forwards - since Moriarty has had a bang recently and Aaron is, though not far away, maybe not totally at 100% match fit, this was a precaution. I'm delighted for our 'working class hero' Cubby - he's had to endure a lot of rejection by the national coaches - let's hope he gets the chance to shine from now on.

I suppose fitness doubts clinched a centre spot for Owen Watkin, as on the day I felt that Scott played better... he can count himself unlucky, for sure. It's a bit odd that they are risking Hill - he has been very good indeed for Wales in the last 18 months or so, and offers a lot more than Bradley... presumably, he's on stand-by. Seb Davies is more mobile, though, and would be more of a like-for-like replacement if Hill drops out, so maybe he's on the list of possible replacements, too.

Lane looked too raw positionally, and Amos can cover 15 as well as wing, so that makes sense.

Finally, in the 10 shoot-out, Patchell totally out-performed Jarrod E, and it would have been a travesty if he'd been left out - Rhys looked back to the cocky player he was before his injury, and I look forward to seeing him back in a Scarlets shirt!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Rob Evans not going and Aled Davies going are the two biggest surprises for me.

Risky with only 5 props and I've no idea what Aled Davies is there for.

They were always going to take three scrum halves, and he's the third in the squad ATM and did all the training camps, and isn't injured. QED.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:28pm
Hope they leave our loose heads alone  and not get them to play tight.
It didn't work out at all for Rhodri Jones.
philtheturk56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtheturk56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:45pm
There usually is a call up to cover injured players.
But lets make the most of all those that did not get called up.
I bet they feel gutted at missing out on the opportunity
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Thanks, really appreciated. He gave it everything he had, more than I could have ever imagined. He missed too much rugby this year, and so to that end it is understandable to select Owen, who in turn did nothing wrong.

Remains to be seen whether going with fitness/participation over experience in the overall selection works out ( to that end Hill is the only curious one, then again it’s a new injury and he did play a full part in the camps).

I would add my condolences to Dr M Wil. I have total belief in Scott's ability and have championed his case for many years. He is a class act and Gats will probably live to regret some of his decisions. Carre over Rob Evans if both are fit is mind blowing. Cubby despite being one of my favourite players can consider himself very lucky. I have a horrible feeling that our set piece will cost us in this tournament.

If both Samson & Rob are truly fit then those are massive calls and will really boost the Scarlets forward power during the first few months of the new season. 
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 3:58pm

I quite agree with you Will regarding participation in camps, but Hill made it without a minute of rugby since England in March.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2019 at 4:01pm
I guess where the talent pool is a little shallower or injuries prevail it does allow some latitude.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic