Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > RUGBY ARCHIVE > Rugby World Cup 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howley out, Jones in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:12am
So it transpires that the betting company integrity team contacted the WRU, not sure what they look for (i.e. simply betting on his own sport or something more specific like a top tryscorer for Wales for example knowing he could influence it) but be better if the WRU could either wrap it up asap or give a timescale for an outcome to avoid the inevitable daily questions about it.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:20am
It would be great if it could be cleared up soon but these things tend to rumble on. If Rob has betted on rugby matches he should come clean and take his punishment. If he has done nothing wrong/been stitched up then he must obviously fight it.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

He's obviously been stitched up,  I wonder if the WRU were due to pay him a massive payout at the end of his contract?
Explain?

who would know he'd placed any bets? Obviously he's got himself in to it by making some sort of bet in the first place but how has it come to light?
.Sadly some parts of the media are just unethical opportunists eg  ask Ben Stokes about his family been dragged up by tabloid press now  as it’s now “news”  to reprint 30 years later 😡 
How could you possible compare the Stokes situation, which isn’t journalism as far as I’m concerned, to this Howley situation? They are entirely different 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The rules are clear - nobody involved in the team/staff are allowed to bet on rugby - full stop. Howley was not ratted on by the press as some have suggested he was reported initially by a member of a betting company control group set up specifically to deal with these sort of issues.

He has not been sacked but is helping with inquiries. If he is found guilty he will receive a punishment; he has not been accused of match fixing - he is accused of betting on outcomes of rugby matches. Stephen will be attack coach for the duration of Wales' involvement in Japan. A very difficult issue with extremely bad timing well handled so far by the WRU. 
ClapClap
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 10:47am
If the stories doing the rounds are true then he’s a total wrong un and right in the mire. In fact if they are true it could be more than rugby authorities he has to speak to.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

If the stories doing the rounds are true then he’s a total wrong un and right in the mire. In fact if they are true it could be more than rugby authorities he has to speak to.

Well RR1972 I don't know where you got that from but lets wait & see shall we. I have never been a supporter of Howleys from a coaching perspective but he is innocent until proven guilty. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:16am
I think the WRU have acted professionally & swiftly with all of this...

In terms of what is in regulation 6

Regulation 6 is headed 'Anti-Corruption and Betting' and covers a whole host of sub-sections.

One of those is under Regulation 6 sub 3.1, which is titled 'Prohibited Betting'.

It emphasises no-one involved in the sport is permitted to bet on any rugby match, including players, coaches, backroom staff, agents and match officials.

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:40am

The rules are clear - nobody involved in the team/staff are allowed to bet on rugby - full stop. Howley was not ratted on by the press as some have suggested he was reported initially by a member of a betting company control group set up specifically to deal with these sort of issues.

He has not been sacked but is helping with inquiries. If he is found guilty he will receive a punishment; he has not been accused of match fixing - he is accused of betting on outcomes of rugby matches. Stephen will be attack coach for the duration of Wales' involvement in Japan. A very difficult issue with extremely bad timing well handled so far by the WRU. 
Bookies are notorious in not wanting to part with money hence the need for a team of people who look into betting practices and they are very good at their jobs,to be a well known figure in your sport and to place bets on matches your involved in is gross stupidity,to make big money you would have to bet quite a lot down as the odds are fairly skinny on one to one's.you read a lot about snooker,tennis and other sports so this make's howley look even more stupid.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I think the WRU have acted professionally & swiftly with all of this...

In terms of what is in regulation 6

Regulation 6 is headed 'Anti-Corruption and Betting' and covers a whole host of sub-sections.

One of those is under Regulation 6 sub 3.1, which is titled 'Prohibited Betting'.

It emphasises no-one involved in the sport is permitted to bet on any rugby match, including players, coaches, backroom staff, agents and match officials.

Jiffy used to back himself for a drop goal in matches,we made quite a bit of money at 7/2.Big smile
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:48am

Well RR1972 I don't know where you got that from but lets wait & see shall we. I have never been a supporter of Howleys from a coaching perspective but he is innocent until proven guilty. 
allegedly there is a damning was app message going about i’m sure others have seen it.  Apparently It mentions julie patterson  has been in charge of an internal investigation.  Who knows? If it is true and i say if , he is done for but of course he is innocent untill proven guilty 👍

Edited by RR1972 - 18 September 2019 at 12:34pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 1:09pm

allegedly there is a damning was app message going about i’m sure others have seen it.  Apparently It mentions julie patterson  has been in charge of an internal investigation.  Who knows? If it is true and i say if , he is done for but of course he is innocent untill proven guilty 👍

I take your point RR1972. I have to say it doesn't look great when he is sent home. Suggests that something serious has been unearthed. If so he has been very foolish. Hope it turns out to be a silly mistake and he just gets a dressing down. Anything more sinister & his career could be going backwards at an alarming rate. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 1:56pm

I take your point RR1972. I have to say it doesn't look great when he is sent home. Suggests that something serious has been unearthed. If so he has been very foolish. Hope it turns out to be a silly mistake and he just gets a dressing down. Anything more sinister & his career could be going backwards at an alarming rate. 

Worst case scenario is a total ban from all rugby.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 4:35pm
I wouldn’t put any stock into WhatsApp messages, they’re very easy to fake as seen recently.

I’ve heard about 4 different version of events, ranging from a £5 bet whilst drunk to thousands of pounds on a single outcome.

Let’s wait and see if it comes out. If not let’s not gossip.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 5:17pm
When the ceo and the chief compliance officer fly to
Japan it’s more than rumors guys
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 7:51pm

if it's on whats app it's public so would you like to share?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

I wouldn’t put any stock into WhatsApp messages, they’re very easy to fake as seen recently.

I’ve heard about 4 different version of events, ranging from a £5 bet whilst drunk to thousands of pounds on a single outcome.

Let’s wait and see if it comes out. If not let’s not gossip.
it's obviously more than a fiver punt,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic