Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs Glasgow (a)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

No conibear?thought he did well with what came his way last weekend
Has a slight knock so i'm told

Possibly from that shoulder charge.
Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:06pm
  Watched Tom James play against Munster A , does not seem to have lost any of his power and pace.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Tom James is an interesting selection. He certainly was once a handful with his size and speed, but whether he still has the pace and power to trouble Glasgow we shall have to wait to find out. Ioan Nicholas may have been a safer bet to replace Conbeer.
Tom James looked pretty sharp in the brief highlights I saw of our A team match v Munster A. He made a couple of clean breaks and scored a try. 
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:33pm
Glasgow look to bully you physically, especially at home. As well as Conbeer is coming on, Tom's physicality and aggression will come in handy.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Disappointed not to see Kruger feature again this week - obviously some fitness issues. Hard to sum up the Glasgow side - their pack looks stronger than ours with an excellent back row; backs evenly matched I would say. Happy with 1 point here anything else real bonus. 
Can’t agree here - I’d say we have the edge in the front row, are equally matched in the second row and back row. Phillips and MacLeod will have their work cut out vs the experienced pair of Harley and Gibbins but I think they’re well up to the challenge particularly having seen how well Josh performed last week.
I think in the backs the only place they have a real quality advantage is Huw Jones vs Steff but again Steff played very well last week.

Edited by SospanMawr - 03 October 2019 at 3:37pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:40pm
Great chance for a win.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Disappointed not to see Kruger feature again this week - obviously some fitness issues. Hard to sum up the Glasgow side - their pack looks stronger than ours with an excellent back row; backs evenly matched I would say. Happy with 1 point here anything else real bonus. 
Can’t agree here - I’d say we have the edge in the front row, are equally matched in the second row and back row. Phillips and MacLeod will have their work cut out vs the experienced pair of Harley and Gibbins but I think they’re well up to the challenge particularly having seen how well Josh performed last week.
I think in the backs the only place they have a real quality advantage is Huw Jones vs Steff but again Steff played very well last week.

Well we'll agree to differ. Their back row is their first choice; Josh will hold his own against Gibbins but at 6 & 8 we will struggle to compete. Swinson for me is better than either of our 2nd rows. Front row we have the edge but i am not a great fan of Jones.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:51pm

Well we'll agree to differ. Their back row is their first choice; Josh will hold his own against Gibbins but at 6 & 8 we will struggle to compete. Swinson for me is better than either of our 2nd rows. Front row we have the edge but i am not a great fan of Jones.
Is that back row really their first choice? For some reason I thought only Gibbins was but I’ve just checked and there’s only really Ryan Wilson to add.
Swinson of a few years ago maybe, but he’s getting on and they weren’t impressed with him on their forum last year.
Marc Jones in fairness hits his darts, makes his tackles and is unspectacular. I’ve got high hopes for the 3 young hookers Taylor, Daf and Shaun Evans with Dom Booth behind them but I wouldn’t risk any of those for an away game in Glasgow. 

I’m quite excited for this match.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 3:56pm

Is that back row really their first choice? For some reason I thought only Gibbins was but I’ve just checked and there’s only really Ryan Wilson to add.
Swinson of a few years ago maybe, but he’s getting on and they weren’t impressed with him on their forum last year.
Marc Jones in fairness hits his darts, makes his tackles and is unspectacular. I’ve got high hopes for the 3 young hookers Taylor, Daf and Shaun Evans with Dom Booth behind them but I wouldn’t risk any of those for an away game in Glasgow. 

Don't get me wrong Sospan last weeks game gave me a great boost that our coaching team are getting to grip with, lets face it, a pretty poorly performing team. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Glasgow and their result last weekend was poor regardless of how improved the Cheetahs are. I am desperately trying to keep a lid on my expectations for this season hence my happiness if we get 1 point. If we win then I am afraid the lid will be well and truly off!!!!
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 4:25pm
No comments on the ref four hours in - must be a record!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 4:29pm
[QUOTE=solva] No comments on the ref four hours in - must be a record![/QUOTE

Well we certainly got on George's wrong side when we played Edinburgh at home at the tail end of last season. Something changed HT in that game. Hope he has a consistent 80 mins tomorrow. It will be up to us then to adapt to his interpretations whether we agree with him or not.

Young though he is, I have confidence that Steff Hughes will 'manage' him well.

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 4:45pm

The coaches are really excited about Dom Booth. Huge potential apparently 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 5:24pm

Tom James is an interesting selection. He certainly was once a handful with his size and speed, but whether he still has the pace and power to trouble Glasgow we shall have to wait to find out. Ioan Nicholas may have been a safer bet to replace Conbeer.
Safer but lacks the speed. When you look at our choices of wingers he is the slowest over all I'd say and slowest off the mark. All pre season and a couple of A team features he has played in midfield. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Safer but lacks the speed. When you look at our choices of wingers he is the slowest over all I'd say and slowest off the mark. All pre season and a couple of A team features he has played in midfield. 

True, Ioan doesn't have the pace of say McNicholl, but he very rarely takes the wrong option and puts everything into defence. Our new coaches may be correct to guess that his future possibly lies more in midfield, and last season I suggested that with his skills he might even make a fine 10.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The coaches are really excited about Dom Booth. Huge potential apparently 
I’d say all 4 of our “development” hookers have the chance to get a professional contract, whether it’s here or elsewhere. That’s a bit ridiculous to think about, especially considering we have two hookers at the World Cup, and a few ex players about at the position too.
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2019 at 6:27pm
I'd even suggest that Ioan might try and play full back - for some time now he has been trusted ahead of others on the bench. I think long term Ioan will have a position in our starting XV and I'm sure he'll want to just play as much as he can. He's mature far beyond his years and by now has a fair amount of experience.

It's an exciting time to be a Scarlets supporter, Brad is an infectious character by the looks of it, I love his positivity and he already seems to understand the need for different styles and unorthodox tactics. He's said himself this is just a project that needs a boost not a broken one. 

The team is nice, and I expect that there is much more to come from Tom Phillips. If he can add 2 or 3% every week and build himself into the pro game then he'll be useful cover to Shingler. Macleod really is smashing it this season, he's physical beyond what I could have hoped for a season or two ago. His jackal has come on and he's always had the ability to handle the ball. Cassiem looked to be working hard and like Tom I expect him to grow into the shirt this season. Dan Davis off the bench is very exciting and I look forward to seeing him and Baldwin get in some open space tomorrow. Davis for me is the most exceptional talent I have seen come through the scarlets for at least 5 years. 

We must be robust in defence and become even more aggressive than we were last week - with this pitch tomorrow we might even need to play a more possession based game and kcik less than last week and they will likely look to counter attack. 

Pob lwc Scarlets!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic