Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales World Cup Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 12:25pm
Robs averaged 20 games a season for us since his first game 6 years ago, and he's averaged 7 caps a season since his first Wales cap 4 and a half years ago.
That's fairly durable to me, well compared to someone who's durability at playing at test/club level is pretty much completely untested.
I get Gatland has plenty of credit in the bank and we've got no idea what really happens behind the scenes but it would be nice if the press challenged him now and again on some of the things he says to see how he reacts. 
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 12:25pm
Rob & Scott omissions aside, the thing I'm most baffled with is the decision to only take 2 THs, I know that Wyn can cover but I'm not sure that covering is what's needed at a global tournament.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 12:34pm
11 Scarlets
7 Ospreys
5 Blues (although 2 have never played for them)
4 Dragons
4 Outside Wales
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 1:59pm
from the outside it seems a strange decision with rob, one of the strangest I can ever remember.
I also think the scott w ommission is slightly odd, they had the 1 match and he was much better than watkin...scott has proved himself a class test centre for many years.
I agree the journos need to ask far better questions, I must admit I find their line of questioning mostly pathetic and lazy
But heyho Gats knows his onions and will be picking what he sees as his best available squad.
IF we get lucky with injuries we have a dangerous first team
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Robs averaged 20 games a season for us since his first game 6 years ago, and he's averaged 7 caps a season since his first Wales cap 4 and a half years ago.
That's fairly durable to me, well compared to someone who's durability at playing at test/club level is pretty much completely untested.
I get Gatland has plenty of credit in the bank and we've got no idea what really happens behind the scenes but it would be nice if the press challenged him now and again on some of the things he says to see how he reacts. 
They do 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 1:42pm
Apologies I should have clarified, challenge and then report on the response.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 3:02pm
Bet no one in future Welsh squads will want to room with Hadleigh!!

One of those who missed out was Owen Lane - my room-mate, 'The Lane Train' - and I thought he played really well against Ireland on the weekend. He scored his try and put in a great effort on his debut. On a personal note, it's another roomie down for me after my original room-mate, Gareth Anscombe, was ruled out of the World Cup because of injury.

Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 6:13pm
15 scarlets really šŸ˜‚
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2019 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Bet no one in future Welsh squads will want to room with Hadleigh!!

One of those who missed out was Owen Lane - my room-mate, 'The Lane Train' - and I thought he played really well against Ireland on the weekend. He scored his try and put in a great effort on his debut. On a personal note, it's another roomie down for me after my original room-mate, Gareth Anscombe, was ruled out of the World Cup because of injury.

Can we get him to sleep with the opposition, so to speak? Wink
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 1:11pm
THE PRIEST SPEAKS on the beeb today saying he doesnt think hes eligible for world cup emergency call up...TBH Id completely forgotten about him but if patch does get injured ..Priest seems a tasty option
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

THE PRIEST SPEAKS on the beeb today saying he doesnt think hes eligible for world cup emergency call up...TBH Id completely forgotten about him but if patch does get injured ..Priest seems a tasty option
He hasn't got 60 caps so he's ineligible. If Patchell got injured it's Jarrod Evans who will be called up.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He hasn't got 60 caps so he's ineligible. If Patchell got injured it's Jarrod Evans who will be called up.
It seems strange to think of Wales with no great depth at the legendary Fly Half position šŸ¤Ø
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 5:08pm

Rhys' point is that when his Bath contract ran out, he had no offers from Wales, so therefore couldn't return.

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 6:19pm

Thatā€™s not certain actually.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Thatā€™s not certain actually.
If not Jarrod, then who?

Or, are you referring to the Priestā€™s (in)eligibility? From my sketchy memory on this subject, is there a ā€œGet in the squad free, no matter where you areā€ card if youā€™ve been outside Wales and not had an offer to return?
In a world where you can be anything ā€“ Be Kind.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 12:29am
Imagine the run of events that led to Priestland starting at the world cup and getting us to the final. I'd love that for him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic