Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Foxes Knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

lane it is then. Odd call tbh
Don't find it odd good player far better than Amos who was selected ahead of him. 
Sponsored Links

stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 7:55pm
agreed. Sadly Amos appears to be wholly out of his depth . Glad we didn’t sign him ! 
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:08pm
Odd that Patch and halfpenny were left unused subs in the france game Wales looked flat for the most part. 

Lane is a solid player but I can’t see him getting a game unless Parkes and Foxy are both out. Scott is way off form and fitness, unfortunately his move to the Ospreys has really seen a drop in his play, that being said they have champions cup and we don’t. 

Realistically we need to sign a player who can play there. I too repeat what others have said, i think Foxy and Parkes will be out for a long while after the cup.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:14pm
agreed that Scott is a shadow of his former self.  There’s a welsh qualified centre called Tompkins ? At sarries.  Perhaps a target for us as a future replacement.
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Odd that Patch and halfpenny were left unused subs in the france game Wales looked flat for the most part. 

Lane is a solid player but I can’t see him getting a game unless Parkes and Foxy are both out. Scott is way off form and fitness, unfortunately his move to the Ospreys has really seen a drop in his play, that being said they have champions cup and we don’t. 

Realistically we need to sign a player who can play there. I too repeat what others have said, i think Foxy and Parkes will be out for a long while after the cup.

We have Fonotia,Steff,Baldwinand (Asquith when fit in 6 weeks) and dare I say Nicholas. Plus a few have mentioned Osian Knott?

This is the time for the youngsters to get game time and not go signing journeymen. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Patch at 12 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:20pm
oh mr fonz it was going well until you wanted patch at 12
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:22pm
Lane has got size and pace. The way Gats likes them. Inexperienced though. I’m guessing North will show up in the centre?
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

We have Fonotia,Steff,Baldwinand (Asquith when fit in 6 weeks) and dare I say Nicholas. Plus a few have mentioned Osian Knott?

This is the time for the youngsters to get game time and not go signing journeymen. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Patch at 12 

With regards Osian Knott watched this young man in the three home A games this season, the lad his QUALITY!!! Going to be a great 12 moving forward, only 19 but 6ft 3inches a solid defender, excellent kicker and strong runner, he also seems to have so much time on the ball .
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Don't find it odd good player far better than Amos who was selected ahead of him. 
you dont find it odd. A back rower is injured two centres carrying knocks and we call up a winger?  Good player but seems odd to me
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 6:13am

you dont find it odd. A back rower is injured two centres carrying knocks and we call up a winger?  Good player but seems odd to me
agreed. 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 7:56am

I'm with you RR1972. I appreciate that Scott has been injured but he attended pre Japan training and has played 3 games for the Ospreys. Add to that his vast big game experience & you have the perfect back up to a midfield which is carrying some major baggage. Lane, in comparison, has never started a pro 14 game at 13 let alone an International. The thought of either Lane or North defending at 13 against any of the remaining 3 teams frightens the hell out of me. 
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 10:03am
It reflects the lack of alternative centre options I'm afraid. I can only assume they got feedback to say Scott still not A1 and have taken the decision that George in centre is better than a non-A1 Scott. A fully fit on on-form Scott would for sure be flying out there, and probably would have made the initial squad. But Watkins does a good job and so if Foxy back fit for Saturday and Hadleigh still fit to play then we have 3 genuine centres still.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 11:12am
It’ll be Halfpenny to fullback, Sanjay to wing and North to centre. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 11:53am
We in Wales have strength in depth but NOT in all positions.

Centre is undoubtedly one where we lack strength. We have already seen how Warren dealt with Samson & Rob, who both played far more than Scott over the past season, and also were probably fitter than him going into World Cup camp.

After the 3 in Japan and Scott, who is the next one and fit enough to go into a game, knowing the patterns and style of play. I can't think of any !!

Due to being in Japan I have only seen the last Scarlet game and while the 2 props played I do feel that they are a little off the pace, especially for key World Cup matches. By the way I take no satisfaction in saying that.

I feel that while Scott was probably Warren's preferred choice but the feedback from the Ospreys and others may well have convinced him to go for Owen Lane.

Experience is one thing money can't buy, BUT it must be backed up with fitness, and especially match fitness. 

Remember playing in 3 games in the Pro14 is nothing like the games in Japan. I really feel for Scott who if 100% fit was a certaintinty for the party, but little has gone his way since the move to Ospreys.

Just good luck Scott for the rest of the season.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

We in Wales have strength in depth but NOT in all positions.

Centre is undoubtedly one where we lack strength. We have already seen how Warren dealt with Samson & Rob, who both played far more than Scott over the past season, and also were probably fitter than him going into World Cup camp.

After the 3 in Japan and Scott, who is the next one and fit enough to go into a game, knowing the patterns and style of play. I can't think of any !!

Due to being in Japan I have only seen the last Scarlet game and while the 2 props played I do feel that they are a little off the pace, especially for key World Cup matches. By the way I take no satisfaction in saying that.

I feel that while Scott was probably Warren's preferred choice but the feedback from the Ospreys and others may well have convinced him to go for Owen Lane.

Experience is one thing money can't buy, BUT it must be backed up with fitness, and especially match fitness. 

Remember playing in 3 games in the Pro14 is nothing like the games in Japan. I really feel for Scott who if 100% fit was a certaintinty for the party, but little has gone his way since the move to Ospreys.

Just good luck Scott for the rest of the season.

I agree with your comments - and your guesses are likely correct.

Like you, I haven't seen Rob or Samson pulling up any trees so far this season - against weakened opposition, too. I have said before that the coaches mustn't have thought they were fit enough - and I daresay the same applies to Scott, unfortunately.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2019 at 3:26pm
The term used by Gatland was durability not fitness. 3 starts in 3 games suggests he may have been wrong. So far they have got away with it - that could end come Sunday if either of the starting props get injured early doors or if its tight with 20 minutes to go. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic